What We Saw at the Occupy Wall Street Protest
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Uploaded on Oct 7, 2011
Down with banks, student-loan debt, and expensive elections! Up with barter...capitalism...and...Mitt Romney?!?!
On October 4, 2011, Reason.tv visited the Occupy Wall Street protests at Liberty Square in Lower Manhattan, on Day 18 of the ongoing demonstration.
The crowd was relatively small at about 300, and included educated but unemployed workers, college students and recent graduates, homeless drifters, performance artists, 9/11 truthers, and a not-insignificant number of journalists.
The "leaderless" movement is made up of more than a dozen smaller groups, such as the "Information" group with Macbooks hooked up to generators who maintain the "OccupyWallStreet" Twitter feeds and liveblogs, a "People's Library" consisting mostly of donated leftist literature, and a well-stocked kitchen where organic vegetables are sliced for communal salads.
Student loan debt, campaign finance reform, and general anger with the sluggish economy were the more frequent grievances aired, but the demonstrators are hardly monolithic in their passions or opinions. Among the boilerplate anti-capitalist rhetoric included a lifelong Democrat professing his support for Mitt Romney, an unemployed aviation mechanic declaring his continued support of capitalism and disgust at corporate welfare, and a homeless man expressing skepticism that any of the protestors would remain in the park if just "one bad wind" rolled through the area.
Also in the crowd was Republican New York City Councilman Daniel J. Halloran, who took all questions from the assembled crowd, and even won them over after forcefully denouncing taxpayer bailouts of corporations and eminent-domain abuse.
Though the message of Occupy Wall Street is muddled and the future of the protest remains unclear, similar "Occupy" demonstrations are popping up in cities all over the United States, and the quasi-anarchist community residing in Liberty Square shows no signs of relinquishing its post.
Reason recapped the list of demands of the self-professed "99%," which include free college education for all and a minimum wage of $20/hr. Read that at http://bit.ly/pcDOLc
And check out this riveting eyewitness account and analysis from NYC at http://bit.ly/nRR3Wf
About 6 minutes. Produced by Anthony L. Fisher, camera by Nathan Chaffetz.
Go to http://Reason.tv for downloadable versions, and subscribe to Reason.tv's YouTube Channel to receive notifications when new material goes live.
Standard YouTube License
- 1:48:29 Peter Schiff educates misguided people at occupy wall street.by us chronicleFeatured 5,073
- 2:56 Occupy Wall Street Protestsby Pi . 503,060 views
- 1:47 20,000 Protestors To Occupy Wall St.by mahalodotcom 362,327 views
- 1:28 Faceoff at 55 Wall St.by strugglevideomedia 296,853 views
- 3:52 Dumb Liberal Hippies Don't Know Why They're Protestingby The Republican Revolution 391,254 views
- 3:17 '1%' CEO Confronts Occupy Protesters mrcTVby http://www.crusader18.blogspot.com/ 177,793 views
- 18:46 Peter Schiff Speaks for 1 Percent at Occupy Wall Streetby ReasonTV 451,747 views
- 1:31 What Is Occupy Wall Street About?by OccupyAnimator 60,209 views
- 10:26 Cornel West | Occupy Wall Street Debate | Oxford Unionby Oxford Union 19,219 views
- 25 videos Play all Occupy Wall Street 01by KathleenSwets
- 5:42 99% v 1%: the data behind the Occupy movement - animationby TheGuardian 45,022 views
- 4:01 A Day in the Life of an Occupy Wall St. Participantby mattwillwork 830,146 views
- 1:48:29 Peter Schiff at Occupy Wall Street: Full Version, Almost 2 Hours Long!by ReasonTV 132,891 views
- Occupy Wall Street 46,618 videos840
- 0:43 Occupy Wall Street: The Lego Setby slatester 181,393 views
- 12:55 Former Soviet Citizen Confronts Socialists at Occupy Wall Street (Part 3)by Vladimir Jaffe 221,380 views
- 10:01 'The Sky's The Limit' A interview with Naomi Klein on Occupy Wall Streetby PlanetProtest's channel 6,543 views
- 3:52 How 'Pro-Choice' are Democrats?by ReasonTV 284,908 views
- 5:11 An Open Message to the 99% (Occupy Wall Street)by StormCloudsGathering 128,846 views
- 1:26 Noam Chomsky on Occupy Boston 9/30/2011by A Life of Dissent 68,280 views
- 3:33 3 Reasons We Shouldn't Bail Out Student Loan Borrowersby ReasonTV 56,940 views
- 1:07 occupy boston paul revere speaks outby lookwhostalking99 412 views
- Loading more suggestions...