Potato side dishes (Gamjabokkeum: 감자볶음)
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Uploaded on Apr 7, 2008
full recipe is here: http://blog.maangchi.com/2008/04/pota...
Here are 2 kind of side dishes ("gamja jorim" and "gamja chae bokkeum") using potatoes. Many Koreans prepare these for their children as part of their school lunch menus.
Potato with soy sauce ("gamja jorim")
Gamja jorim (potato side dish) used to be my regular lunch box menu. My mother sometimes added small dried anchovies and carrot, and sometimes she added ham cut into dice like potato. I used to make this all the time as my children's lunch box side dish, too.
2-3 medium sized potatoes, onion, 2 cloves garlic, soy sauce, 1 tbs corn syrup, 1 tbs sugar, half cup of water.
1. Peel the potatoes, wash, and cut them into 1 inch dice and make 2 cups.
2. Rinse the potato using colander in running water to remove starch.
3. Cut half onion into bite sized pieces.
4. Heat the pan and add 1-2 tbs olive oil and pour the potato into the pan.
5. Add 2 cloves of minced garlic and sauté it until the potato look a little translucent, then add the onion and keep stirring it.
6. Add half cup of water into the pan, 2 tbs -- 2½ tbs soy sauce (depends on your taste), 1 tbs of sugar, 1 tbs of corn syrup and mix it and simmer it over medium heat for about 10 minutes until the liquid is evaporated.Tip: Keep checking and stirring not to burn it and to cook evenly, if it needs more water, add some.
7. When the potato is cooked, turn off the stove and add 1 tbs of sesame oil and sprinkle a pinch of sesame seeds.
Potato with mushroom ("gamjachae bokkeum")
This potato dish can be made without mushrooms. I found the taste turns out very good when king oyster mushroom is added. By using king oyster mushroom, this color of dish is still clean white. If you don't have mushrooms, just use potato as it is.
1 medium size of potatoes, 2 cloves garlic, 2 king oyster mushrooms, half onion, ½ ts to 1 ts of salt, 1 to 2 tbs olive oil, 1 tbs sesame oil, 4 to 5 tbs of water.
Tip: If you only use potatoes, use 2 medium size potatoes and ½ cup of water.
1. Peel the potatoes and wash and cut them into julienne strips.
2. Wash the potato in running water using a colander to remove starch.
3. Cut the mushrooms into julienne strips.
4. Slice the onion and mince 2 cloves of garlic.
5. In a heated pan, add 2 tbs of olive oil and add the potato strips. Stir it with a wooden spoon for 1 minute.
6. Add 4-5 tbs water and lower the heat over lower heat to cook and stir it.
7. Cover the lid of the pan and simmer it for a few minutes.
8. Open the lid and add garlic and the mushroom strips and sauté until potato strips are fully cooked.
9. Add ½ ts to1 ts of salt (depends on your taste), 1 tbs of sesame oil and turn off the heat.
10. Garnish with chopped red pepper and green onion.
Standard YouTube License
- 7:15 How to make Korean ramen ("ramyeon":라면)by Maangchi Featured 146,145
- 6:32 Steamed eggs (Gyeranjjim:계란찜)by Maangchi270,955 views
- 5:07 Stirfried dried anchovy side dishes (myulchi bokkeum:멸치볶음)by Maangchi123,322 views
- 10:53 Kimchiby Maangchi1,291,023 views
- 8:03 Sweet pancakes (hoddeok:호떡)by Maangchi373,366 views
- 44:41 风水有关系 20121216 贵人金纸祈福大法 教你利用生肖方位开财运！by Laile Kangxi8,737 views
- 8:45 Korean spicy seafood noodle soup (jjampong:짬뽕)by Maangchi319,982 views
- 5:32 Korean style vegetable pancake ("yachaejeon")by Maangchi359,771 views
- 15:00 Türk Ekmek (1)by stelave56,522 views
- 4:51 Korean spinach side dish (Sigeumchinamul:시금치나물)by Maangchi241,630 views
- 9:11 Making mandu (Korean dumplings: 만두)by Maangchi404,026 views
- 7:15 Soondubu jjigae (hot and spicy soft tofu stew: 순두부찌개)by Maangchi769,643 views
- 9:04 Doenjang jjigae (Korean soybean paste stew: 된장찌개)by Maangchi250,788 views
- 6:37 Cucumber kimchi (oisobagi kimchi) and radish soup with beefby Maangchi374,093 views
- 5:19 How to make Korean hot pepper paste (Gochujang:고추장)by Maangchi182,085 views
- 7:15 Korean fried chicken recipeby Maangchi1,824,094 views
- 4:21 Green onion pancake (Pajeon: 파전)by Maangchi155,820 views
- 6:30 Pork bone soup ("gamjatang":감자탕)by Maangchi300,825 views
- 5:50 Korean rice dessert drink (Shikhye:식혜)by Maangchi135,944 views
- 8:52 Stir-fried squid dish (Ojingeobokkeum:오징어볶음)by Maangchi229,151 views
- Loading more suggestions...