A Drive Through Cape Breton Highway 104 ( The Corrs Dreams)
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Uploaded on May 7, 2008
A Drive Through Cape Breton Highway 104
(May 4 2008) Music By The Corrs Dreams
Porthawksbury, St Peters, Big Pond, Eastbay, Sydney Forks (Nova Sctoia)
Cape Breton Island (French: île du Cap-Breton - formerly île Royale, Scottish Gaelic: Eilean Cheap Breatuinn, Míkmaq: Únamakika, simply: Cape Breton) is an island on the Atlantic coast of North America. It likely corresponds to the French word "Breton", referring to Brittany.
Cape Breton Island is part of the province of Nova Scotia, Canada. Although physically separated from the Nova Scotia peninsula by the Strait of Canso, it is artificially connected to mainland Nova Scotia by the Canso Causeway. The island is located east-northeast of the mainland with its northern and western coasts fronting on the Gulf of St. Lawrence; its western coast also forming the eastern limits of the Northumberland Strait. The eastern and southern coasts front the Atlantic Ocean; its eastern coast also forming the western limits of the Cabot Strait. Its landmass slopes upward from south to north, culminating in the highlands of its northern cape. A saltwater estuary, Bras d'Or Lake, dominates the centre of the island.
The island is divided into four of Nova Scotia's eighteen counties: Cape Breton, Inverness, Richmond, and Victoria. Their total population as of the 2001 census numbered 147,454 "Cape Bretoners"; this is approximately 16% of the provincial population. Cape Breton Island has experienced a decline in population of approximately 6.8% since the previous census in 1996. Approximately 72% of the island's population is located in the Cape Breton Regional Municipality (CBRM) which includes all of Cape Breton County and is often referred to as Industrial Cape Breton, given the history of coal mining and steel manufacturing in this area.
The island contains five reserves of the Mi'kmaq Nation, these being: Eskasoni, Membertou, Wagmatcook, We'kopaq/Waycobah, and Potlotek/Chapel Island. Eskasoni is the largest in both population and land area.
The island measures 10,311 square kilometres in area (3,981 sq mi), making it the 75th largest island in the world and Canada's 18th largest island. Cape Breton Island is composed mainly of rocky shores, rolling farmland, glacial valleys, barren headlands, mountains, woods and plateaus. Geological evidence suggests that at least part of the island was originally joined with present-day Scotland and Norway, now separated by millions of years of continental drift.
The northern portion of Cape Breton Island is dominated by the Cape Breton Highlands, commonly shortened to simply the "Highlands", which are an extension of the Appalachian mountain chain. The Highlands comprise the northern portions of Inverness and Victoria counties. In 1936 the federal government established the Cape Breton Highlands National Park covering 949 km2 (366 sq mi) across the northern third of the Highlands. The Cabot Trail scenic highway also encircles the coastal perimeter of the plateau.
Cape Breton Island's hydrological features include the Bras d'Or Lake system, a salt-water fjord at the heart of the island, and freshwater features including Lake Ainslie, the Margaree River system, and the Mira River. Innumerable smaller rivers and streams drain into the Bras d'Or Lake estuary and onto the Gulf of St. Lawrence and Atlantic coasts.
Cape Breton Island is joined to the mainland by the Canso Causeway, which was completed in 1955, enabling direct road and rail traffic to and from the island, but requiring marine traffic to pass through the Canso Canal at the eastern end of the causeway.
Cape Breton Island is divided into four counties: Cape Breton, Inverness, Richmond, and Victoria.
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Standard YouTube License
- 16:40 Cape Breton Chats 7by Peter MacInnis4,730 views
- 4:57 Death of Community: A Story from Cape Bretonby OperationMaple10,947 views
- 4:49 A Drive Through Cape Breton Highway 105 (Natalie MacMaster David's Jig )by Buddy Penney16,745 views
- 8:34 Cape Breton Rita MacNeil She's Called Nova Scotia And Farwell To Nova Scotia (June 21/09)by Buddy Penney28,462 views
- 5:06 A Bit More Of Sydney Nova Scotiaby Buddy Penney15,808 views
- 7:50 Dwayne Coteby Marty MacDougall8,002 views
- 4:25 A Bit Of Sydney And Sydney River Nova Scotiaby Buddy Penney5,256 views
- 5:44 Cape Breton Tear Jerkerby James Manship177,305 views
- 4:11 Driving Thru St. Peter's Cape Breton Nova Scotiaby Brian E189 views
- 7:01 Cape Breton Travelogueby ceolach6,353 views
- 3:42 Summer In Cape Bretonby Mike Murphy17,741 views
- 5:28 "Dance With me Daily" the Barra MacNeilsby kf6956,285 views
- 3:20 Canso Causeway, Nova Scotia, Canada during storm HDby swampfoot12,647 views
- 5:29 The MacLellan Trioby Spike MacInnis3,255 views
- 5:39 Beautiful Cape Breton Songsby Spike MacInnis25,403 views
- 6:31 JERRY HOLLANDby AshleyMacIsaacLIVE35,062 views
- 6:04 A taste of Cape Breton Islandby There on Earth29,423 views
- 4:15 North Sydney And Sydney Mines Cape Breton Nova Scotia (June 16/09)by Buddy Penney27,866 views
- 4:14 The Barra MacNeils Cape Breton,Nova Scotiaby Buddy Penney100,691 views
- 2:45 Tri Nova Scotia Celtic Fiddle Dance Story & Songby ceolach2,098,894 views
- Loading more suggestions...