A simulated bee teaches science
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Uploaded on Apr 7, 2011
Learning Sciences Assistant Professor Kylie Peppler and colleague Joshua Danish, also an assistant professor in the Learning Sciences program,are working on "e-puppet" technology to help teach kids science through interactive experience. "BeeSim," a bee puppet that goes over your hand, makes use of "wearable computers." Through "e-textiles," which have computer circuits built into fabric, such puppets can teach young children (ages 7-9) about how honeybees collect nectar from a complex systems perspective in their science classroom. Parts of the bee light up when the bee collects nectar from flowers and other lights indicate when the bee is growing tired.
Peppler and Danish have discovered in early studies that the BeeSim helped students to engage with the increasing complexities of a natural system, learning things like honeybees can only fly so far with the energy they gain from nectar and cannot search indefinitely. You can read more about their findings in this published report: http://kpeppler.com/wp-content/upload....
The actual BeeSim puppet was produced by a team from the The Center for Research on Learning and Technology (CRLT) at the School of Education, Benjamin Zaitlen, Alexander Jacobs, and Diane Glosson. More on how they did that is available at http://www.instructables.com/id/Inter....
The CRLT is an organization dedicated to helping people find the appropriate application of technology to improve teaching and learning in diverse settings. People around the globe are exploring new educational collaborations, brought to them through new technologies. The CRLT was formed to put people in touch with the technology that is helping to change education and to shape the tools that will make those changes more productive.
Standard YouTube License
- 10:52 10 Amazing Science Experiments you can do with Eggsby Taras Kul318,544 views
- 14:52 Future Science ; Forbidden Science of the 21st Century pt 1/6by whirledenergy29,036 views
- 5:30 Using Simulation to Teach Students about Health Care - Nancy Hannifan and Michelle Kirwanby TU CIAT269 views
- 24:19 ASU Discovers: New Perspectives on Researchby Eight, Arizona PBS610 views
- 16:38 Press Play -- Gaming, Simulation & Achievement in the Classroom: Jonathon Best at TEDxDenverTeachersby TEDxTalks1,299 views
- 1:05:56 Learning in a Networked Worldby University of Nottingham773 views
- 3:44 Using Technology to Teach Scienceby Krystle Page186 views
- 20:54 How to Provide Effective Teaching in a Simulated Environment: Karim Qayumi, M.D., Ph.D.by Surgery Videos from SAGES122 views
- 9:28 Presentation: Dr. Miguel Nussbaum Transforming the Classroomby eduinnova957 views
- 4:53 Queen Bee 1, Interesting Animal Facts 5, Fun Facts Hot Teacherby hotfactsgirls18,633 views
- 27:50 Dr. Tae — Building A New Culture Of Teaching And Learningby Dr. Tae3,855 views
- 17:16 100 Science Experiments You Can Do at Home Compilationby CrazyRussianHacker541,920 views
- 22:28 Feed The Beast Bees Tutorial: From Start To Automationby Hypno80,907 views
- 5:15 Teaching demonstration in Science Grade 2.wmvby gwapako214,688 views
- 10:55 Case study in learning sciences (SNU future coyote and poor coyote student project)by UseAsDirected100704 views
- 19:47 Primary Science - Classroom Organisationby UniversityLeicester46,839 views
- 5:57 Whole Brain Teaching 5 Step Lesson: Middle School Scienceby NCWBTeacher14,751 views
- 21:55 Stephen Heppell - Child Led Learningby lwf4,727 views
- 7:58 Classroom Tips & Tricks with Sock Puppetsby Chrissy Davis387 views
- 4:02 10 More Amazing Science Stunts (3)by Quirkology14,159,495 views
- Loading more suggestions...