Shaping Explained- Part 1 of Training Your Dog to Turn on a Light Switch with Clicker
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Uploaded on Jan 1, 2009
Follow Jessie's actual progress during the first steps learning to turn on a light switch. In under 4 minutes (approx. 45 clicks), she has the main idea.
WARNING: If your dog has ever been on an e-collar (electric zaps as punishment), please DO NOT train your dog this way for a live light switch. Their wet noses make contact and cause a small zap. There are other switch adaptors (drop down) that would be suitable for dogs with this background as the dog does not have to interact with the actual switch. I discovered tis when training Lucy, my rescue dog. She had been on an e-collar before we got her and she eagerly trained on the dummy switch. When I tried using the live switch, she touched it once, then ran away in fear and refused to touch it again. PLEASE, please, please do not use E-collars on your dogs. Not only is it punishing to your dog, there is too much unpredictable fallout after you stop using them.
Have you considered training your own assistance or service dog? Or trying out a new trick to impress friends?
Clicker training is the best way I have found to successfully train almost any dog.
I have been asked several times for footage of a dog learning a task or being shaped for the first time so new trainers could see the actual process and know what to expect. So here it is! Lots of repetition. Note she doesn't get clicked for any behavior she offers that I don't want later on such as pawing, stepping on or scratching the switch plate.
The only editing was for slow periods where she scrambled for food, when I repositioned myself as I was uncomfortable or when I turned on and off the camera.
Subscribe to our videos to be the first to see the whole process start to finish. (Coming soon).
Enjoy this educational video brought to you by Vancouver Island Assistance Dogs!
Our videos are now available for puchase on CD. See our blog above.
Standard YouTube License
- 9:52 Introduction to ClickerTraining - PART 1 (by Honey the Great Dane)by Bighoneydog Honey-GreatDane145,331 views
- 5:51 Teach Your Dog to Turn on the Light Switch Part 2 with Clicker Trainingby Donna Hill15,606 views
- 5:46 How to teach ANY dog to Come when called!by Training Positive1,037,022 views
- 9:45 Introduction to Clicker Training - PART 2: Teaching Tricks (by Honey the Great Dane)by Bighoneydog Honey-GreatDane70,115 views
- 1:31 Easy Dog Trick: Wash Your Faceby hartworks746,068 views
- 7:16 Teach Dog to Stop Barking - Treatpouch.comby Treatpouch.com535,106 views
- 5:00 Habits of Effective Clicker Trainers Part 1 Using Rewardsby Donna Hill25,718 views
- 45:58 Most Aggressive Breedsby NatGeoWild1,608,845 views
- 3:02 Dog Training: Teach Your Dog to Shut Doors Part 1 Clickerby Donna Hill33,500 views
- 108 videos Play all dog obedience- dog trainingby kikopup
- 10:02 Dog Training - How to train an attack dog. K9-1 Dog Training Styleby Dog Training by K9-1.com495,610 views
- 5:36 Clicker Training Basics - Dog Trainingby Pam's Dog Academy71,568 views
- 4:21 Mind Games for Dogs: Shell Scent Game Dog Indicates correct container where scent isby Donna Hill74,192 views
- 13:14 Train your dog - Stop Pulling On Leashby b1gdogk911450,761 views
- 4:18 How to teach your dog to CLOSE DOORS!by Training Positive303,894 views
- 9:49 Training your dog to heel on a loose leash: Dog training In London (HD)by Nigel Reed163,345 views
- 1:35 clicker training boxer to bow using free shapingby Peta Clarke53,596 views
- 4:39 Dog Trick Tutorial: "Cover your eyes!!"by Training Positive555,963 views
- 3:02 Great Dane Dog Training - Clicker Training ('Free-shaping' for Tricks)by Bighoneydog Honey-GreatDane122,512 views
- 5:09 Tugging Part 1: Train Your Dog to Open Doors, Drawers and Cupboardsby Donna Hill24,925 views