New York City (HD)
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Uploaded on May 25, 2010
Here is a video of New York City, USA. New York is the biggest city in the United States population wise, as well as skyscraper wise !
New York is the most populous city in the United States, and the center of the New York metropolitan area, which is one of the most populous metropolitan areas in the world. A leading global city, New York exerts a powerful influence over global commerce, finance, media, culture, art, fashion, research, education, and entertainment. As host of the United Nations Headquarters, it is also an important center for international affairs. The city is often referred to as New York City or the City of New York to distinguish it from the state of New York, of which it is a part.
Located on a large natural harbor on the Atlantic coast of the Northeastern United States, the city consists of five boroughs: The Bronx, Brooklyn, Manhattan, Queens, and Staten Island. The city's 2009 estimated population approached 8.4 million and with a land area of 305 square miles (790 km2 ). New York City is the most densely populated major city in the United States. The New York metropolitan area's population is also the nation's largest, estimated at 19.1 million people over 6,720 square miles (17,400 km2). Furthermore, the Combined Statistical Area containing the greater New York metropolitan area contained 22.2 million people as of 2009 Census estimates, also the largest in the United States.
New York was founded as a commercial trading post by the Dutch in 1624. The settlement was called New Amsterdam until 1664 when the colony came under English control. New York served as the capital of the United States from 1785 until 1790. It has been the country's largest city since 1790. As many as 800 languages are spoken in New York City, making it the most linguistically diverse city in the world.
Many districts and landmarks in the city have become well known to outsiders. The Statue of Liberty greeted millions of immigrants as they came to America in the late 19th and early 20th centuries. Times Square, iconified as "The Crossroads of the World", is the brightly illuminated hub of the Broadway theater district, one of the world's busiest pedestrian intersections, and a major center of the world's entertainment industry. Anchored by Wall Street, in Lower Manhattan, New York City vies with London as the financial capital of the world and is home to the New York Stock Exchange, the world's largest stock exchange by market capitalization of its listed companies. The original Manhattan Chinatown attracts throngs of tourists to its bustling sidewalks and retail establishments. World-class schools and universities such as Columbia University and New York University also reside in New York City.
Manhattan's skyline with its many skyscrapers is universally recognized, and the city has been home to several of the tallest buildings in the world. As of August 2008, New York City has 5,538 highrise buildings, with 50 completed skyscrapers taller than 656 feet (200 m). This is more than any other city in United States, and second in the world behind Hong Kong.
New York has architecturally noteworthy buildings in a wide range of styles. These include the Woolworth Building (1913), an early gothic revival skyscraper built with massively scaled gothic detailing. The 1916 Zoning Resolution required setback in new buildings, and restricted towers to a percentage of the lot size, to allow sunlight to reach the streets below.
The Art Deco style of the Chrysler Building (1930), with its tapered top and steel spire, reflected the zoning requirements. The building has distinctive ornamentation such as replicas at the corners of the 61st floor of the 1928 Chrysler eagle hood ornaments.
A highly influential example of the international style in the United States is the Seagram Building (1957), distinctive for its facade using visible bronze-toned I-beams to evoke the building's structure. The Condé Nast Building (2000) is an prominent example of green design in American skyscrapers.
New York's large residential districts are often defined by the classic brownstone rowhouses, townhouses, and tenements that were built during a period of rapid growth from 1870 to 1930. Stone and brick became the city's building materials of choice after the construction of wood-frame houses was limited in the aftermath of the Great Fire of 1835.
A distinctive feature of many of the city's buildings is the wooden roof-mounted water towers. In the 1800s, the city required their installation on buildings higher than six stories to prevent the need for excessively high water pressures at lower elevations, which could break municipal water pipes.
Garden apartments became popular during the 1920s in outlying areas, including Jackson Heights in Queens.
Standard YouTube License
- 41:10 Good Luck JESSIE NYC Christmas (Full Episode)by ShowOnAir181,367 views
- 30:36 Exploring New York at Christmastime: Part Twoby David Di Franco6,708 views
- 3:12 Part 2 ROAD RAGE: NYC Bikers vs TOYOTA PRIUS, assault series SUV New York swarm of bikers accidentby spamsafe441,935 views
- 9:47 10 Minute Tour Of New Yorkby williamssr001239,784 views
- 7:31 New York City & Times Square Night Tourby CosmoPhotography981,010 views
- 9:58 New York: A day walk in the Cityby pammpari133,638 views
- 9:29 New York City Helicopter Flight - Manhatten (HD)by Martin Veenstra73,925 views
- 9:30 Helicopter Flight New York Manhattan in HD and Sunshine-Alicia Keysby pollstertoni37,155 views
- 4:08 Rio 2016 - Helicopter View (HD)by NorthLasVegasEnt311,694 views
- 25 videos Play all Know Your Neighbor: Portraits of New York charactersby wnycradio
- 3:38 CENTRAL PARK NEW YORKby labellaroma143,235 views
- 4:16 New York City HDby Whalum Clemens239,471 views
- 19:34 New York Helicopter Tour Juli 2011by ruppi41288,333 views
- 6:33 The Noise of New York HDby squared9111,840 views
- 4:01 STUNTER 13 - 1st PLACE PLUS STUNT GRAND PRIX 2013by stunter13tv10,463,673 views
- 32:49 Exploring New York at Christmastime: Part Oneby David Di Franco9,654 views
- 5:29 Insider Travel Tips on New York Cityby TurnHereFilms192,045 views
- 4:59 New York City - Video Tour of SoHo, Manhattanby New York Habitat104,877 views
- 4:01 NYC SNOW STORM THE AFTERMATHby Positive World Travel57,925 views
- 4:25 Trip to New York City [HD]by Metahelion46,844 views