Trains at Mt Lofty Station Pt1 - Australian Trains, South Australia
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Uploaded on Feb 19, 2011
Trains passing through Mt Lofty Railway Station February 2011.
Mount Lofty railway station is a railway station in South Australia, on the former Adelaide-Bridgewater railway line, located in the Adelaide Hills suburb of Stirling. The station opened in 1883 and it is located 31.0 km (19m41c) by rail from the Adelaide Railway Station. It is the highest railway station between Adelaide and Melbourne.
Two platforms were provided. The north or 'Down' platform is 125.0 metres long and the south or 'Up' platform is 103.6 metres long. Both platforms are still in place, although no longer in use. The wooden steps leading down to the station building is still in place, but has been fenced off and is very fragile. The station signs on both platforms, which were mainly used at stations in the hills and near the beach (eg Belair and Semaphore respectively) from early in the 1900s to the 1980s, are also still in place.
Until 1987, Adelaide suburban trains serviced the station and went further east to Bridgewater. The trains were withdrawn in that year because of high cost of operating the trains and low passenger numbers. All railway stations beyond Belair, including Mount Lofty railway station were closed to suburban trains, and most of the other stations have since been demolished .
In 1995 the main railway line from Adelaide to Melbourne was converted from Broad Gauge (1600mm) to Standard Gauge (1435mm), thus preventing any restoration of local trains to Mount Lofty and beyond, as the Adelaide suburban system remained as broad gauge. At the station there are three standard gauge railway tracks, two for interstate freight, and the third is used to stable track machines. The southern track is the main line and the northern track is the crossing loop. As the length of the crossing loop is 629 metres, the crossing of trains at Mount Lofty is rare.
Today, Mount Lofty railway station is a private hotel. Bookings can be made during most of the year. A substantial number of interstate freight trains pass through the station each day.
Standard YouTube License
- 2:14 6 loco Grain Train ON FIRE! Mount Lofty Railway Station! Loud!by RailwayAustraliaFeatured 8,727
- 3:25 71000 and 8624 on the first public train of the MCR galaby buxton4472 2,432 views
- 10:01 Trains at Mt. Lofty Station, South Australia (Wed. 14th Jan, 2009 - Fri. 16th Jan, 2009)by MickFix 2,143 views
- 10:17 South Australian Trains Vol-5, Australian Trainsby AustralianTrains 4,023 views
- 36:00 All Manner Of Trainsby Film Australia 40,228 views
- 8:25 Freight Trains Around Mallala, South Australia - Australian Trainsby AustralianTrains 3,361 views
- 11:07 South Australian Trains at Mt Lofty Station Vol-2, Australian Trainsby AustralianTrains 1,116 views
- 9:56 Railways of South Australia - Peterborough, Pt Augusta and Trans Australia lineby VRfan 388,931 views
- 6:09 Adelaide Freight Trains - Australian Trains, South Australiaby AustralianTrains 14,947 views
- 15:10 50 Trains in 15 Minutes Compilation - Australian Trains, South Australiaby Australian Trains 150,015 views
- 11:09 Steam and Diesel hauled Trains in the North East: Australian Trainsby vrfan2006 1,779 views
- 8:35 South Australian Trains Vol-4, Australian Trainsby AustralianTrains 2,851 views
- 9:59 Steamranger Southern Encounter - Part 2: Australian Trainsby vrfan2006 2,301 views
- 7:14 Flinders Street Railway Station Melbourne Australia.mpgby RailroadPacific 1,900 views
- 10:01 Trains in South Australia Vol-3, Australian Trainsby AustralianTrains 4,680 views
- 1:48 Australian Steam Trains: R761 departs Victoria for Barnesby pheonics153 1,661 views
- 39:07 A Great Railroad at Work - 1942 American Railroads & Trains Documentaryby Transport and Technology 96,086 views
- 2:12 Waiting at a Railway Crossingby ajwhitton 4,766 views
- 13:07 Treinen door Bunnik, 10-19 februari 2011by Citypendel 1,690 views
- 4:05 Elzorro,s latest stall part 2 Warrenheip Bank 03,07,2011by Neil Smith 3,612 views
- Loading more suggestions...