Rugby World Cup 2011 | Opening Ceremony | Vid 1 of 4 (HQ)
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Uploaded on Sep 9, 2011
THIS VIDEO IS PROPERTY OF TELEVISION NEW ZEALAND www.tvnz.co.nz - PROUD TO BE FROM NZ!!! Read on for the synopsis...
[NOTE RE: COMMENTS: If you have nothing positive to say then don't say it. Any negative comments pertaining to any matters outside of the RWC or this video will be removed. Please keep it clean for younger audiences. Thank you.]
The first sequence begins with a representation of the Maori people of New Zealand's beliefs around the Creation.
The Call - (or known as a Karanga to Maori people) is an official welcome given by Maori women or a woman in this case. The Maori people believe that "a woman's voice is a powerful thing...she is the giver of life. Her karanga calls us from the darkness of Te Po (the night) and takes us into Te Ao Marama (the world of light). Her energy unlocks the pulse of life. The karanga is enhanced by 'moko' patterns - the spiritually powerful tattoo designs shown as "vibrations of energy" which are etched into the faces and bodies [and souls] of many Maori"* as is the mana (prestige and identity) that everyone is born with. The karanga was composed (with Taiaha Hawke. English Translation from Tim Worrall] and given by Precious Clark. Her karakia (prayer) is to the chiefs and champions of Aotearoa (NZ) who sound the Pukaea (wooden trumpets) to gather together the people of the nation before extending the call to the rest of the world.
*Quoted from Tainui Stephens
The Journey - New Zealand, the nation of Sails as per commentary. Inspired by the ocean voyagers over the centuries who came to New Zealand. "Maori paved the way for the Pakeha (Europeans) and Pasifika and many other peoples from all over the world. They came in their own waka (canoes/ships) bringing their beliefs, their dreams, their sweat and their games. Many waves of migration have created a small but proud country with staggering cultural diversity and our own unique sense of union." The mangopare (hammer-head sharks) is the theme for RWC 2011 and is described as per commentary.
The Challenge - A haka (challenge) by Te Mātārae I Orehu - National Kapahaka Champions 2011 for Te Matatini O Te Ra (see: www.maoritelevision.com). Lead by male leader Wetini Mitai Ngatai and female leader Miriama Hare. This powerful haka was intended to awaken and call on the powers and strength of Ruaumoko (the God of Earthquakes, Volcanic eruptions) causing havoc in his mother, Papatuanuku's (or Mother Earth) womb to the point of breaking ground. Hence, the visual effect of seismic activity on a volcano. During the haka, Wahine (women) have the dual role of not only instigating and inciting their Tane (men) to anger but to reinforce protection of their families, tribe and land; and this they do by supporting them in their aggressive stance and fierce haka. In this respect, this is the reason why the Haka has significant meaning and purpose to our people.
[Note: If only I could get the kupu of the haka?]
The ceremony was masterminded by one of the world's best live event companies, David Atkins Enterprises (DAE), which has staged many other spectacular opening events such as the Vancouver Winter Olympics and Sydney Olympic Games.
Standard YouTube License
Next in Rugby World Cup 2011 - Opening Ceremony
- 35:05 Rugby World Cup 2011 Opening Ceremonyby Faber Optimé28,558 views
- rugbyworldcup 209 videos9K
- 36:33 Classic RWC Sevens: NZ vs FIJ 2005 Cup finalby irb49,928 views
- 12:43 Campbell Live - All Blacks Win Rugby World Cup 2011by Liam Brooky68,173 views
- 8:30 RWC 2011 Best Triesby Nacho Pannunzio568,078 views
- 3:19 Hayley Westenra - World In Union 2011 (Rugby World Cup Theme Song) (FULL SONG)by 540trickzter401,658 views
- 13:57 RWC 2011 OPENING AUCKLAND (Queen St)by zonictv20,860 views
- 6:57 Rugby World Cup 2011 Highlightsby MasteRugby349,406 views
- 13:06 Opening Ceremony - Beijing 2008 Summer Olympic Gamesby beijing20083,137,120 views
- 13:52 Rugby World Cup 2011 | Opening Ceremony - Ending | Vid 4 of 4 (HQ)by Wahine Toa No Aotearoa104,980 views
- 1:01 the best all blacks haka everby horrorkev3,016,351 views
- 8:56 All Blacks World Cup 2011by Simon Anderson123,096 views
- 12:10 Rugby World Cup 2011 Highlightsby guettebaRWC11839,031 views
- 5:28 One Team- Rugby World Cup 2011 HDby wolfmanh100,303 views
- 1:30:26 Rugby WC 1999 - Semi-Final - France vs. New Zealandby hike6ones244,689 views
- 3:38 Rugby World Cup 2011 Tributeby circuschris2880170,805 views
- 2:41:52 Rugby World Cup 1995 New Zealand vs South Africaby Richard Sherman73,911 views
- 3:47 The Best of Jonah Lomu MUST SEE!! Part 1by churrbaycuzzy g4,903,158 views
- 2:19:23 RWC 2003 - Final - England vs. Australiaby hike6ones126,500 views