The Problem of Islam in Sweden
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Uploaded on Aug 3, 2009
Don't ask Malmö's Jews to give the city the same glowing assessment. Jews who dare walk the streets wearing their yarmulkes risk being beaten up.
"It's true. Jews cannot walk the streets of Malmö and show that they're Jews," said Lars Hedegaard.
Hedegaard lives across the water from Malmö in Copenhagen, Denmark, where he was a columnist for one of Denmark's largest newspapers. He says pro-Israel demonstrations in Malmö, like the ones during the fighting
in Gaza earlier this year, were met with rocks, bottles and pipe bombs from Arabs and Leftists.
"I was there for demonstration; a pro-Israeli demonstration with about 400 or 500 people," Hedegaard told CBN News. "Jews and non-Jews, and I came over to cover it.
The police allowed, I'd say a hundred Palestinians or Arabs to shout and threaten and throw bombs and rockets at us. A homemade bomb landed about ten yards from me, and went off with a big bang. And now of course, I thought the police were going to jump these guys, get them out of the way. They didn't. They just let them stand there."
Swede Ted Ekeroth helped film the Arab-Left counter-demonstrations. He saw Arabs throwing rocks at a 90-year-old holocaust survivor.
"I filmed the police chief and asked him why are they not reacting to this," Ekeroth said. "Why are they not doing anything? And he simply answered, 'It's their right according to the Swedish constitution.' We apparently did not have the same right, because we were forced out of there. Our manifestation for Israel is always peaceful, and theirs is always the quite opposite -- Death, hate and killing of Jews. They come and they shout different slogans," he continued. "It can be everything from Arabic slogans inciting killing of Jews to in Swedish and Danish, 'Kill the Jews.'
Political Alliance Against Israel
And like all over the Western world, some on the Left, along with Arabs and Muslims and anarchists, have formed a political alliance against Israel and Jews. They demonstrate together, and in Sweden, they vote together. Muslims are a core constituency of the Left.
The immigrant issue a big reason the right-wing Swedish Democrats are the fastest growing political party in the country.
Matthias Karlsson is the Swedish Democrats' Press Secretary
"In many parts of Sweden, people are, as I said, fed up," Karlsson said. "And they're being pushed too far and they want to make a stand."
Fascist and Bigoted?
Swedish Democrats, who stand for traditional Christian values and limits on immigration, have been stigmatized by the Swedish media as fascist and bigoted.
Erik Almqvuist is national youth leader for the Swedish Democrats.
"The media has tried to portray us as extremists, racists," he said. "People think we're almost inhuman"
Almqvuist faces regular death threats, and was almost killed recently in a Left-wing knife attack.
"The multicultural model in Sweden has polarized society," Almqvuist explained. "We have a political polarization. We have also an ethnic polarization. And the extremes are growing and it's harder and harder to get to consensus."
Hedegaard says as Malmö goes, so goes the rest of Sweden.
"I think the best prediction is that Sweden will have a Muslim majority by 2049, so we know where that country's going," he said.
CBN News was unable to get a response from Malmö's mayor, Ilmar Reepalu. But he told a Swedish publication that he does not think anti-Semitism is greater in Malmö than in other Swedish cities, and said that harassment of Jews is "not good."
CBN News also asked a number of Malmö Jewish leaders to appear on camera to discuss the climate of anti-Semitism. They all declined, with one saying it would only make the situation worse.
*Originally aired March 12, 2009.
Standard YouTube License
- 3:03 Welcome to Sweden of Today.by WelcometoSwedenFeatured 329,023
- 5:55 The Problem of Islam in Europeby john doe 108,149 views
- 5:41 Welcome To Belgistan -- The New Muslim Capital Of Europeby hawkwarrior7 223,902 views
- 7:10 Islam in Sweden: Abolish Secular Law - No Go Zoneby Islam is Peace 8,575 views
- 4:10 MUSLIM WOMAN TELLS THE TRUTH ABOUT ISLAMby tuubijuu 1,134,761 views
- 15:00 Is clash between Islam and the West inevitable?by Muslim Council of Britain (MCB) 26,795 views
- 2:59 Muslim Girl takes her burka off on YouTubeby 91177info 740,509 views
- 22:08 Should We Tolerate The Intolerant?by Atheist GhostlyAtheist Atheism Free Thinking Rationality 350,179 views
- 5:04 Norwegian Muslims want beheading for failing to observe the fast inIslamic schoolsby Ban Koran 98,402 views
- 7:09 Europe more and more against Islam!by xtreem1475 155,275 views
- 6:40 Wake up Europe (Islam in Europe).by Golden Dawn 47,107 views
- 5:55 The Problem of Islam in Europeby 1001Phoenix 65,922 views
- 31:42 Radical Islam In Americaby SimpleToRemember.com 98,967 views
- 2:01 Anti-Immigration Feelings Sweep Across Europeby NewsPoliticsInfo 138,385 views
- 9:01 Three things you (probably) don't know about islamby Bullsh@t Free Zone 287,046 views
- 24:55 Inside Story - Europe's rising anti-Islam trendby AlJazeeraEnglish 48,796 views
- 4:31 MUSLIMS IN (BERLIN) GERMANY : School Rioting & Welfareby BarclayAvenue's channel 137,600 views
- 11:47 "The Biggest Problem with Islam Are the Muslims"by GalneGunnarTV 20,459 views
- 6:06 Islam in Europeby Pat Condell 751,585 views
- 2:06 England: No-Go Areas for Kuffar (Non-Muslims)by 1001Phoenix 179,212 views
- Loading more suggestions...