Published on Apr 2, 2013
Get a "Save the River" commemorative license plate.
• In 2010, the District Department of the Environment (DDOE) partnered with the District Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV) to create a commemorative "Save the River" license plate.
• The plate features silhouettes of two kayakers enjoying boating along the Anacostia River and bears the letters "ENV" for environment.
• The "Save the River" commemorative license plate is the only special environmental tag sold at the DMV.
• To purchase a Save the Rive commemorative license plate, there is a one-time fee of $25 and an annual display fee of just $10 (which is in addition to any regular registration fee).
• After the costs of making the plates are covered, additional funds go towards DDOE's efforts to restore and protect the Anacostia River.
• These funds are used to implement watershed education programs, stream restoration and trash retention projects, and to purchase and distribute reusable bags.
• Specifically, funds go towards supporting programs such as RiverSmart Homes. This program offers technical and financial assistance to District homeowners that wish to control the amount of stormwater pollution leaving their properties.
• Funds from the "Save the River" commemorative license plate also go towards installing trash traps in District streams and tributaries. These trash traps help capture litter before it enters our rivers.
• Another example of how funds from the sales of license plates help our waterways, is the funding of the Living Classrooms of the National Capital Region (LC-NCR) program. This program engages third, fourth and fifth grade classes in hands-on, educational experiences, linking the students to the Potomac River, Anacostia River and Chesapeake Bay watersheds.
• By purchasing a plate, you'll not only help fund programs that help restore District waterways, but you'll also show your fellow drivers that you care about clean waterways and help to raise awareness about the health of the District's water bodies.
• Consider purchasing a "Save the River" plate today!