Francine McKenna on Trustee Reports for MF Global and JP Morgan's Pinto Problem!
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Published on Jun 6, 2012
Follow us @
Welcome to Capital Account. JP Morgan's two billion dollar London Whale trading losses can be blamed on "inadequate risk management" according to one of the bank's main regulators, the officeof the comptroller of the currency (OCC), who we heard from today on Capitol Hill. No kidding? But whose job is it to police JP Morgan and the other investment banks to begin with? Well, it's the regulators. So what does the comptroller of the currency say is the remedy? We know talk is cheap, but Wall Street screw-ups sure aren't. We'll talk about how and why regulations aren't being enforced, and which dogs still refuse to bark. Francine McKenna, former auditor and writer for the Financial Times, Forbes, and American Banker to name a few.
And accounting is supposed to keep track of positions...it is supposed to "account for..." But do the latest MF Global trustee reports show how accounting has instead become a tool used to hide risk, and expand leverage in pursuit of profits? Accounting watchdog Francine McKenna is here to answer that, and what can be done about it. We discuss MF Global's use of the Repo-to-Maturity trade, and the way that customer money could have been used to meet margin calls despite clear segregation of funds. According to James Giddens' report, MF Global may have taken advantage of something referred to as "regulatory arbitrage," in order to accomplish this. Specifically, it used an "alternative accounting" method that may have allowed the firm to dip into customer funds in order to meet overdrafts.
During the month of October 2011, the amount of "Regulatory Excess" — the average amount of customer funds in excess of the regulatory requirement under the Alternative Method (but not the Net Liquidating Method) — was approximately $1 billion. Some at MF Global considered the Regulatory Excess to be a potential source of funds for intraday, or even overnight, transfers to fund the non-FCM activities of MF Global, although others were of the view that the Regulatory Excess would still have to be "locked up" for the benefit of customers.
And in what may be a sign of the times, we will tell you about the new Survivalist reality TV show where the winner gets his or her own bunker! Demetri and Lauren will give you their two-cents on today's episode of Loose Change.
- 28:06 Robert Prechter on the Bullishness of an EU Breakup and the coming Global Deflationby CapitalAccount 15,388 views
- 28:03 Nomi Prins on Banker's Gone Bad - MF'ers, BoA, and Spanish Bond Bashingby CapitalAccount 10,463 views
- 28:03 Mike Maloney on Gold's Checkmate and Ben Bernanke's role as the Pawn!by Capital Account 32,272 views
- 28:02 TBTF Sheriff Bill Black on the MF Global Cover-up: "All those that doeth Evil hateth the light!"by Capital Account 13,516 views
- 28:00 MF Global Customer and Fund Manager on JP Morgan and the Goldman Sachs Connectionby CapitalAccount 7,330 views
- 28:06 For Investors and Customers, PFG is MF Global all Over Again...by CapitalAccount 25,473 views
- 28:04 Lew Rockwell on Crooked Elections, Crooked Markets, and Crooked Numbers!by CapitalAccount 10,497 views
- 25:09 Mike Shedlock on the Spexit, the Grexit and Running for the Eurozone Exit!!by CapitalAccount 13,249 views
- 28:05 Gerald Celente calls out Jamie "two-bit" Dimon and his Financial Crime Syndicateby Capital Account 19,896 views
- 28:05 Capital Account TV Exclusive Interview of CBO Mortgage Fraud Whistleblower!by Capital Account 15,491 views
- 28:07 John Butler on the Dollar Liability and Gold's role as the Insuranceby Capital Account 11,862 views
- 28:03 House Republicans seek Independent Investigation of MF Global Bankruptcyby CapitalAccount 5,025 views
- 28:04 Lauren Lyster and Heidi Moore infiltrate JP Morgan's Mafia Hearings in Washington DC!by CapitalAccount 19,591 views
- 25:44 Keiser Report: Cuckoo Trading (E299)by RussiaToday 38,763 views
- 28:04 JP Morgan's "Unicorn Hedge" Fairy Tale Harpoons the London Whale!by Capital Account 17,202 views
- 28:02 Facebook's IPO Bombs, while "Hot" Tech Companies Cook the Books!by CapitalAccount 12,719 views
- 28:15 Peter Schiff - The Real Crash: America's Coming Bankruptcy - @Cambridge House Live - June 4, 2012by Cambridge House 120,226 views
- 8:31 Panetta declaring war on Pakistan?by RTAmerica 14,221 views
- 5:13 'Banks rob us!' Canadian girl becomes Internet sensation after exposing bankstersby RT America 34,374 views
- 9:38 Wisconsin aftermath: Voters in disbelief over Walker victoryby RT America 10,509 views
- Loading more suggestions...