CNN Interview-- Sarah Attar First Saudi woman competes in Olympic track
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Published on Aug 8, 2012
LONDON — Sarah Attar finished last and more than a half-minute slower than her nearest competitor in the women's 800 meters. Yet hundreds rose to give her a standing ovation as she crossed the finish line. The 19-year-old Attar ran 800 meters in 2 minutes, 44.95 seconds. To her, the time wasn't the point.
For the first woman from Saudi Arabia to compete in track and field at the Olympics, the principle was more important than the performance Wednesday.
Sarah Attar, 19, said it was a "huge step forward" for her to take part in the Games and expressed hopes that it would make a difference.
Wearing a white hood, a long-sleeved green top and black leggings, she received a standing ovation from spectators in the Olympics Stadium despite finishing eighth, more than 30 seconds behind the seventh-placed runner.
Attar, who has dual Saudi and US citizenship, said after the race: "It is the hugest honour to be here to represent the women of Saudi Arabia.
"It is an historic moment. I hope it will make a difference. It is a huge step forward. It's a really incredible experience."
Her father Amer added: "To see how the crowd reacted to her when she was running was very touching and very exciting."
She was only the second Saudi woman to compete in an Olympics after judo fighter Wojdan Ali Seraj Abdulrahim Shaherkani, 16, who was eliminated after losing her first bout last week.
The International Olympic Committee invited Attar and Shaherkani to take part in London 2012 after putting pressure on conservative Saudi Arabia to end its practice of sending men-only teams to the Games.
Attar was born in California to an American mother and a Saudi father. She has spent little time in Saudi Arabia, and is currently a student at Pepperdine University in Los Angeles.
She is normally a long-distance runner but because she does not have elite status, it was decided that she should compete in the 800m.
Her coach, Joaquim Cruz, the Brazilian winner of the 800m at the 1984 Games in Los Angeles, said: "She was thrown into the fire with the change of events. It's like me switching to the marathon all of the sudden, then trying to compete in the Olympics."
Attar wanted to represent Saudi Arabia at the Olympics as a way of inspiring women.
"For women in Saudi Arabia, I think this can really spark something to get more involved in sports, to become more athletic," she said. "Maybe in the next Olympics, we can have a very strong team to come."
This year, under pressure from the International Olympic Committee, Saudi Arabia broke its practice of fielding male-only teams by entering Wojdan Ali Seraj Abdulrahim Shahrkhani in judo and Attar in track and field.
Saudi Arabia is one of three Islamic countries, along with Qatar and Brunei, that brought female athletes for the first time, making this the first Olympics in which every national team includes a woman.
Standard YouTube License
- 55:13 Born to Run: The Secrets of Kenyan Athleticsby Robbie Fitzgibbon39,161 views
- 33:03 Women's 800m Heats - Montano, Jelimo & Semenya Set Times - London 2012 Olympicsby Olympics90,991 views
- 21:00 Manteo Mitchell (USA) Breaks Legs During 4 x 400m Relay - London 2012 Olympicsby Olympics275,303 views
- 17:04 Women's 4 x 400m Relay Round 1 - London 2012 Olympicsby Olympics96,071 views
- 20:13 Princess Ameerah Al-Taweel on Women's Rights, Islam & Giving Backby WSJDigitalNetwork393,836 views
- 34:23 Funny moments in Olympic games 2012 Londonby Spi0nANDmoreFailVideos2,134,741 views
- 0:31 Sarah Attar Makes Olympic History For Saudi Arabia - London 2012 Olympicsby Olympics54,406 views
- 1:43:26 USA v Nigeria - Men's Basketball Group A | London 2012 Olympicsby Olympics1,486,391 views
- 22:02 Athletics Women's 400m Semifinals (3 Heats) - Full Replay -- London 2012 Olympic Gamesby Olympics38,519 views
- 4:51 Oscar Pistorius runs 400M London Summer Olympics 2012by okokno com372,201 views
- 13 videos Play all Sports Highlights 2012by RyanB35
- 32:02 Athletics Men's 400m Round 1 Full Replay -- London 2012 Olympic Gamesby Olympics32,323 views
- 52:34 Athletics Women's 400m Round 1 - Full Replay -- London 2012 Olympic Gamesby Olympics18,476 views
- 9:01 Bahamas Win Men's 4 x 400m Relay Gold - London 2012 Olympicsby Olympics645,813 views
- 31:36 Athletics Men's Decathlon 400m - Full Replay -- London 2012 Olympic Gamesby Olympics28,560 views
- 7:53 USA Win 4x400m Relay Gold - London 2012 Olympicsby Olympics660,043 views
- 0:39 OLYMPIC TRACK DEBUT FOR SAUDI WOMENby GoUTube1235,565 views
- 43:09 Bourdain No Reservations in Saudi Arabia (Jeddah) HDby Faisal S271,945 views
- 1:59 العداءة السعودية سارة عطارby Khalid AlGhamdi31,763 views
- 12:26 Kirani James (GRN) and Luguelin Santos (DOM) Win 400m Semi-Finals - London 2012 Olympicsby Olympics216,392 views