Look In My Eyes - Chantels
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Uploaded on Jan 4, 2012
Look In My Eyes - Chantels.
The Chantels (not to be confused with the reggae group The Chantells) were the second African-American girl group to have nationwide success in the United States, preceded by The Bobbettes. The group was established in the early 1950s and attended St. Anthony of Padua school in The Bronx. The original five members consisted of Arlene Smith (lead), Sonia Goring, Rene Minus, Jackie Landry Jackson and Lois Harris. They derived their name from that of a rival school, St. Frances de Chantal.
The Chantels by 1957, then in high school, had been a group for seven years. Unlike some black groups of their time, the quintet was under the influences of classical music and Latin hymns. The lead singer, Arlene Smith, had received classical training and performed at Carnegie Hall at age twelve. Smith provided the group with both lyrics and music. The girls were discovered by Richard Barrett, lead singer of The Valentines and by summer 1957 signed to End Records, owned by George Goldner. Their first single was "He's Gone" (Pop #71) in August 1957, written by Arlene Smith. In January 1958, The Chantels had a hit with their second single, "Maybe" (#15 Billboard Hot 100; #2 R & B chart). "Maybe" sold over one million copies, and was awarded a gold disc. Following releases were less successful but End did release an album originally titled We Are The Chantels. The original cover had a picture of the group. The album was soon withdrawn and repackaged with a picture of two white teenagers picking out a song; the title was shortend to The Chantels.
The group was dropped by End in 1959, and Arlene Smith decided to embark upon a solo career. Harris left to pursue a college education. That year, Chantels singles led by Richard Barrett were released on the End subsidiary of Gone. In 1960, Annette Smith (no relation) replaced Arlene Smith. Narrowed down to a quartet, the group moved on to Carlton Records where they had their second huge hit with "Look in My Eyes" (#14 pop, #6 R&B). Other releases on Carlton didn't do as well.
Standard YouTube License
- Buy "Look In My Eyes" on
- 3:58 Look In My Eyes-The Chantels "Live" 11/10/2012by JockosentmeFeatured 1,297
- 2:21 "Look in My Eyes" The Chantelsby catman916 42,951 views
- 2:26 The Chantels ~ He's Goneby robertslowrideroldiez 552 views
- 3:06 The Chantels - I Love You So/ Maybeby RoyalRustic 2,605 views
- 2:04 The Chantels - Every Night (I Pray) (1958)by GNRSlashLover 49,725 views
- 2:54 Jimmy Beaumont and The Skyliners - Since I Don't Have Youby jvijr 142,020 views
- 2:44 Jr Walker & Allstars - Shotgunby FunkSoBrudda's channel 684,535 views
- 2:41 chantels - he's gone (great performance)by sweetsoullover 20,442 views
- 3:13 Dion - I Put Away My idolsby TopekaRoy's channel 4,117 views
- 2:50 The Shirelles - Will You Love Me Tomorrow (Live, 1964)by Paul begler 1,085,743 views
- 2:36 Carla Thomas - Gee Whiz (Look At His Eyes) - Oct. 1960by xunclexx's channel 8,466 views
- 5:54 Sonia Barrett- Relationships and spiritual transitionsby sovereignmindradio's channel 15,118 views
- 3:01 Etta James- My Dearest Darlingby Sinnie Romero 74,690 views
- 2:36 Then He Kissed Me - The Crystalsby gthalfblood's channel 4,373,597 views
- 3:44 Lemon Popsicle 5by huntermm1602 188,675 views
- 2:43 Peggy March - I Will Follow Himby P Bloem 196,433 views
- 4:03 Flirtations - 'Can't Stop Loving You' (1970)by Scott Washam 15,620 views
- 1:58 James Ray - If You Gotta Make A Fool Of Somebody - Early 60's R&B Tuneby Specializing in the unexpected 27,372 views
- 4:49 dry & heavy - strictly babyby myki86 2,741 views
- 2:33 The Chantels - Stillby GNRSlashLover 19,616 views
- Loading more suggestions...