Undocumented and unafraid - beginnning of the sit in
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Published on Apr 10, 2011
Atlanta April 5, 2011
Coming out and sit-in (civil disobedience) by young people without legal immigration status who were brought to this country when they were children. The focus of this protest was the ban on students who are undocumented immigrants at the five leading Georgia public universities adopted by the state board of regents.
Seven of the undocumented youths who were acting as part of www.TheDreamIsComing.com project were arrested and only released later the next day on $2,000 bond each, and risking deportation, as happens to hundreds of other undocumented immigrants in Georgia who, after being stopped even for minor traffic violations, are taken to jail and handed over to federal immigration cops.
The protest began at Hurt Park with students telling their stories and hearing statements of support from the Rev. Tim McDonald and State Sen. Vincent Fort, both veteran civil and human rights advocates from Atlanta's Black comunity.
The students then delivered a letter for the president of Georgia State University demanding that he refuse the ban, that on a year that marks the 50th anniversary of the desegregation of Georgia State University, implementing this ban would be a return to odious practices of the past.
Finally, to dramatize their plight, seven of the students blocked a downtown street, just as access to higher education is being blocked for hundreds of thousands of young people who have grown up in this country but nevertheless are branded as "alien" and "illegal."
This sit-in was carried out as an act of civil disobedience inspired by the legacy of Dr. King and the Black civil rights movement and especially SNCC, the student non-violent coordinating committee, the student movement that emerged in 1960 and reinvigorated the struggle to abolish segregation in the South.
Standard YouTube License
- 2:05:24 Christmas Compilation 2012 with Bill and Gloria Gaither and the Homecoming Friendsby jeff hardin308,120 views
- 1:09:07 Undocubus Visits Austin: Undocumented and Unafraidby TexansUnited ForFamilies193 views
- 14:25 HARAGA ou immigration clandestine- liveby KHALED MAMOUNE43,868 views
- 2:51:32 Gospel Music For the Storms of Life------Compilation # 10by jeff hardin534,867 views
- 55:38 Billy Graham Home coming with Gaithers vocal bandby Ajaymadras59,883 views
- "The Weight Watcher's Meeting"/"The Dietin Song" By Aaron Wilburnby hoover400071,788 views
- 9:19 Georgina: 'To get change we need to come out as undocumented and unafraid' and Rev. Tim McDonaldby Joaquín Bustelo326 views
- 7:08 Tim Lovelace (PGMA Banquet Part 1) 11-12-11by psalmofpraise1,252 views
- 10:12 Dulce: 'I started seeing my family members and neighbors getting deported,' and Jose's storyby Joaquín Bustelo848 views
- 6:03 Tim Lovelaceby markwmccoy12,678 views
- 10:30 Aaron Wilburn--Krispy Kremes, Men And Women, and Funny Namesby hoover4000868,297 views
- 6:46 Away Fly I'llby Tim Lovelace60,650 views
- 6:38 Tim Lovelace and friendsby Tim Lovelace15,111 views
- 4:42 Tim Lovelace and friends - Part 2by Tim Lovelace22,870 views
- 12:34 !!! CIVIL RIGHTS MOVEMENT: 'THE SIT- IN' !!by WHITECREATEDIT9,458 views
- 2:52:03 A Gospel Music Compilation # 8by jeff hardin148,609 views
- 44:31 Atlanta - June 2, 2011 - GLAHR vs. Deal - HB 87 Lawsuit Filing Press Conferenceby Erik Voss1,618 views
- 19:10 Gaither Homecoming singer/comedian Mark Lowry at the Tracy Stuffle benefit concertby Nashdlp58,551 views
- 1:09:24 Gaither Vocal Band - Pure and Simple Part 1by SouthernGospelGroups96,493 views
- 9:04 "Home Depot/Dealing With An Atheist" Comedy By Mark Lowryby hoover4000967,698 views
- Loading more suggestions...