Florida Couple Forecloses on Bank of America
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Uploaded on Jun 4, 2011
NAPLES — When Bank of America tried to foreclose on Warren and Maureen Nyerges' fully-paid, Golden Gate Estates home last year, it was a mistake.
When the couple's attorney arrived at a Bank of America branch Friday morning with deputies, a moving company and a court writ permitting him to seize furniture and cash to recoup fees in the case, it was a last alternative.
"This could have all been settled for nothing a while ago, but it got completely blown out of proportion," Warren Nyerges, 46, said on Thursday.
In a scene that turns Southwest Florida's foreclosure crisis on its head, Collier Sheriff's deputies delivered the writ to a Davis Boulevard branch of the bank on Friday morning, presenting the bank manager with two options — he could either pay the $2,500 in attorneys fees the Nyergeses were awarded in December, or the movers would begin taking furniture and cash.
An hour later, as reporters and movers waited outside, the bank agreed to cut a check.
"I don't know any other way we could've done this," Nyerges attorney Todd Allen said.
The Daily News reported on Bank of America's mistaken foreclosure attempt in 2010, as Warren Nyerges fought the case in court without an attorney.
The couple, who moved to Naples from Ohio, bought the single-story, 2,700-square-foot home from Bank of America with cash in 2009. A mortgage was never executed in the purchase, either with Bank of America or any other lender.
After he received the foreclosure complaint in 2010, Warren Nyerges fought it on the phones and in court for two months before its dismissal. He then sought the attorneys fees for his trouble, a request granted in a December judgment.
Some five months and repeated phone calls later, neither Bank of America nor its local counsel, the troubled David J. Stern law firm, had paid the judgment or responded to Nyerges. The homeowner said he even tried calling bank CEO Brian Moynihan, to no avail.
"They refused to pay," Nyerges said. "And I tried everything I could, to anyone who would listen to me."
In January they hired Allen, a foreclosure defense attorney. Yet Allen's attempts to get the money also failed to produce a response. Allen said he then sent letters to Bank of America's general counsel, warning the couple he would pursue a levy.
Allen obtained a writ of execution from the court — permission, basically, to seize assets to satisfy a judgment — and he took it to the Sheriff's Office. Warren Nyerges paid a $10,000 bond, and the Sheriff's Office hired movers.
Friday morning, two deputies entered the office and confronted the bank manager. As Allen, Maureen Nyerges and the movers waited outside, the manager called supervisors.
- 7:49 Banks foreclose on homes that they don't ownby jim boFeatured 24,971
- 3:04 Philadelphia Man Forecloses on Wells Fargo (Fox News)by dncngferrt 15,477 views
- 2:41 Bank of America Walkoutby roydeyoung09 155,686 views
- 1:40 Bank of America DOES NOT accept AMERICAN DOLLARS as payment on mortgages in AMERICA!by Gary Larrabee 15,232 views
- 4:18 Bank of America: Bad for Americaby SEIU 81,479 views
- Bank of America 12,966 videos10
- 1:36 File a Quiet Title - Get your Property FREE AND CLEAR From MERS Banksby Sherrie QuestioningAll 77,370 views
- 10:31 BREAKING NEWS! BANKS GOT CAUGHT MORTGAGE FRAUD! - NBCby creditrelief 3,229 views
- 4:37 2nd Amendment ALERT!!! I just called Bank of America... you have to hear this!by fstemick 300,170 views
- 1:45 Bank of America Workers Speak Outby letstalkbanks 53,926 views
- 2:29 Bank of America refuses to let customers close accountsby ShowMeProgress 287,606 views
- 1:33 Congressman asks why has DHS purchased 1.6 billion rounds of ammo over the past year?by BombShellInfo 2,404 views
- 6:43 GHOST HOMES & FORECLOSURES IN SO. CALIFORNIAby Silveready1 6,365 views
- 1:09 US Uncut crashes Bank of America Conferenceby 100ProofPolitics 28,676 views
- 3:34 Foreclosed home owners out for revengeby KXLY 55,137 views
- 1:36 Homeowner Forecloses On Bank of Americaby Politicophobia1776 17,320 views
- 8:23 Bank of America to Gun Company: Find Another Bankby NRAVideos 33,750 views
- 2:12 Man Fights Bank of America and Winsby Mike Mosteller 37,611 views
- 12:03 Bank Of Americaby CBS 33,357 views
- 2:40 Renee Stoll: Local couple foreclosing on bank strikes chord worldwideby rrstoll1 1,284 views
- 11:25 The Truth about Fraud and Bank of America Foreclosureby themortagagetrap 16,543 views
- Loading more suggestions...