Obama plea for US gun law changes
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Published on Sep 23, 2013
President Barack Obama calls for changes to the nation's gun laws while attending a memorial for the victims of the Washington Navy Yard shootings.
President Obama said Americans should honour the victims of last Monday's shooting by insisting on a change in gun laws.
"We Americans are not an inherently more violent people than folks in other countries," he said.
"What makes us so susceptible to so many mass shootings, is that we don't do enough, we don't take the basic common sense actions to keep guns out of the hands of criminals and dangerous people."
He acknowledged "the politics are difficult", a lesson he learned after failing to get increased background checks for gun buyers through the Democratic-controlled Senate this spring.
Mr Obama had proposed the measures after the shooting at Connecticut's Sandy Hook Elementary School, in which 20 children and six adults were killed.
"I do not accept that we cannot find a common sense way to preserve our traditions including our basic Second Amendment freedoms and rights of law abiding gun owners, while at the same time reducing the gun violence that unleashes so much mayhem on a regular basis," he said.
Mr Obama joined military leaders in eulogising the 12 victims killed in last Monday's shooting, speaking from the parade grounds at the Marine Barracks, a site personally selected by Thomas Jefferson because of its close marching distance to the Navy Yard.
Get the latest headlines http://www.telegraph.co.uk/
Subscribe to The Telegraph http://www.youtube.com/subscription_c...
Like us on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/telegraph.co.uk
Follow us on Twitter https://twitter.com/telegraph
Follow us on Google+ https://plus.google.com/1028913550727...
Telegraph.co.uk and YouTube.com/TelegraphTV are websites of The Daily Telegraph, the UK's best-selling quality daily newspaper providing news and analysis on UK and world events, business, sport, lifestyle and culture.
Standard YouTube License
- 51:20 Пусть говорят. "Невероятная любовь" (19.06.2013)by iEuropeans Featured 245,426
- 2:44 Barack Obama vents anger over 'shameful' gun control defeatby The Telegraph26,596 views
- 4:11 Obama calls for Americans to fight harder against gun crimeby The Telegraph1,220 views
- 0:44 Iain Dale fights Damian McBride protesterby The Telegraph8,485 views
- 2:05 Nairobi shopping mall attack: amateur footage emerges of initial stages of attackby The Telegraph33,090 views
- 1:16:37 Obama's Shocking Past Revealedby TheAlexJonesChannel71,692 views
- 8:51 Bill Cosby on Obama and Gunsby david1j1adams512,322 views
- 3:12:20 New CA Gun laws and what they will do for us here and all who wish to visit.by 2A4USA
- 12:21 Top DARPA Projects That Should Creep You Outby TRUTHstreammedia56,676 views
- 23:57 The Gun That Aims Itself (Documentary)by MotherboardTV829,328 views
- 6:46 Michael Moore Loses Gun Control Debate HARDby PeoplesUnderground587,233 views
- 1:03:55 Obama speaks at Navy Yard memorial serviceby Washington Post3,064 views
- 44:46 Military Combat Technology Documentaryby worldmilitarytech119,408 views
- 44:39 Conspiracy Theory-Jesse Ventura-Aliens are a hoax-Area 51 is making SECRET war planesby DougandDonna Bickford355,728 views
- 11:49 Obama Supporters Don't Know Obamaby wearechange180,337 views
- 7:14 Sheriff Refuses to Enforce Unconstitutional Executive Orders in Arizona Countyby Qronos1661,700 views
- 6:23 America's Confusing Gun Lawsby StosselOnFBN2,480 views
- 4:40 Sheriff to Obama: I Will Not enforce Unconstitutional Gun Lawsby djgabrielpresents63,005 views
- 6:55 Glenn Beck Attacks Obama On 'Transformation' of America: 'We're Literally Living in 1984′by MichaelSavage4Prez8,311 views
- 57:03 The Best singing auditions / BGT / AGT /Xfactor (NOT for the tone deaf)by TheLoneWolf247 .2,731,264 views
- Loading more suggestions...