Israeli official describes Palestinian U.N. bid as 'futile'
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Published on Nov 28, 2012
A spokesman for Israel's prime minister said on Wednesday that the Palestinian move to achieve recognition of statehood at the United Nations is an "exercise in futility" that won't bring Israelis and Palestinians closer.
Palestinians predict a historic U.N. vote recognizing their statehood this week, praising important new support from France and likely backing from other European nations seen as critical to enhancing their international standing.
The United States and Israel strongly oppose the resolution, and there are fears it could torpedo Palestinian hopes of quickly resuming negotiations with Israel to end their decades-old conflict.
Israeli officials have already said they will not return to negotiations after the vote and believe it instead undermines hopes for a peace deal.
"The Palestinian move at the United Nations is unfortunately an exercise in futility," said Mark Regev, the Israeli prime minister's spokesman, in Jerusalem on Wednesday.
"They can get pieces of paper from the U.N., but they're not going to move peace forward, they're not going to make Palestinian statehood more real."
Regev said that "he only way to change reality, both for Palestinians and for Israelis, to build a better future here in the region is through peace talks."
"I frankly don't understand the Palestinian leadership," he added. "They boycott Israel, they refuse to talk to us. Who do they plan to make peace with?"
In Ramallah, meanwhile, Palestinian negotiator Hanan Ashrawi was critical of the U.S. ahead of the U.N. vote - a last-ditch attempt to rescue the troubled Middle East peace efforts.
She said the U.S. "has been trying desperately to prevent us, to delay us, to threaten us and so on, and now they understand that this is going to happen and they cannot stop it, they do not have a veto right."
"So it is our hope that the second term of the Obama administration will try to redeem all the shortcomings of the first one," she added.
Ashrawi, a senior official with the Palestinian Liberation Organization, also said she hopes the U.S. "will grasp the opportunity quickly to show that they can rectify their position and they can undo a serious mistake that has undermined American standing and interest throughout the region."
Meanwhile, dozens of protesters gathered outside the Canadian consulate in Ramallah after Canada decided not to support the Palestinian bid.
The General Assembly vote to raise the Palestinian status from a U.N. observer to a non-member observer state is scheduled for Thursday - the "International Day of Solidarity with the Palestinian People."
It comes just a week after a ceasefire ended eight days of punishing Israeli air strikes on the Gaza Strip and intense rocketing of Israel by Gaza's Hamas rulers that reached Jerusalem and Tel Aviv.
Unlike the Security Council, there are no vetoes in the General Assembly and the resolution is virtually certain of approval.
The 193-member world body is dominated by countries sympathetic to the Palestinian cause and the resolution only requires a majority vote for approval.
Standard YouTube License
- 4:04 مفتي السعودية آل الشيخ: التظاهرات عمل سيئ وخطرby AlArabiya 5,724 views
- 1:30 Pressure piles on Mursi as thousands of Egyptians protestby AlArabiya 2,365 views
- 1:02 سعوديات في مباراة العربي الكويتي والفتح السعوديby AlArabiya 518,779 views
- 3:13 الأفلام المصرية في عالم الدوبلاجby AlArabiya 864 views
- 21:33 Major Prophecy Watch! - Palestine's U.N. Status Bid - Dividing YHWH's Land!by eternalrhythmflow 7,026 views
- 20:25 BREAKING! 2013 UN ~ NATO MARTIAL LAW USA!by CelticInfidel 10,907 views
- 18:00 PALESTINE undercover cameras, shocking footage from GAZA!! Must seeby rehovbograshov 148,667 views
- 2:56 Israel : United Nations vote recognizing the State of Palestine defying God Joel 3:2 (Nov 28, 2012)by SignsofThyComing 2,833 views
- 4:48 UN Overwhelmingly Recognizes Palestine as Non-Member State - Humiliating Defeat For Racist Israelby Souria2011archives 2,098 views
- 1:26:57 The Afterlife Investigations: The Scole Experimentby paranormaltvchannel 94,294 views
- 2:24 ISRAEL WARNED by UN: Breaking INTERNATIONAL LAW by destroying Palestinian Homes accused of SPYINGby Tsiyonut times 1,495 views
- 19:48 Beautiful Om Namo Bhagavate Vasudevaya Complete!by SanatanDharmi 225,712 views
- 3:56 Palestinian optimism over UN observer status bidby JewishNewsOne 633 views
- 1:50 Palestinians to renew UN statehood bidby AlJazeeraEnglish 1,766 views
- 5:01 Obama condemns Eritrea for Human Trafficking in the Sinai at Clinton Global Initiativeby EYSC Dallas 56,306 views
- 2:32 Palestine UN statehood bid will pass 'resoundingly'by telegraphtv 1,375 views
- 1:35 Palestinian UN bid : French FM says France will vote in favour of UN non member statusby FRANCE 24 English 1,590 views
- 2:57 Israel settlement plans prompt ambassador withdrawlsby AlJazeeraEnglish 2,887 views
- 1:20 What Israeli officials think about Palestinian UN bidby FRANCE 24 English 969 views
- 26:12 Within Gaza: Life in Palestine - Press TV's Documentaryby PressTVGlobalNews 841 views
- Loading more suggestions...