Published on Oct 19, 2012
In this video the independent research consultancy, Mindlab, were commissioned by Taylor Walker to identify the formula for the perfect pint. They enlisted the help of 1,000 volunteers and used complex mathematical modelling techniques to reveal what conditions are required to enjoy the perfect pint... Along the way, they also uncovered some differences in the UK's drinking habits.
EMBARGOED UNTIL 00:01 FRIDAY 19TH OCTOBER 2012
E = THE SCIENCE BEHIND THE PERFECT PINT
SCIENTISTS REVEAL MATHEMATICAL FORMULA FOR ENJOYING THE PERFECT PINT
Whether its music, snacks or even the presence of a pub dog, we all seem to have an idea of the 'best' conditions in which to enjoy a tipple. But whilst we all have our personal preferences, is there an exact science behind the perfect pint?
The independent research consultancy, Mindlab, were commissioned by Taylor Walker to identify the formula for the perfect pint. They enlisted the help of 1,000 volunteers and used complex mathematical modelling techniques to discover what conditions are required to enjoy the perfect pint.
From this, a formula was developed to identify how much enjoyment can be obtained from drinking a pint of ale depending on the ambient surroundings in which it's drunk.
As well as identifying the optimum environment in which to drink a pint, the research commissioned by Taylor Walker also revealed some differences in the UK's drinking habits:
• More men prefer to play games whilst having a drink, with 16% agreeing that the activity actually improves the taste of their drinks.
• One in ten 35-44 year olds noted a cheeky lunchtime pint tasted best, whereas 29% those aged between 18 and 24 preferred a tipple on a Sunday afternoon.
• Almost seven in ten (69%) of those aged 65+ believe loud music would spoil their pint compared to only 17% of 18-24 year olds.
• Nearly one in four (23%) of the 65+ group say too many people around them when they drink actually detracts from the taste of their pint.
WE'RE DRINKING IN THE RAIN
The research found that where you live also shapes your drinking habits:
• Nearly one in ten (9%) people from Northern Ireland noted a rainy day as the best conditions to enjoy a pint.
• Nearly half (49%) of Welsh people claim to favour drinking in a happy mood. However, they might not be so happy drinking a pint with someone from the South West, with 10% of people taking 30 minutes or more to finish one -- the slowest in the UK.
• The Welsh are more tolerant of loud music, with 17% of natives saying that it actually enhances the taste of their pint.
THE FORMULA FOR THE PERFECT PINT:
E = -(0.62T2 + 39.2W2 + 62.4P2) + (21.8T + 184.4W + 395.4P + 94.5M -- 90.25V) + 50(S + F + 6.4)
• E is a factor describing overall enjoyment.
• T is the ambient temperature in degrees Celsius.
• W is the number of days until you are required back at work.
• P is the number of people with whom you are drinking.
• M is related to your mood whilst drinking the pint.
• V is related to the volume of the music being played.
• S and F are related to the availability of snacks and food.
For further information, visit www.taylor-walker.co.uk
Standard YouTube License