Real High School Blog - Why Our Current Education System Is Failing
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Uploaded on May 27, 2010
Real High School Blogs - Why Our Current Education System Is Failing - As my high school career is slowly coming to an end (I graduate June 11th) I have found myself particularly reflective on the value I have received from high-school. I end my high school career with a sub-par 2.5 G.P.A ,having never received a prestigious academic award, and a quick glance at my attendance record would reveal numerous absences (OK 32 days just this year.) If I listen to what I have been socially conditioned to believe: Sub-par grades + no awards + poor attendance = the end of my life Right? I beg to differ. Chasing The A - For most of my life (along with millions of other students) I have been taught to believe that the secret to a successful life is to get outstanding grades. Slowly over the years however, I have discovered this premise to be completely false. Luckily, over the past few years, I have been fortunate enough to immerse myself in a variety of empowering perspectives and thus have come to understand that we are 100 percent responsible for our life. I have been fortunate enough to recognize that education goes beyond just the classroom. Life is our greatest mentor. Myself, along with millions of other students, have failed to apply ourselves, not because we're not smart enough, not because we don't care about our future, but because we are tired of being dictated by a system of letters. Continually brain-washing students into believing good grades are essential in living a successful life, has had some disastrous consequences: Students are more stressed then ever. Cheating has become increasingly rampant. Students spend an excessive amount of time obsessing over getting perfect scores (after all they've been told they won't have a job if they don't.) In fact, a classmate of mine routinely stays up past 2 A.M in order to stay a float. Excessive? I think so. What's even more depressing about our current education system, is that it leaves millions of "average" students behind. Millions of kids with incredible potential are left to die (educationally speaking) never realizing their true potential. Many of my current classmates, each of whom could literally change the world, are paralyzed by fear, and are instead choosing the path of security: That is get good grades. Get a job. Be happy. Unfortunately that's rarely how it unfolds.
We can live our purpose today, much of what we learn in school is not practical in the real world. Where are the courses on blogging? Where are the money management courses? Where are the classes dedicated to eradicate poverty? Where are the classes that help us find our purpose? Our current education system places too much emphasis on the A and not enough emphasis on unleashing the promise that lies in each and every one of us. One of the most startling shortcomings of our current education system, is the lack of relevant reading. We are forced to read (A.K.A sparknote) ancient text that we often find difficult to understand. All this does is encourage a distaste for reading. I'm not suggesting that ancient texts such as Shakespeare don't have any value, however what the students read should be up to them. "But wait! You say: Then they will just be reading the latest trash." To which I reply " Yes, but at least they will be reading." Our top priority must be to instill a passion for reading. The progress of humanity depends on it. A number of my friends routinely say " I hate reading". And I always reply, " You just haven't found the right book."
For reading to complement education like it needs to, the books we read must be relevant to us. Not our teachers, not our parents, but us. Each book should be likened to a puzzle piece completing our soul. Our current education system is putting too much effort into things that don't matter. Busy work. Perfect grammar. Memorization. All of which does nothing for us 10 years down the road. Over the past 4 years I have read close to 100 books. Only 15 of those books being school related. Those 75 books (OK I'm rounding here) I read outside of school completely transformed me. My philosophy, my attitude, who I am today, all stem from the numerous books I devoured. Education is about unleashing one's confidence. Education is learning from failure. Education is growing from experience. Education is discovering your passions then pursuing them. Education is not rote memorization. Education is not analyzing books that have no meaning to you. Education is not wasting your time on subjects you hate.
by Bud on May 22, 2009
to read Buds full blog:
Sketches by By: Chris Scioscio
Standard YouTube License
- 26:35 "JAPÓN: PUNTO Y APARTE." DOCUMENTAL SOBRE LA EDUCACIÓN EN JAPÓNby COLEVISIONTV103,915 views
- 4:17 Frogs by the Millions Flood Greece, Precursor To a Major Earthquake? Breaking News!!!by Cathy Krafft22,787 views
- 9:41 911 Clues EVERYONE MISSEDby antiklaus2,927,580 views
- 11:14 Have you Ever Really Loved your Parents? Heaven's Journey to Lifeby Cathy Krafft271 views
- 5:21 America's High School Dropout Epidemicby NewsPoliticsInfo28,069 views
- 11:27 A History with Life After Death - Creation's JTL 2012by Cathy Krafft372 views
- 7:51 Katharine Birbalsingh criticises failed education systemby devilskitchen8,316 views
- 2:18 The Dr. Phil Show: Whatever it Takesby DrPhilShow4,709 views
- 1:37 HIGH SCHOOL THUGS FIST FIGHT DURING LUNCH BREAKby StreetFightsHoodFights85,313 views
- 7:02 '' Wolves in IN PLAIN SIGHT Dress Like Sheep ''They Laughing AT US!!!''by Don Willim1,245 views
- 2:58 University, College, Higher Education, Memorization, Propaganda, Indoctrination, Dogmaby lcharlesss1,382 views
- 9:25 A Nation In Crisis: America's Education System Is Brokenby LearnToLearn1444,429 views
- 1:31 2012 What if you die Before You Ascend?by Cathy Krafft744 views
- 55:16 Future of Education - High School and College educational trends - preparing students for life. Syllabus, curriculum, classroom, teaching styles - conference keynote speaker Patrick Dixon for NAISby Patrick Dixon Futurist YouTube Videos24,023 views
- 3:44 High School Student Punks His Teacher,In Gets Slammed!!!.3gpby kwillischristopher595,407 views
- 10:32 La vecina educación hiperactiva hd.mp4by Cesar Villon293,568 views
- 8:02 Love Month: "You Complete Me"by Cathy Krafft384 views
- 6:08 Why I Hate School But Love Education||Spoken Wordby sulibreezy4,271,405 views
- 4:34 CNN: How Stupid Are Americans?by Rick Shenkman919,782 views
- 4:31 2010:Why is Man so Dumb - Revealing the Education Systemby ANDREWGABLE11,024 views
- Loading more suggestions...