Fast-Track Tragedy: Shame on 2010 Winter Olympics
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Uploaded on Feb 13, 2010
VANCOUVER, British Columbia -- So this is what the Olympics have become, a dateline for a death sport. It wasn't enough for organizers to build a safe, practical sliding track on Blackcomb Mountain in Whistler. No, they had to design a $105 million monster that turned the luge into a joyride to hell, with wicked turns, a 152-meter drop -- the world's longest -- and a surface so rapid that it lured racers to approach 95 mph.
Too fast. Too dangerous. And too deadly for a mere sled -- basically, a missile upon which a human being slides face-up and feet-first, vulnerable to his immediate demise.
All week, there have been crashes on the course, more than a dozen in total, one that left a Romanian athlete unconscious for a brief time. And all week, not a soul from the International Olympic Committee, the International Luge Federation or the Vancouver organizing committee expressed concerns about the wipeouts. Nevermind that one racer had described the 13th curve as the "50-50 Curve,'' based on the odds of a crash. Nevermind that 15 months ago, when the sport's elite racers familiarized themselves with the Whistler Sliding Center, athletes suffered 73 crashes during training runs. Nevermind that as recently as Thursday, U.S. luger Christian Niccum compared ramming into the ice at 90 mph to being on fire, saying, "I just wanted to rip off my suit, 'I'm on fire. I'm on fire.' '' And nevermind that on the same day, Australian luger Hannah Campbell-Pegg voiced an ominous tone and a cry for help.
"I think they are pushing it a little too much. To what extent are we just little lemmings that they just throw down a track and we're crash-test dummies?'' she said. "I mean, this is our lives."
Standard YouTube License
- 3:28 Death of Georgian Athlete Highlights Dangers of Lugeby VOAvideo 230,535 views
- 0:48 Olympic Athlete Killed in Horrific Crashby iJustinP1996 62,982 views
- 58:38 2010 Olympics Ladies FS Group 4 Full Versionby Meejung Hwang 4,136 views
- 1:19 Tragedy overshadows Olympic openingby AFP 19,953 views
- 2:10 Most Painful Winter Olympic wipe outs/crashes/fallsby amusoTV 100,857 views
- 17:28 GoPro HD: Greatest street luge run for Team Brutalityby Julio Brutalio Slaney 7,552 views
- 2:10 Winter Olympics 2010 Tratedgy: Nodar Kumaritashvili Fatal Luge Crashby kidBoSSeZ 148,703 views
- 1:25 Luge crash death overshadows Gamesby ReutersVideo 2,676,586 views
- 0:41 Olympics - This Guy Diedby rydercupaccommodatio 1,000,293 views
- 3:01 CRASH LUGE ACCIDENT KILLS OLYMPIC STAR: Youtube Is Censoring IshatOnU (Ep25)by TDanceTV2 27,766 views
- 4:09 Olympic Trials Triumph and Tragedyby RunnersWorldTV 19,421 views
- 5:11 US Skeleton Devo Team Calgary Crash Reelby skimonkey80 163,677 views
- 6:04 Death and Injuries Raise Safety Concerns at Winter Gamesby PBSNewsHour 4,650 views
- 2:30:41 USA v Canada : Full Game : 2010 Olympics Vancouver : Gold Medal Gameby hockeyhurlingshinty4 92,057 views
- 0:50 Nodar Kumaritashvili - Winter Olympics 2010 Luge Accidentby OneTreeHillified 72,859 views
- 1:17 Fatal Luge Crash Death in winter olympics my video linked Pt 2by WiggleVision 425,679 views
- 0:59 Nodar Kumaritashvili Killed In Luge Crash Before the Winter Olympics Startby SavetheStarving 18,421 views
- 0:40 Winter Olympics 2010 - Death of Nodar Kumaritashviliby Charlie Hadfield 12,384 views
- 2:43 Vancouver 2010: What led to tragic death of Georgian luger?by RussiaToday 993,588 views
- 0:22 Downhill Skiing Wipeoutsby OlympicsPRO 2,708 views
- Loading more suggestions...