Shaping Explained- Part 1 of Training Your Dog to Turn on a Light Switch with Clicker
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Uploaded on Jan 1, 2009
Follow Jessie's actual progress during the first steps learning to turn on a light switch. In under 4 minutes (approx. 45 clicks), she has the main idea.
WARNING: If your dog has ever been on an e-collar (electric zaps as punishment), please DO NOT train your dog this way for a live light switch. Their wet noses make contact and cause a small zap. There are other switch adaptors (drop down) that would be suitable for dogs with this background as the dog does not have to interact with the actual switch. I discovered tis when training Lucy, my rescue dog. She had been on an e-collar before we got her and she eagerly trained on the dummy switch. When I tried using the live switch, she touched it once, then ran away in fear and refused to touch it again. PLEASE, please, please do not use E-collars on your dogs. Not only is it punishing to your dog, there is too much unpredictable fallout after you stop using them.
Have you considered training your own assistance or service dog? Or trying out a new trick to impress friends?
Clicker training is the best way I have found to successfully train almost any dog.
I have been asked several times for footage of a dog learning a task or being shaped for the first time so new trainers could see the actual process and know what to expect. So here it is! Lots of repetition. Note she doesn't get clicked for any behavior she offers that I don't want later on such as pawing, stepping on or scratching the switch plate.
The only editing was for slow periods where she scrambled for food, when I repositioned myself as I was uncomfortable or when I turned on and off the camera.
Subscribe to our videos to be the first to see the whole process start to finish. (Coming soon).
Enjoy this educational video brought to you by Vancouver Island Assistance Dogs!
Our videos are now available for puchase on CD. See our blog above.
Standard YouTube License
- 5:46 How to teach ANY dog to Come when called!by tab289Featured 706,053
- 10:01 Dog Training - How to train an attack dog. K9-1 Dog Training Styleby k91dogtraining 410,160 views
- 1:34 How to Teach Your Dog the Leave It Command For Dummiesby fordummies 37,840 views
- 9:52 Introduction to ClickerTraining - PART 1 (by Honey the Great Dane)by Bighoneydog Honey-GreatDane 122,678 views
- 5:36 Clicker Training Basics - Dog Trainingby pamelamarxsen 32,479 views
- 8:04 Dog Training: How To Teach Your Dog To Bring You Stuff!by zakgeorge21 113,014 views
- 5:51 Teach Your Dog to Turn on the Light Switch Part 2 with Clicker Trainingby Donna Hill 14,350 views
- 4:39 Dog Trick Tutorial: "Cover your eyes!!"by tab289 435,976 views
- 6 videos Play all Hund Triksby maxspeed83
- 4:21 Mind Games for Dogs: Shell Scent Game Dog Indicates correct container where scent isby Donna Hill 67,353 views
- 9:45 Guard dog training / Attack dog training Secrets!! K9-1.comby k91dogtraining 624,836 views
- 7:16 Teach Dog to Stop Barking - Treatpouch.comby treatpouch 330,649 views
- 1:16 Dog Tricks - Play Dead, Turn off Lights, Bark on Command, Waive Goodbyeby Andrew & Anna Clogg 55,417 views
- 6:27 An Abused Mule Responds to Clicker Trainingby markkpct 208,198 views
- 5:00 Habits of Effective Clicker Trainers Part 1 Using Rewardsby Donna Hill 24,294 views
- 3:42 How To Clicker Train "Heel" Position (Dog Training)by tab289 143,316 views
- 3:02 Dog Training: Teach Your Dog to Shut Doors Part 1 Clickerby Donna Hill 31,004 views
- 3:14 Clicker Training - How to clicker train your dogby eletendre1 223,965 views
- 3:02 Great Dane Dog Training - Clicker Training ('Free-shaping' for Tricks)by Bighoneydog Honey-GreatDane 106,328 views
- 11:01 Dog Training: How To Teach Your Dog to Listen (leave it alone)by zakgeorge21 254,337 views
- 9:49 Training your dog to heel on a loose leash: Dog training In London (HD)by Nigel Reed 127,915 views
- Loading more suggestions...