Should You Go to Jail for Unlocking Your Phone?
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Published on Feb 21, 2013
"Who owns your phone at the end of the day?" asks Derek Khanna, a visiting fellow at Yale Law and former staff member at the Republican Study Committee.
Last fall, Khanna earned notoriety - and a pink slip - for a public memo urging GOP members of Congress to rethink their stance on copyright law.
More recently, in a column for The Atlantic, Khanna blasted a new ruling that criminalizes the unlocking of cellphones under the Digital Millenium Copyright Act (DMCA). Unlocking the phone simply means that a person could use a phone designed for one carrier on another carrier, assuming they had switched his plan. In addition to civil penalties, breaking this law could land you in prison for up to five years and force you to pay a fine of up to $500,000.
"In 1998 a poorly written statute, the DMCA, was passed and it prohibited a wide swath of commonly used technology in the name of defending copyright," Khanna explains. "If this is allowed to stand, then the answer is you don't own your phone."
A White House petition to change the law recently reached the 100,000 signature threshold, which means the Obama administration will have to give an opinion on the matter.
Khanna sat down with Reason's Nick Gillespie to discuss the unlocking your cellphone, the flaws in the DMCA, and why he was fired from the Republican Study Committee after writing a paper condemning current copyright law.
Derek Khanna on Twitter: https://twitter.com/dkhanna11
Nick Gillespie on Twitter: https://twitter.com/nickgillespie
About 17 minutes.
Shot by Amanda Winkler and Meredith Bragg. Produced by Bragg.
Visit http://reason.com/reasontv/2013/02/21... for downloadable versions and subscribe to Reason TV's YouTube channel to receive automatic updates when new material goes live.
Standard YouTube License
- 1:11:20 PandoMonthly: Fireside Chat With Peter Thielby PandoDaily Featured 19,934
- 42:03 John Stossel's Illegal Everythingby GaryMule15,897 views
- 56:33 Nassim Taleb Talks Antifragile, Libertarianism, and Capitalism's Genius for Failureby ReasonTV58,003 views
- 7:41 How to Unlock iPhones for FREE | FreeUnlocks.comby freeunlocks88,411 views
- 6:23 How Patent Trolls Kill Innovationby ReasonTV43,963 views
- 5:42 How To Unlock a Samsung Galaxy - It works 100% for any Samsung phoneby UnlockRiver.com188,016 views
- 6:16 Next Generation Mobile Phones Nanotechnologyby Prabhjeet Documentaries1,843,884 views
- 1:33 How To Unlock A Car Door With Any Mobile Phone / Cellphone !!!by john anderson103,085 views
- 6:38 Judge Napolitano on the 2012 Election, Obamacare, and The Future of Libertyby ReasonTV48,653 views
- 5:14 Hong Kong and China-One Country, Two Systems | China Uncensoredby China Uncensored14,101 views
- 8:01 Testing my magnet collectionby brainiac7512,271 views
- 41:18 War Or Not To W..., What Was The Question? -- Episode 160by X22Report4,417 views
- 4:10 Unlock any nokia phone freeby Yamen Jarai262,507 views
- 2:07 Unbelievable! How Google with ChillingEffects.org share and publish links to Pirate content!by humanNumer112,932 views
- 1:38 Raw: Giant Sinkhole Swallows Vacation Villaby AssociatedPress146,825 views
- 3:39 Unlock Codesby Mukul Verma689,035 views
- 0:49 How to make drivers drop their mobile phonesby RoyalJordanian567,597 views
- 3:52 How 'Pro-Choice' are Democrats?by ReasonTV293,578 views
- 7:53 Sandy Springs, Georgia: The City that Outsourced Everythingby ReasonTV132,733 views
- 21:19 Obama to Top Brass: Will you fire on American Citizens? - Dr. Jim Garrowby NextNewsNetwork925,128 views
- Loading more suggestions...