New Edition (Bobby Brown) - Candy Girl. Top Of The Pops 1983
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Published on Apr 3, 2011
Nice quality video recorded from Top Of The Pops 1983. Bobby Brown in New Edition they are an R&B group formed in Boston in 1978. The group reached its height of popularity during the 1980s. They were the progenitors of the boy band movement of the 1980s and 1990s and led the way for groups like New Kids on the Block, Boyz II Men, Backstreet Boys and 'N Sync.
At the height of their early popularity in 1983, the group consisted of Ronnie DeVoe, Ralph Tresvant, Bobby Brown, Michael Bivins, and Ricky Bell. Early hits included songs like 1983's "Candy Girl" and 1984's "Cool It Now". Brown left in late 1985 to embark on a successful solo career. The group continued for a time with four members, but eventually recruited singer Johnny Gill to record their 1988 album Heart Break. The group went on hiatus in 1990, while its various members worked on side projects, such as the group Bell Biv Devoe. Gill and Tresvant also recorded successful solo albums.
All six members of the group reunited in 1996-1997 for the album Home Again, but during the ill-fated follow-up tour both Brown and Bivins quit the group, and the tour had to be canceled. Various reunions have occurred since, usually with the 1987-1990 lineup, though occasionally also including Bobby Brown. Their last studio release was 2004's One Love. As of 2010, two New Edition descendants are recording and touring: Bell Biv Devoe, and Heads of State, featuring Brown, Tresvant, and Gill.
The group would perform all around Massachusetts and would eventually land a spot at a talent show which was run by Maurice Starr. The first prize was $500.00 and a recording contract. Though New Edition came in 2nd place, Starr decided to bring the group to his studio the following day to record what would become their debut album, Candy Girl. Recorded in late 1982 and released in 1983 on Starr's Streetwise Records, the album featured the hits: "Is This The End," "Popcorn Love," "Jealous Girl" and the title track, which went to number one on both the American R&B singles chart and the UK singles chart.
Returning from their first major concert tour, the boys were dropped back off to their homes in the projects and were given a check in the amount of $1.87 a piece for their efforts. Tour budget and expenses were given as the explanation as to why they were not paid more. Due to financial reasons, New Edition parted company with Starr in 1984 (Starr responded by promptly creating the group New Kids on the Block; essentially formatted after New Edition, but with white teenagers.) The group, meanwhile, hired the law-firm of Steven and Martin Machat and sued Streetwise for relieve from a contract that was unenforceable as well as materially breached by Streetwise. The Machat's win the legal game and then secure the group a huge recording deal with MCA after having a bidding war amongst the Major Labels of that day. The band in need of management sign with Steven Machat and his two management partners Rick Smith and Bill Dern. The management company is called AMI and AMI proceeds to break the group both in the urban and pop world. MCA through the production affiliate of AMI, Jump and Shoot, released the groups self titled second album the same year. Eclipsing their debut album, New Edition spun off the top five hit "Cool It Now" and the top twenty "Mr. Telephone Man," and went on to be certified double platinum in the United States.
AMI releases with MCA New Edition's third album, All for Love, was released in the latter half of 1985. While not duplicating the success of its predecessor, the album was certified platinum, and spawned the hits: "Count Me Out", "A Little Bit Of Love (Is All It Takes)", and "With You All The Way". The growing popularity of the group led to a guest appearance (as themselves) in the 1985 film Krush Groove, performing "My Secret".
Toward the year's end, Christmas All Over The World, a holiday EP, was released as well as an oldies album of tunes from the fifties sang by the group with an 80's production style. All overseen and orchestrated by AMI.
In December 1985, under pressure from MCA and their management, the group was forced to vote Bobby Brown out, due to behavioral problems. Brown embarked on a solo career in 1986, while New Edition continued to promote All for Love as a quartet. In spite of their financial and internal conflicts, New Edition continued to peak. During this era of the group's evolution, the group (without Brown) appeared in the episode of Knight Rider titled "Knight Song", performing "Count Me Out." As 1986 wound to a close, they recorded a cover of The Penguins 1954 hit "Earth Angel" for the soundtrack to The Karate Kid, Part II. The song peaked at No.21 and inspired the group to record Under the Blue Moon, an album of doo-wop covers.
Please visit my other Channel. Keep Rockin!.
Standard YouTube License
- Buy "Candy Girl" on
- 46 videos Play all YouTube Mix - New Edition (Bobby Brown) - Candy Girl. Top Of The Pops 1983
- 3:54 Bobby Brown - Good Enoughby jackyabody0091 Featured 309,278
- 1:43:09 October PMCH - Deliverance of the Family Treeby MFMBoston41,129 views
- 50:41 New Edition, Bobby Brown, Ralph T, Johnny Gill, BBD Megamix by Dj Dark Kentby djdarkkentremixes27,297 views
- 14:23 New Edition performing at Essence Music Fest 2011by TheRealMichaelG131,059 views
- 9:59 New Edition Reunion 1990by shakeshakeshake2008212,773 views
- 3:33 Candy Girl official video New Edition 1983by dakwa4life2,264,477 views
- 2:40 New Edition - Candy Girl 1983by fritz5133661,659 views
- 19 videos Play all New Editon Bell Biv DeVoe, Bobby Brown, Ralph Tresvantby Lovley72
- 3:38 New Edition - Cool It Nowby NewEditionVEVO5,589,594 views
- 5:34 New Edition & Bobby Brown: "Roni" - NJPAC Newark, NJ 2/19/12by LIVEfromFrontRow68,542 views
- 4:54 New Edition performs Jealous Girl 1983by NOLA soulchild94,740 views
- 3:16 New Edition & Bobby Brown Banter: "Candy Girl" - NJPAC Newark, NJ 2/19/12by LIVEfromFrontRow18,639 views
- 5:04 New Edition Jealous Girlby djfrancemobbg436,988 views
- 3:06 New Edition - Cool It Now / Mr. Telephone Man (Live 2005)by 82bennyblanco207,471 views
- 5:53 New Edition: "Jealous Girl" & "Is This the End" - NJPAC Newark, NJ 2/19/12by LIVEfromFrontRow35,147 views
- 2:24 NEW EDITION-COOL IT NOWby dominique butler557,935 views
- New Edition 6,776 videos15
- 6:28 New Edition - A Little Bit Of Love Is All It Takes Extended 12" Mixby JCiSwing128,945 views
- 4:34 Soul For Real - Candy Rainby Soul4RealVEVO7,605,141 views
- 2:06 New Edition - If It Isn't Love (Live 2005)by 82bennyblanco115,239 views