Rare Isotope Rap
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Uploaded on Jun 11, 2009
Rare isotopes rock. A return to the scene of my first encounter with accelerator physics -- the NSCL (National Superconducting Cyclotron Laboratory) has won a bid to upgrade their nucleus-accelerator to the FRIB (Facility for Rare Isotope Beams).
The video, lyrics and music are Creative Commons (BY-NC-SA). More info here: http://www.katemcalpine.com/fribrap/f...
It's more than just me and a rag-tag crew of dancers running around with a handycam, but still heavily student-driven with Adam Rademacher on the video editing, also responsible for much of the filming next to Josh Farris. Both were guided by Prof Amol Pavangadkar.
Also, the animations and images weren't lifted from wherever I could find them -- John Allison and Matt Bambach. Their prof, Karl Gude, is pretty much responsible for getting the whole Comm Arts posse on board. You can check out more of Matt's work on Vimeo: http://www.vimeo.com/user1482540
Karl's a mad cartoonist (maker of the poster and moving parts for targeted radiotherapy) and more: http://www.youtube.com/user/kgude
Will Barras is still DJ to my MC, with a funky cruising sound this time: http://www.ling.ed.ac.uk/~s9527813/
I am deeply grateful to everyone who came out to dance: Brad Sherrill, one of the NSCL/FRIB head honchos; Bill Lynch, the prof who taught me most of what I know about thermodynamics; grad students Alisher Sanetullaev and Jenna Deavan; undergrads Zach Meisel and Emily Alexander; recent grad and former Science Theater cohort Ryan Norris; and my dear sister and MSU student, Kristen McAlpine.
Matt Hodek and Brent Barker -- grad students and fellow alums from the '06 summer student program at the NSCL -- deserve special mention, having stayed all day both days of filming. Brent also came in for green screening and rapped some backup.
Our inspiration for nuclear decay with balloons is Sydenham High School's "Let's Get Physical", with the Geiger-Müller Groove: http://www.planet-scicast.com/view_cl...
Finally, thanks to Geoff Koch, who called me in for this project and handled much of the coordination, and Zach Constan, whose magnetic marble nuclei help visitors of all ages understand what nuclear physics is all about.
Oh, yeah, and my site is here: http://www.katemcalpine.com
Alpinekat, over and out. [crghh]
Standard YouTube License
- 2:58 What Are Atoms and Isotopes?by 1veritasiumFeatured 49,780
- 7:56 What are Isotopes?by Tyler DeWitt 28,908 views
- 2:37 High Particle Accelerator Rapby NTDTV 23,493 views
- 6:16 The LHC (look at the video date, yes that's right, 2007)by existentialistcat 285,238 views
- 4:23 Black Hole Rapby alpinekat 63,860 views
- 2:05 Very rare fight shaolin kung fu vs. Korean tae kwon doby marcoitalia18 10,180,032 views
- 4:51 Protons neutrons, electrons and isotopesby Roger Linsell 84,479 views
- 58:52 The Large Hadron Collider (LHC) - The Big Bang Experimentby Waldo Pulanco 234,224 views
- 2:10 N3UROCH!P Rapby alpinekat 113,919 views
- 2:07 Dr Brian Cox on Faking the Moon Landingsby bongoreef 409,075 views
- 3:56 Radioactive Isotopesby Nicole Dupuis 68,687 views
- 8:22 Chemistry - Atoms, Isotopes, Ions and How to Write Nuclear Symbolsby mrcausey 23,488 views
- 4:47 LHC Rapby Horatio6699 18,782 views
- 2:54 JOHN CENA RAP BATTLES A FANby jetaylor91 26,094,789 views
- 10:00 Amazing Robocop Rapby robomayhem 1,026,301 views
- 3:38 Physics Guy Rapby enginuitor 705,051 views
- 4:49 Large Hadron Rapby alpinekat 7,637,671 views
- 3:51 The Grad Student Rapby MakeItGoodChuck 118,490 views
- 2:29 Darth Vader Rapby DaFlex 7,023,390 views
- 59:06 The Hunt For Higgs - amazing HD Documentaryby 711Rene 233,914 views
- Loading more suggestions...