Tom Curren J Bay Quad
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Uploaded on Apr 21, 2009
In 1992 Tom Curren made his first trip to Jeffreys Bay South Africa.
He appeared in the Rip Curl videos 'Search 2' and 'Searching for Tom Curren' and in the majority of the footage of the larger size wave sessions he was riding a 6'11" x 18 x 2-5/15", McKee Quattro, four-fin, swallowtail, gun.
The fin set-up consisted of the rear fins being larger than the front fins. The fin cluster was fairly spread apart with the rear fins being close together and quite far back. The fins all had a medium flex and were glassed on. The bottom shape was a light forward Vee in the middle to a deep Vee with deep double concave in the tail. This helped give the board it's amazing speed and control.
The fact that he was riding a four-fin or 'quad' was amazingly never mentioned.
He also appeared in the video 'Ultmate Sessions', section shown here, where all of his J-Bay performance was on the McKee Quattro board. The commentator even incorrectly states he was on a 7'3" pintail when a close look at Tom running up the beach with the board, clearly shows him carrying a quad fin swallowtail.
In another sound track the commentators even incorrectly claim the name of the supposed shaper..
It is a mystery why this surf-industry changing truth was never revealed to the public.
Tom's next session riding a fish in Indonesia, did though, launch a revival of the fish style board..
Maybe one day, someone will tell us why, or who, decided to keep the technological nature of this momentous day at Jeffrey's in 1992 a secret.
The result allowed shaper-designer and inventor Bruce Mckee to continue his 'Mission Quattro' which finally resulted in the 2001 launch of his website containing fin position formulas and relevant detail that has become the reference point for high performance quad fin enthusiasts.
Standard YouTube License
- 9:13 Tom Curren VS Gary Elkerton, MARUI PRO FINAL 1988 in NIIJIMAby Kei KusakabeFeatured 49,713
- 7:59 Pipe Masters 1986 Part 2 Tom Curren Derek Ho Martin Potter Chris Frohof - Interviews Potter e Currenby surfskatevideos1 3,680 views
- 2:59 Kelly Slater at J-Bay 2005 the best waves ever - Gratz to da 10x Slats :)by MadSound321 69,497 views
- 4:32 Rare Tom Curren Profile + Interview on Sports Illustrated 1988 ( Tom at age 21 )by surfskatevideos1 3,834 views
- 1:51 Tom Curren VS Dane Reynolds On Demand - 2012 Quiksilver Rincon Classicby HappensSantaBarbara 71,267 views
- 4 videos Play all Surfby scottb112
- 6:54 Tom Curren - Masterby alejandrok1 17,068 views
- 8:56 Tom Curren, MARUI PRO 1990 in HEBARA 2/3by Kei Kusakabe 26,436 views
- 3:08 Dane Reynolds @ J-Bayby tabrigade 37,020 views
- 4:04 Kelly Slater- Big Wednesday SURFING SANDBAR!by Andrew Hahn 278,031 views
- 1:55 Tom Curren. Jeffreys Bayby World Pro Surfers - Surfing Channel 8,579 views
- 4:00 Tom Curren vs Tom Carroll-The 1986 Stubbies Pro finalby 28Media 57,523 views
- 3:38 Kelly Slater and Tom Curren Surf Pipelineby TheInertiaCom 141,489 views
- 7:38 Tom Curren Surfing Christmas 07by Rogue Surfer Cam Films 27,319 views
- 6:54 SURF: Bruce Irons and Occy vs Curren!by wwwskufftv 15,670 views
- 1:13 KELLY SLATER'S INCREDIBLE BARREL JUST AFTER HE SEALED HIS 11TH WORLD TITLE SAN FRANCISCO 2011by 100PERCENTSURF 10,684 views
- 3:11 Tom Curren "El Canoe" Surfby theeElectricSunshine's channel 1,999 views
- 2:52 Epic J-Bay - Bali Strickland Productionby XTreme Video 40,062 views
- 4:13 Kelly Slater: Shorter is Better Theory - TransWorld SURFby transworld 126,263 views
- 6:48 Pipeline Masters 1985 Pt 1 Gerry Lopez Terry Ahue Hans Hedemann Mark Occhilupo Dane Kealohaby surfskatevideos1 2,955 views
- 2:02 Clash of the Icons Occy vs Curren - 2010 Rip Curl Pro Bells Beachby ASPWorldTour 19,128 views
- Loading more suggestions...