We the Taxpayers Subsidize Corporations So Their Employees Can Eat
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Published on Aug 31, 2012
If you don't like welfare and you don't like food stamps, tell Congress to raise the minimum wage. Government of, by, and for the People means putting people before profit. Our taxpayer dollars are subsidizing the profit margins of powerful corporations who can buy influence in Washington enough to write our laws. We need to change that. So the next time a slick, expensively produced advertisement tells you to hate your fellow Americans who are struggling to feed their families, think about this: how much did it cost to create that advertisement? Who paid for it? And why? The definition of patriotism is not just love of country; it is also love of the PEOPLE who live in this country. If you are truly a patriot, don't allow your television to instruct you to hate your brothers and sisters, your fellow Americans. Help us connect our communities to reclaim our government for the People.
Join Jessica in the Coffee Party's "Be the Media" campaign:
Hear Jessica's latest radio show: http://ow.ly/d4KvN
Talk to Jessica English on "The Bottom Line" Sundays at 5 pm ET (2 pm PT)
More from Jessica English:
From GOP County Chair to Coffee Party Radio Host and Advocate for the Poor:
Less than a year ago, former Vice President Walter Mondale spoke at my church in Minneapolis, MN. Afterwards, I asked him if Washington was really all about "show me the money," or if he felt that leadership and statesmanship matter more than money.
In his response, he challenged me (and my generation) to overturn the "Citizens United" ruling and re-enact Glass Steagall. After that event, I got more involved in Coffee Party's efforts. I spoke at the Citizen's Intervention rally at the US Capitol along with hundreds of other everyday Americans who, like you, deserve to be at the podium, and to be heard. After the speech, Annabel Park asked me to be a guest on her radio show. I did, and before I knew it, I was hosting the show! I hope you'll join me one of these Sundays (5 pm ET, 2 pm PT).
I love the core values of the Coffee Party and that is why I can't express how happy I am to be your new Volunteer and Membership Coordinator!
I am excited and honored to hang up my Target red & khaki uniform, and my lawn mowing shoes, in order to finally have the chance to put my talents to work for an organization I love. For the past fifteen years I have worked in retail, stocking shelves, and I went back to school, with the aim of pursuing a career that would utilize my talents and feed my family. Though most of my employment was limited to minimum wage jobs, I did serve as a volunteer coordinator for my town's community theater. I also kept myself involved in my community, serving on boards and committees — political, educational, and environmental — and serving in my church.
Fortunately, my volunteer work with the Coffee Party turned into a position where I can use my writing, organizing, fundraising and community building skills to further a movement I believe in wholeheartedly.
With the November election just around the corner, I see the need to grow the Coffee Party movement. I'm concerned about the negative campaign ads being showered upon us by the SuperPACs and the ruthless oligarchs who fund them. To me the solution is clear: We the People need to graduate from being mere consumers of media products, into becoming producers of media products. That's what I do. I'm a media content producer, and I tell you it's so much fun, please join me!
We are welcoming volunteers for our Be the Media campaign who enjoy: sharing articles of interest; writing articles about that highlight the efforts in their hometowns; reporting from rallies; joining our radio team to help the hosts brainstorm topics for the shows, find guests, and produce online content, etc. If you are looking for a way to make a difference, please contact me or fill out our volunteer form. I am also the person to contact with membership questions.
I am ready to pour my heart into this organization because I really believe in it, and, in people like you who make it possible. If it's within your means to do so, please consider becoming a Sustaining Member and give a little bit each month.
Thanks to those who support us financially and by volunteering their expertise.
Standard YouTube License
- 10:06 From GOP Chair to Advocate For the Poorby coffeepartyusa12,206 views
- 2:03 Jessica English thanks Public Citizen's Tyson Slocum for being on "The Bottom Line"by coffeepartyusa497 views
- 16:40 Jeff Andrade Duncan on Education "I teach my neighbors' kids"by coffeepartyusa6,170 views
- 47:54 Flobots Emcee Jonny5 on new album "Circle in the Square"by coffeepartyusa3,606 views
- 8:35 The $35 Computer Raspberry Pi Unboxing, SD Card Setup & 1st Bootby Mike Levin884,072 views
- 3:30 The Truth About GOP Hero Ayn Randby ThinkProgressVideo301,385 views
- 2:23 Paul Ryan Destroys Debbie Wasserman-Schultz in Obamacare Debateby 912erSTL616,675 views
- 10:58 Blueprint for Bulliesby btokars464 views
- 18 videos Play all What's Wrong With Wal-Martby OhioDemocrat
- 2:24:19 The Corporation (completo) (subtítulos en español)by Cheetos256128,964 views
- 2:25:17 The Corporation : The Pathological Pursuit of Profit and Powerby EducateKnowledge17,957 views
- 5:54 Walmart Workers Fighting for Changeby WMTWorkersForChange55,597 views
- 3:18 Ryan Clayton: Amending the Consitution to Fight Money in Politicsby coffeepartyusa181 views
- 8:24 Agricultural Subsidies: Corporate Welfare for Farmersby ReasonTV10,605 views
- 2:24:04 The Corporation - Full Movieby TulsaLiberty24,334 views
- 2:18 Jessica English responds to Affordable Healthcare Ruling by US Supreme Courtby coffeepartyusa1,907 views
- 3:37 One Walmart's Low Wages Could Cost Taxpayers $900,000 Per Year accpording to House Demsby tjwalker1,055 views
- 6:44 Mitt Romney 'Son Of Boss' Adby The Young Turks45,892 views
- 0:34 Minimum Wealth Subsidy is a Sequel to Minimum Wage Subsidyby Larry Chiang5 views
- 15:41 Elizabeth Warren DNC Speech Complete: 'Corporations Are Not People' - Democratic National Conventionby ABC News63,825 views