Bob Mintzer Meets Chico Pinheiro: Brazilian Big Band
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Published on Apr 16, 2012
On "For The Moment", Bob Mintzer's Big Band is joined by Brazilian guitarist, composer and singer, Chico Pinheiro for a cross cultural collaboration. One of the leading figures in modern Brazilian music, guitarist/composer/arranger Chico Pinheiro, 34, was born in São Paulo. Self-taught, Pinheiro started playing the guitar and the piano when he was 7 years old.
After starting to perform professionally at age 15, he rounded out his musical education with a stay in Boston, where he received his music degree from Berklee College of Music (Summa cum laude), studying with legendary teachers Mick Goodrick and Hal Crook and winning several academic/ musical prizes there during his studies.
Not only an exceptional guitarist with a wonderful sound and great fluidity, Chico Pinheiro is a unique composer of originality and maturity, qualities that stand out on his solo recordings.
His first album "Meia Noite Meio Dia" (Sony Music/ 2003) was released in 2003 with great reviews at all the most important newspapers and music magazines in Brazil and abroad, and was included in the "Top 10 Brazilian albums of the year" in the major newspapers of Brazil: "O Estado de São Paulo", "A Folha de São Paulo" and "O Globo" . This well-received debut included performances from special guest vocalists Luciana Alves, Lenine, Ed Motta, Chico César, and Maria Rita. His second release, "Chico Pinheiro" (Biscoito Fino/ 2005) enjoyed great critical and audience acclaim, once more being included in the "Top 10 Brazilian albums of the year" by newspapers "O Estado", "O Globo" and "Folha de São Paulo". The third album, NOVA, was released in dec/ 2007, a collaboration with the american guitarist and composer Anthony Wilson. Again, enjoyed great critical and audience acclaim.
Today Chico is already a remarkable presence in - and outside the Brazilian music scene, who has distinguished himself as a guitarist, composer and arranger. He has performed and recorded with the "cream of the crop" of Brazilian artists such as Rosa Passos, Chico César, Dori and Danilo Caymmi, João Donato, Johnny Alf, Luciana Souza, César Camargo Mariano,while also making his mark internationally, recording and playing with Dianne Reeves, Bob Mintzer, Roberto Fonseca, Cachaíto Lopez (Buena Vista Social Club), Brad Mehldau, Esperanza Spalding, Fleurine, Mark Turner, Chris Potter, Eddie Gomez, Claudio Roditi, Duduka da Fonseca, Giovani Hidalgo, amongst others.
Standard YouTube License
- 6:38 Not All Big Bands Are Created Equal - Peter Erskineby Jazz Video Guy8,492 views
- 4:27 Bob Mintzer Meets Rahsaan Roland Kirkby Jazz Video Guy3,486 views
- 4:50 Big Band Meets Bossa Nova - Day by Day with Bret Primack 10/4/11by Jazz Video Guy14,986 views
- 3:44 Bob Mintzer's Brazilian Big Band Adventure - For The Momentby Jazz Video Guy2,140 views
- 1:31:19 Pal Vasvari, Bob Mintzer, Dean Brown. Russell Ferrante & Paco Sery - Live at Budapestby palvasvariofficial1,321 views
- 6:08 Chico Pinheiro EPK English 2010by Buriti Braz7,748 views
- 14:30 Learning To Play the Drums: Winard Harperby Jazz Video Guy14,626 views
- 2:26 Chico Pinheiro e Luciana Alves - Um Filme (Pontapé Inicial - ESPN Brasil)by oberronet3,181 views
- 6 videos Play all Bob Mintzer: Latin From Manhattanby rlitanner
- 7:59 Bob Mintzer Big Band - Timelessby MCGJazz19,376 views
- 11:44 Ivan Lins & Orquestra Sinfônica de Heliópolisby ThePORTOSHOW380 views
- 6:04 Bob Mintzer Big Band at Blue Note Tokyoby Jazz Video Guy14,142 views
- 8:53 Chico Pinheiro documentary 2011by Buriti Braz7,932 views
- 7:03 All About Bob Mintzerby Jazz Video Guy3,059 views
- 5:09 Chico Pinheiro & Group - Na beira do rioby Buriti Braz60,038 views
- 4:08 Chico Pinheiro - Desde o Primeiro Diaby vejapontocom11,111 views
- 3:07 Entrevista Chico Pinheiro/ Chico Pinheiro interview (Ed Motta AOR 2013)by EdMotta AOR5,067 views
- 4:17 Chico Pinheiro/ April Childby Buriti Braz59,012 views
- 21:09 Phil Collins Big Band - Pick up the Piecesby PH2007SAX115,725 views
- 5:59 Some skunk funk Randy Brecker & Bob Mintzer Bflat Jazz Festival 2012by radiosnj24,138 views