Text Resizing in Your Browser - A Visual Guide
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Uploaded on Sep 18, 2007
A complete beginner's guide on how to resize text. Please feel free to embed this video on any accessibility statement/help page on your site if it will help your users
Transcript for How to Resize Text video
If you are finding it difficult to read some text when viewing a web site you can resize the text up and down to suit your needs. However, by default web browsers - for example Internet Explorer and Firefox - do not make it obvious that you can do this; effectively they hide these useful controls.
Using Internet Explorer, otherwise known as IE, you can change the font size by selecting the View menu item and then selecting the Text Size option - you have 5 size settings to pick from. This is useful to know and once you select this setting, it is remembered for all web sites that you visit.
A better option is to place a text resize control permanently on your toolbar. To do this, press your right mouse button on the toolbar area to bring up the contextual menu and choose 'Customize'. A list of available toolbar buttons appears on the left. Scroll down to the Text icon and then select 'Add'. You can also change the display of the icons while you're hear, just in case you find the toolbar icons a little small too. Once you hit the close button, you'll see a Text Size control there, making it much easier to change the size.
If you are using IE 7, the process is much the same - right click on the toolbar, but you need to select 'Customize Command Bar' then 'Add or Remove Commands'
In Firefox, you can increase the font size in a similar way to Internet Explorer. Unlike IE, you are not limited to 5 sizes (that being two notches up and two notches down from the default).
Unfortunately Firefox does not provide a toolbar icon for text resizing, even if you choose to customise. However, Patrick Lauke from the University of Salford has created an extension that creates a set of buttons that you can add to your toolbar. Simply go to the Firefox Extensions page and search for the 'Text Size Toolbar', or go to tinyurl.com/2ztudx. Once you've installed the extension and restarted Firefox, right click on your toolbar and choose customise. There you will find the resize buttons which you can drag and drop on to your toolbar.
There are other ways that you can change text size on a web page. If you have a mouse with a scroll wheel, simply hold down the CTRL key - or the command key if you are a Mac user - and move the scroll wheel up and down. For Firefox users, hold down the CTRL key and press the plus (+) and minus (-) keys. Finally, if you are using Internet Explorer 7, you can hold down the CTRL key and press the plus or minus keys which will zoom the whole page in and out of view.
Standard YouTube License
- 5:11 Adjusting screen and font sizes on the Macby CAdvantage2 18,781 views
- 2:33 What is a Browser?by Ji Lee 806,711 views
- 6:11 Eliminar rastros de las paginas que navegamosby ImvoAcevedo 87,894 views
- 1:46 Mac OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard Safari Font Fix - SOLVED!by infoprodux 7,960 views
- 7:21 ZoomText Overview and Feature Setby aisquared 47,373 views
- 2:17 How to resize your browser and make it smaller!by NothingToDoTutorials 1,510 views
- 6:14 Como subir tu pagina web a internetby JPR8018 25,376 views
- 4:42 Professor Megan Conway demonstrates ZoomText.by pacificvoices 22,517 views
- 2:40 How to Change Your Window XP Fonts Sizeby tutorialskingdom 6,066 views
- 2:11 How to Change the Text on Any Websiteby xxgLiTcHmAfIaxx 3,286 views
- 1:30 hotmail - font sizesby SubscribeFloen 1,064 views
- 2:52 Font Size - Chromeby mahalodotcom 3,618 views
- 9:19 why is my screen so hard to see "READ" lesson ?by Tim Weedeman 3,650 views
- 1:10 How To Zoom in Firefoxby Howcast 8,917 views
- 8:23 Remove the Search Bar from IE7 (Internet Explorer 7)by FLPCNERDScom 39,288 views
- 6:22 como subir una pagina web a internet gratis (2013)by naruto6979 3,387 views
- 7:01 Bloquear Paginas Web En Windows 7by TamerLuisMaster 30,793 views
- 4:32 Computer Help - Increase your page file size and virtual memoryby Computerbasics 3,805 views
- 7:53 Paginas para descargar temas de windows 7 y como instalarlosby MaztherPC 560 views
- 3:55 Como Bloquear Paginas WEB (en todos los navegadores)by Mazthertutoriales 3,761 views
- Loading more suggestions...