8th Annual Bridge Competition_Testing Bridges.wmv
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Uploaded on Nov 28, 2011
SIKESTON-After weeks of work to build the most efficient model bridges, Southeast Missouri high school students put their bridges to the test Nov. 17 at the finale of the Missouri Department of Transportation's eighth annual bridge building competition. The competition challenges high school juniors and seniors to design and construct the most efficient model bridge using limited materials-15 pieces of balsa wood, thread and glue.
Ste. Genevieve, Oak Ridge and Chaffee High Schools received first, second and third place for best overall performance, respectively. These schools received cash prizes donated by the Chapter 10 Transportation Employees Association of Missouri, as well as a U.S. flag donated by U.S. Representative Jo Ann Emerson.
In addition, five students were recognized for building the lightest bridges that carried the greatest loads. Winners included:
1st - Tommy Williams - Ste. Genevieve
2nd - Clayton Bauman - Ste. Genevieve
3rd - Kyle Nicholson - Ste. Genevieve
4th - Lance Rohde - Oak Ridge
5th - David Ditch - Ste. Genevieve
Other awards included the most aesthetic bridge, given to Hunter DeShaney of Clearwater, and the computer-based electronic bridge award given to Logan Giesler of Ste. Genevieve.
Prize donations and supply sponsorships have been made possible by the following businesses and organizations: U.S. Representative Jo Ann Emerson, Chapter 10 Transportation Employees Association of Missouri, Cape West 14 Cine, Three Rivers Community College, Cape Area Engineers Club, Southeast Physics & Engineering Club, Sam's Club, Kirlin's Hallmark of Cape Girardeau, Rhodes Convenience Stores, CiCi's Pizza, Chick Fil' A of Cape Girardeau, Burger King of Cape Girardeau, Popeyes/Drury of Cape Girardeau, Dominos Pizza, Panera Bread Company, Coca Cola, St. Louis Wacky Warriors Paintball Store, St. Louis Rams, Kansas City Royals, Kansas City Chiefs, Southern Illinois Miners, Southeast Missouri State University Bookstore and the Southeast Coalition for Roadway Safety.
MoDOT also partnered with Arkansas State University, Southeast Missouri State University, Missouri University of Science and Technology (formerly University of Missouri-Rolla), University of Missouri-Columbia (Mizzou) and Southern Illinois University of Carbondale, to offer seniors interested in civil engineering up to nearly $10,000 worth of civil engineering scholarships.
The Missouri State Highway Patrol and the Southeast Missouri Coalition for Roadway Safety were on hand during the competition to discuss the importance of buckling-up with the Seat Belt Convincer, which simulates how it feels to be in a traffic crash.
For more information about the bridge competition, please contact MoDOT's Customer Service Center toll-free at 1-888 ASK MODOT (275-6636) or visit http://www.modot.org/southeast/talkin....
Standard YouTube License
- 0:17 Indoor flight of rubber band powered airplaneby 10fanticFeatured 783,493
- 5:12 8th Annual Bridge Building Competition_Winners.wmvby MoDOTSoutheast 322 views
- 6:03 Balsa Wood Bridge: 202 Poundsby TheHairyPillowcase 33,314 views
- 3:31 SubTerrain: Build A Layout Fast & Easy - Building Bridgesby ModelSceneryExpert 3,710 views
- 3:04 Bridge Project 3/11 Matthewby TheGr8Hobo 46,077 views
- 2:12 Balsa Wood Bridge Competition // University of Portland Engineeringby nadrojylloh 337 views
- 1:04 Passer-by pushes suicide man off bridgeby moksha g 5,487 views
- 5:47 Fractal Geometry of Natureby johanntheking1234 7,166 views
- 4:40 carroll street bridge.movby Renee Dinnerstein 359 views
- 3:46 Arch Balsa Bridge Testing to FAILURE 478lbsby amfa0407 134 views
- 1:54 Balsa Wood Bridge Julian Dinsing 419 pounds!by Julian Dinsing 318 views
- 0:54 Model Balsa wood bridge testingby battalion666 13,222 views
- 5:33 Maine East High School Balsa Wood Bridge Contest 2010by ssj2009 16,909 views
- 15:00 1988 University Today - WWII Reenacting with Steve Brennemann & Jay Sproat (Pt. 2 of 2)by CCYDNE 135 views
- 14:37 How to build a balsa wood bridgeby Bill Lee 69,351 views
- 10:53 Southeast's Year in Review: 2009-2010by SEMissouriState 555 views
- 7:59 How to Build Scale WOODEN Structures part 1by ArtofModeling 5,903 views
- 6:57 Balsa Wood Bridge Project/Competitionby Ricardo Pozos 6,117 views
- 24:39 Tom and jerry in Rig A Bridge All Levels 1-25 +1-9 Bonus Level OyunDedem.comby OyunDedemcom 72,066 views
- 1:15 Odyssey of the Mind Balsa Testsby traxxas100 37,317 views
- Loading more suggestions...