What We Saw at the Occupy Wall Street Protest
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Uploaded on Oct 7, 2011
Down with banks, student-loan debt, and expensive elections! Up with barter...capitalism...and...Mitt Romney?!?!
On October 4, 2011, Reason.tv visited the Occupy Wall Street protests at Liberty Square in Lower Manhattan, on Day 18 of the ongoing demonstration.
The crowd was relatively small at about 300, and included educated but unemployed workers, college students and recent graduates, homeless drifters, performance artists, 9/11 truthers, and a not-insignificant number of journalists.
The "leaderless" movement is made up of more than a dozen smaller groups, such as the "Information" group with Macbooks hooked up to generators who maintain the "OccupyWallStreet" Twitter feeds and liveblogs, a "People's Library" consisting mostly of donated leftist literature, and a well-stocked kitchen where organic vegetables are sliced for communal salads.
Student loan debt, campaign finance reform, and general anger with the sluggish economy were the more frequent grievances aired, but the demonstrators are hardly monolithic in their passions or opinions. Among the boilerplate anti-capitalist rhetoric included a lifelong Democrat professing his support for Mitt Romney, an unemployed aviation mechanic declaring his continued support of capitalism and disgust at corporate welfare, and a homeless man expressing skepticism that any of the protestors would remain in the park if just "one bad wind" rolled through the area.
Also in the crowd was Republican New York City Councilman Daniel J. Halloran, who took all questions from the assembled crowd, and even won them over after forcefully denouncing taxpayer bailouts of corporations and eminent-domain abuse.
Though the message of Occupy Wall Street is muddled and the future of the protest remains unclear, similar "Occupy" demonstrations are popping up in cities all over the United States, and the quasi-anarchist community residing in Liberty Square shows no signs of relinquishing its post.
Reason recapped the list of demands of the self-professed "99%," which include free college education for all and a minimum wage of $20/hr. Read that at http://bit.ly/pcDOLc
And check out this riveting eyewitness account and analysis from NYC at http://bit.ly/nRR3Wf
About 6 minutes. Produced by Anthony L. Fisher, camera by Nathan Chaffetz.
Go to http://Reason.tv for downloadable versions, and subscribe to Reason.tv's YouTube Channel to receive notifications when new material goes live.
Standard YouTube License
- 1:48:29 Peter Schiff educates misguided people at occupy wall street.by us chronicleFeatured 4,775
- 3:52 Dumb Liberal Hippies Don't Know Why They're Protestingby revolutionactivist 387,487 views
- 12:55 Former Soviet Citizen Confronts Socialists at Occupy Wall Street (Part 3)by Vladimir Jaffe 220,964 views
- 10:26 Cornel West | Occupy Wall Street Debate | Oxford Unionby OxfordUnion 19,021 views
- 8:26 The Government's War on Cameras!by ReasonTV 176,832 views
- 3:17 '1%' CEO Confronts Occupy Protesters mrcTVby wideawake123 177,348 views
- 6:04 Why America Should Default and You Should Live Abroad: Q&A with Doug Caseyby ReasonTV 20,533 views
- 5:40 D17: Take Back the Commons | Occupy Wall Street Videoby OccupyTVNY 34,334 views
- 13:26 Mainstream ignores Occupy Wall Streetby RTAmerica 22,160 views
- 25 videos Play all Occupy Wall Street 01by KathleenSwets
- 5:42 99% v 1%: the data behind the Occupy movement - animationby TheGuardian 44,995 views
- 6:18 Occupy Wall Street protests spread all over US despite police brutality & corporate media blackoutby ProtectSouthOssetia 37,510 views
- 20:23 Abandoned in Guatemala: The Failure of International Adoption Policiesby ReasonTV 46,655 views
- Occupy Wall Street 46,618 videos840
- 5:11 An Open Message to the 99% (Occupy Wall Street)by StormCloudsGathering 128,734 views
- 10:01 'The Sky's The Limit' A interview with Naomi Klein on Occupy Wall Streetby PlanetProtest 6,444 views
- 4:01 A Day in the Life of an Occupy Wall St. Participantby mattwillwork 830,077 views
- 0:43 Occupy Wall Street: The Lego Setby slatester 181,393 views
- 9:50 Battle for the California Desert: Why is the Government Driving Folks off Their Land?by ReasonTV 272,560 views
- 1:48:29 Peter Schiff at Occupy Wall Street: Full Version, Almost 2 Hours Long!by ReasonTV 132,386 views
- 2:56 Occupy Wall Street Protestsby Pi . 503,027 views
- 8:26 Consensus (Direct Democracy @ Occupy Wall Street)by meerkatmedia 119,604 views
- Loading more suggestions...