A Plane You Can Park in the Garage: The ICON A5
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Uploaded on Dec 3, 2009
Complete video at: http://fora.tv/2009/10/01/Kirk_Hawkin...
Steen Strand and Kirk Hawkins, founders of ICON Aircraft, describe the features of their groundbreaking A5 light-sport aircraft. They show video demonstrating the personal aircraft handles more like a Jet Ski than a Cessna.
Kirk and Steen speak to design's power to unleash new markets. They tell the story of how ICON Aircraft set out to maximize the vast potential of the FAA's regulatory changes by creating, for the first time, a recreational powersport for flying.
They discuss the challenges in the development of the ICON A5, an airplane that makes flying more accessible, safer, and more enticing than ever before. - IDEO Know How Talks
Before graduating from Stanford Business School in 2005 and founding ICON, Kirk Hawkins flew F-16s in the U.S. Air Force and 767s for American Airlines. Prior to the USAF, he worked in both aviation and aerospace engineering most of his early career.
After earning his BS in Mechanical Engineering from Clemson University, he was the Director of Engineering at an aerospace contractor before returning for his Masters in Engineering from Stanford University in 1995, specializing in manufacturing.
Steen Strand is a seasoned sports product entrepreneur with 14 years of hands-on operational startup experience. Strand's expertise is in product design, marketing and brand building. Early in his career he worked at IDEO, one of the world's leading design consultancies before founding Freebord, a skateboard company with a global subculture of fanatical riders.
He later served as COO and Director of Product at Secara, a funded healthcare startup. Steen received his MS in Product Design from Stanford University, where he periodically instructs courses in Product Design. Steen's designs have been featured in numerous TV shows, websites and magazines, including Time, Forbes, Newsweek and Wired.
Standard YouTube License
- 14:03ICON Aircraft, ICON A5 spin resistant amphibious light-sport-aircraft.by Light Sport and Ultralight Flyer Featured 30,041
- 15:50Water As Luxury - Bringing Clean Drinking Water to Central Africaby ForaTv14,458 views
- 5:13On Hacking, and How to Hack a Hotel Room - Pablos Holmanby ForaTv199,457 views
- 24 videos Play all Icon A5 - Light Sport Aircraftby tcbfla
- ICON Aircraft 34 videos4K
- 1:26CIA Director: Drone Attacks in Pakistan Will Continueby ForaTv167,738 views
- 3:33Is Obama's Stimulus Creating a False Recovery? - James Matthewsby ForaTv1,674 views
- 14:08ICON A5, from ICON Aircraft, amphibious light sport aircraft.by Light Sport and Ultralight Flyer282,155 views
- 10:02Teenage girl flying her first solo in a Foxbat A22 light aircraftby David Venish37,239 views
- 1:09Flying Carby MrTheLuxuryCar317,418 views
- 5:37Ultimate Flying Machineby WIRED315,597 views
- 5:06M-02J Taxiing test in Fukusima sky park 2010 04 15by kazuhiko hachiya733,280 views
- 2:38Dean of Invention- The Puffin - Personal Flying Machineby PlanetGreenTV535,743 views
- 14:59AIRCRAFT NEAR MISS AND UNUSUAL INCIDENT COMPILATIONby leeveraction3,989,883 views
- 2:55LH-10 Ellipse Airplane: Fast & Fuel Efficientby dsmcompany169,089 views
- 5:13SD-1 Minisport homebuilt ultralight aircraftby sdplanes2,166,364 views
- 0:36switchbladeby Sam Bousfield684,803 views
- 6:35Icon A5 - The Cutting Edge of Light Sport Aircraft.mp4by aerochannel126,007 views
- 11:18Sea-Era experimental seaplane, Arlington Fly-In and Sport Aviation Convention.by Light Sport and Ultralight Flyer118,096 views
- 1:14► Flying Car - Terrafugia TF-X introductionby YouCar2,272,096 views