Florida Couple Forecloses on Bank of America
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Uploaded on Jun 4, 2011
NAPLES — When Bank of America tried to foreclose on Warren and Maureen Nyerges' fully-paid, Golden Gate Estates home last year, it was a mistake.
When the couple's attorney arrived at a Bank of America branch Friday morning with deputies, a moving company and a court writ permitting him to seize furniture and cash to recoup fees in the case, it was a last alternative.
"This could have all been settled for nothing a while ago, but it got completely blown out of proportion," Warren Nyerges, 46, said on Thursday.
In a scene that turns Southwest Florida's foreclosure crisis on its head, Collier Sheriff's deputies delivered the writ to a Davis Boulevard branch of the bank on Friday morning, presenting the bank manager with two options — he could either pay the $2,500 in attorneys fees the Nyergeses were awarded in December, or the movers would begin taking furniture and cash.
An hour later, as reporters and movers waited outside, the bank agreed to cut a check.
"I don't know any other way we could've done this," Nyerges attorney Todd Allen said.
The Daily News reported on Bank of America's mistaken foreclosure attempt in 2010, as Warren Nyerges fought the case in court without an attorney.
The couple, who moved to Naples from Ohio, bought the single-story, 2,700-square-foot home from Bank of America with cash in 2009. A mortgage was never executed in the purchase, either with Bank of America or any other lender.
After he received the foreclosure complaint in 2010, Warren Nyerges fought it on the phones and in court for two months before its dismissal. He then sought the attorneys fees for his trouble, a request granted in a December judgment.
Some five months and repeated phone calls later, neither Bank of America nor its local counsel, the troubled David J. Stern law firm, had paid the judgment or responded to Nyerges. The homeowner said he even tried calling bank CEO Brian Moynihan, to no avail.
"They refused to pay," Nyerges said. "And I tried everything I could, to anyone who would listen to me."
In January they hired Allen, a foreclosure defense attorney. Yet Allen's attempts to get the money also failed to produce a response. Allen said he then sent letters to Bank of America's general counsel, warning the couple he would pursue a levy.
Allen obtained a writ of execution from the court — permission, basically, to seize assets to satisfy a judgment — and he took it to the Sheriff's Office. Warren Nyerges paid a $10,000 bond, and the Sheriff's Office hired movers.
Friday morning, two deputies entered the office and confronted the bank manager. As Allen, Maureen Nyerges and the movers waited outside, the manager called supervisors.
- 6:35 Bank Of America Minority Home Loan Settlement - $335 Millionby The Young Turks Featured 49,127
- 6:46 Homeowner vs Bank of America: No Deed No Debtby NoDeedNoDebt52,939 views
- 5:12 Bank of America refuses money for house payment - FEB 3 , 2012by DOCSAFETUBE18,076 views
- 3:04 Philadelphia Man Forecloses on Wells Fargo (Fox News)by dncngferrt23,200 views
- 4:37 2nd Amendment ALERT!!! I just called Bank of America... you have to hear this!by fstemick331,696 views
- 0:49 Bank of America does NOT accept U.S. DOLLARS as payment on mortgages in AMERICA? 1 of 2by Rob & Ana v Bank of America106,804 views
- 20:59 Fight Mortgage Fraud and MERS with Quiet Title, Securitization and RICO.by Michelle Cruz Rosado9,264 views
- 4:22 Man Takes on Bank - and Wins! (CNN)by dncngferrt18,847 views
- 45:40 OPPT bank and corporate "government" foreclosures - discussion meeting in Cape Town, South Africaby greg copeland7,879 views
- 3:00 Bank of America Gets Foreclosed Onby saluki42061,668 views
- 19:01 WORLD BANKER MAKES STUNNING CONFESSIONby PremierLegend1,694,285 views
- 4:29 Americans Arrested for Dancing at the Jefferson Memorial in D.C.by BombShellInfo72,933 views
- 3:00 Homeowner turns the tables on Bank of America Deputies Seize their propertyby Cybor Geek12,998 views
- 14:07 How to STOP FORECLOSURE-Single mom uncovers loan FORGERY-biggest Mortgage fraud scandal in historyby Pam Ragland4,941 views
- 1:16:34 Make 50,000 A Month with Foreclosure Clean Outby foreclosurecom11,475 views
- 5:14 Anonymous Vs Bank of Americaby Anon NV232,013 views
- 2:12 Man Fights Bank of America and Winsby Mike Mosteller42,223 views
- 14:27 Bank Mortgage Fraud Foreclosure - Cancel Your Mortgage Todayby David Young5,154 views
- 1:26:46 Mortgage and MERS Fraud Exposed: Learn how to save your house from foreclosureby Fraud Stoppers16,047 views
- 3:34 Foreclosed home owners out for revengeby KXLY65,177 views
- Loading more suggestions...