Defense state Robin Bain committed suicide
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Uploaded on Apr 8, 2009
Earlier today, defence lawyers said evidence will be given that a live bullet found near his father's body could not came from the alcove where prosecutors allege David fired.
David Bain, 37, is on trial for murdering his parents and three siblings, but his defence team are arguing that his father Robin shot dead the rest of the family before turning the rifle on himself on June 20, 1994.
Bain's lawyer, Michael Reed QC, today said a UK expert would give evidence that a live bullet found in the Bains' lounge, near Robin's body and the rifle, had been misfired.
This bullet was not in the adjoining alcove where the prosecution has said David fired the rifle at Robin, 58.
Mr Reed put it to pathologist Alexander Dempster that if David Bain had misfired the rifle, it was not logical to suggest Robin would have simply stood and waited for David to reload.
Mr Reed: "It's just plain barmy isn't it?".
Dr Dempster: "I'm not going to use words like barmy, but it's unlikely".
Evidence would be given that this bullet must have fallen from a rifle fired in the lounge, Mr Reed said.
If Robin Bain was standing, rather than kneeling, as the evidence suggested, Mr Reed asked what would have happened if Robin had shot himself.
Dr Dempster said he would have been immediately incapacitated and collapsed.
Yesterday Dr Dempster gave evidence at the High Court that the gunshot wound that Robin Bain suffered in the left temple was "very unusual" for a self-inflicted wound.
He said it was unlikely, though not impossible, that Robin committed suicide.
However, today Dr Dempster agreed that if Robin shot himself, he would likely have used positions different to those he showed on Tuesday.
Dr Dempster had demonstrated it was hard to pull the rifle trigger while holding the gun to his temple.
Mr Reed said today a pathologist from the United Kingdom who did an autopsy on Princess Diana would be among those saying that the site of the bullet wound in Robin's head would not be unusual for a suicide.
Mr Reed put to Dr Dempster that his demonstrations yesterday were unrealistic and unhelpful, because Robin would never have held the rifle up in that way to shoot himself.
Dr Dempster said: "I'm perfectly happy to accept the rifle could have been rested on a point such as a chair".
Mr Reed put it to him that it was ridiculous to theorise that Robin would have held the gun against his temple with his arm in that way he demonstrated.
Dr Dempster: "I can't comment whether it's ridiculous or not. It's just a possibility".
Mr Reed said experts in the United Kingdom would demonstrate how easy it was for Robin to have shot himself. Dr Dempster agreed, after viewing images of the UK testing, that it could be done.
In one image, a reconstruction was done with a person with the rifle having a foot on a chair.
Mr Reed: "It seems relatively easy to shoot yourself in that position if you so choose?"
Dr Dempster: "It could be done".
Mr Reed put to him it was much more likely that Robin would have chosen positions as illustrated in the images from the defence experts he was shown.
Dr Dempster: "One has to consider what a person in that situation would do. There's no certainty that an individual would follow a particular course"
Dr Dempster said statistics showed that one in eight people who committed suicide with a gun would shoot themselves in the left temple, where Robin Bain's wound was.
He agreed with Mr Reed he was not a ballistics expert.
Mr Reed: "Really these tests need to be done by a ballistics expert, don't they?"
Dr Dempster: "Ideally".
Mr Reed said a previous expert witness had stated it was more likely that Robin suffered the gunshot wound while standing up rather than kneeling. The Crown case in the past has been that Robin was kneeling when he was shot by David Bain.
A rifle magazine was found alongside Robin's body on its edge. Dr Dempster agreed with Mr Reed that he stated that the magazine had been moved or re-placed in the examinations of the Bain house.
The court proceedings had an early break this morning as one of the jurors broke into tears.
Standard YouTube License
- 1:18 Fla. Teen Commits Suicide With Live Web Audienceby AssociatedPressFeatured 6,475,832
- 5:43 Robin Bain 'unlikely' to have shot himself, pathologist tells courtby nzheraldtv 908 views
- 3:01 Crown case - Six points -David Bain trial.by nzheraldtv 1,645 views
- 2:48 David Bain trial - Bloodied socks evidence.by nzheraldtv 1,209 views
- 1:28 David Bain trial. Murray Stapp 1st policeman at scene.by nzheraldtv 593 views
- 1:06 cop murders 6 kids, then commits suicideby luckyvet 3,247,239 views
- 3:12 Ashley Smith, 19, prison inmate commits suicide by hanging herself in her inmate as guards watchedby tleafs0 909,871 views
- 6:11 Jeffrey Dahmerby overtree 416,578 views
- 0:21 Japanese Whalers Shoot Themselves in the Face with Pepper Sprayby fred100446 47,423 views
- 0:53 Deputy Walks in on Robbery in Progess San Dimasby Chaplain Bill 990,455 views
- 0:42 Guy hit in head with .50 caliber ricochetby Kakigouru 20,973,825 views
- 21:09 Suicide Forest in Japanby vice 4,608,163 views
- 1:04 Murder Suicide Survivorby UBoutreach 7,651 views
- 1:00 9/11 witness commits suicideby Leslie Schwartz 20,609 views
- 6:14 Teen Suicideby ita1ianguy2002 246,308 views
- 3:41 Tactical Innovations 10/22 Gatling Gunby GunWebsites 766,629 views
- 2:12 13 Year Old Girl Commiting Suicide MSNBCby Gothrock44 2,287,050 views
- 1:33:35 A Question of Justiceby fingustis 922 views
- 24:38 Fight Your Way to a Rifle, Pt 1 (Nutnfancy Run 'N Gun)by nutnfancy 288,402 views
- 9:56 Pathologist Bain's body was movedby Mindbender66 1,093 views
- Loading more suggestions...