The Kinks " Waterloo Sunset
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Uploaded on Jul 2, 2007
The Kinks are an English rock group formed in 1963, and categorised in the US as a British Invasion band. The Kinks have been cited as one of the most important and influential rock bands of all time.
The Kinks first gained prominence in 1964 with their third single, the hit "You Really Got Me", written by Ray Davies. The band's name came from their "kinky" dress sense of leather capes and boots worn on stage.The group's original line-up consisted of Ray Davies on lead vocals/rhythm guitar/keyboards, Dave Davies on lead guitar/vocals, Pete Quaife on backing vocals/bass guitar, and Mick Avory on drums and percussion. Following Quaife's departure in 1969, the band centred around the three remaining original members and frequently changed bassists and keyboardists. In 1984, friction between Dave Davies and Mick Avory resulted in the latter's departure, leaving only the brothers from the original line-up. However, the increasingly deteriorating relationship between the Davies brothers, together with a string of unsuccessful records, led to the break-up of the band in 1996. In late 2008, Ray Davies confirmed that the band are reuniting and are gearing for a possible new album and tour.
The band's early hard-driving singles set a standard in the mid-1960s for rock and roll, while albums such as Face to Face, Something Else, The Kinks Are the Village Green Preservation Society, Arthur, Lola versus Powerman and the Moneygoround, Part One and Muswell Hillbillies and their accompanying singles, are highly regarded by fans, critics, and peers, and are considered amongst the most influential recordings of the era. During the New Wave era, groups such as The Jam, The Knack, and The Pretenders covered Kinks songs and Britpop acts such as Blur, Oasis and Supergrass have cited them as a major influence. Many modern bands such as The Killers, The Libertines, and Franz Ferdinand acknowledge The Kinks and Ray Davies' songwriting skills. In the VH1 documentary HEAVY: the Story of Metal The Kinks are mentioned as one of the early bands that can be traced with a heavy metal sound. Noel Gallagher, guitarist and songwriter for the English band Oasis, called The Kinks the 5th best band of all time.
As self-professed Kinks fan Pete Townshend said for The History of Rock 'n' Roll: "The Kinks were much more quintessentially English. I always think that Ray Davies should one day be Poet Laureate. He invented a new kind of poetry and a new kind of language for pop writing that influenced me from the very, very, very beginning."
Standard YouTube License
- Buy "Waterloo Sunset" on
- 2:36 California Dreamin - Mamas & The Papasby goldhuntingFeatured 12,440,902
- 4:04 "Lola"- The Kinksby FlameofSuzaku 4,118,956 views
- 3:27 The Kinks - Sunny Afternoonby Ryan Miller 5,956,841 views
- 2:20 Small Faces, Itchycoo Parkby Foxtrotx1 2,976,540 views
- 4:01 A Whiter Shade Of Pale - Procol Harumby Meowbay 13,110,549 views
- 2:27 Till The End Of The Day- The Kinks- 1965by 74sodapop 316,206 views
- 2:23 The Kinks - A Well Respected Manby Ryan Miller 816,972 views
- 2:19 The Kinks- All Day and All of the Nightby foreverWHOfan 4,042,164 views
- 11:48 The Doors - The End (original)by 6cath6arsis6 5,558,225 views
- 5:45 The kinks - Lolaby seeE19 1,418,453 views
- 2:33 Marianne Faithfull - As Tears Go By (1965)by nyrainbow2 6,239,627 views
- 4:23 Lou Reed - Walk On The Wild Sideby Princeboy99 3,231,860 views
- 2:28 The Yardbirds - For Your Loveby Reval S 1,596,024 views
- 5:26 Kinks - I'm Not Like Everybody Elseby Awesome777s 333,841 views
- 3:44 Fleetwood Mac - Go Your Own Way (HQ)by TheGreatestRockSongs 12,949,408 views
- 3:32 The Kinks - Sunny Afternoon - Studio Version (lyrics)by AtomicVHPunk 286,980 views
- 2:35 The Monkees - I'm a Believer [official music video]by boydkoers 18,380,047 views
- 2:53 The Kinks - Daysby Phil Bebbington 449,907 views
- 3:36 The Kinks - Sunny Afternoon (With Lyrics!)by exkirkhammet 385,768 views
- 2:09 The Kinks - Waterloo Sunset (UK TV)by John1948SevenE 70,303 views
- Loading more suggestions...