This video is unavailable.
EnergySmart Home Scale (E-Scale)
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Uploaded on Oct 21, 2009
The E-Scale is an easy-to-understand tool that helps homebuyers and homeowners make smart energy decisions when purchasing, renting, or updating a home. It is designed to provide clear, objective answers to basic questions:
- Will this home help me save money on energy bills?
- How many "miles per gallon" does this home get?
- How does it compare to a typical new home?
- How close is it to the "ultimate" a Net-Zero Energy Home?
The E-Scale was created for the U.S. Department of Energy's Building America Builders Challenge, which encourages and supports builders to build extremely high performance homes, with the goal of creating cost-neutral net-zero energy homes for all Americans.
A 70 on the E-Scale (the energy requirement to qualify for the Builders Challenge) indicates that a home is approximately 30% more energy efficient than a typical new home built to code. A 60 on the E-Scale would be 40% more energy efficient. The ultimate goal is to get to 0 a Net-Zero Energy Home.
Builders participating in the Builders Challenge may place the E-Scale on or near the home's electric panel to show potential homeowners the energy performance achieved by that particular home or model.
The E-Scale is based on the well established Home Energy Rating System (HERS) Index, developed by RESNET, the Residential Energy Services Network. The energy rating for the home will be conducted by RESNET-certified energy raters for the performance pathway. RESNET has an established system for quality assurance for raters as well as providers (who oversee the raters). For more information, see the National Home Energy Rating Standards. This is the same system that underlies the Energy Star homes program. The Builders Challenge also requires that builders meet a set of quality criteria to ensure occupant health, safety, comfort, and building durability.
For more information about the E-Scale, or the Builders Challenge, visit www.buildingamerica.gov/challenge
Standard YouTube License
- 10:00 Zero Energy Homeby IBMSocialMedia 41,542 views
- 2:12 Zero Energy Homeby zeroenergybuilder 32,844 views
- 6:37 Watch a Professional Home Energy Audit on GLTV - By Pro Energy Consultantsby ProEnergyConsultants 11,945 views
- 4:48 Learn about RESNET HERS Rater Training and Certificationby EverblueTraining 2,951 views
- 4:13 Home Energy Audit Overview -GreenHomes Americaby GreenHomesAmerica 6,596 views
- 3:14 110-year-old Net Zero Energy Historic Renovation: Preserving History - Protecting Our Futureby GreenovationTV 22,034 views
- 3:06 Home Performance with ENERGY STAR Energy Evaluationby belowsme1234 11,306 views
- 3:53 Zero Energy Home Sungalow Part 1by PamojaCommunications 2,109 views
- 9:49 Right Vs Wrong: Installing Insulation Batts In Exterior Walls - Part Oneby IDI Distributors 59,303 views
- 9:44 Meeting the Green Challenge - Net Zero Houses and Net Meteringby dgbyd 1,904 views
- 8:47 The Future Of Residential Housing - Zero Energy Housingby ViridianForce 175,323 views
- 3:13 A Truly Green Net-Zero Energy Homeby BuildSustainablyCom 9,468 views
- 4:17 Understanding the LEED Rating System for Green Homesby Danny Lipford 702 views
- 1:33:53 The house of the futureby BerkeleyLab 9,376 views
- 3:10 U.S. Department of Energy's Builders Challengeby builderschallenge 694 views
- 4:38 Living Tomorrow: house of the futureby Wannahaves 1,481,630 views
- 4:37 Beazer Homes Smart Designby Rick Lockridge 3,823 views
- 9:46 WxTV Ep 1 "The World of Weatherization" (part 2)by TheWXTV 430 views
- 2:53 Blower Door and Infrared Camera Demonstrationby National Association for State Community Services 35,297 views
- 2:55 Heat Pumps: World's First LEED Net Zero Home - buildaroo.comby buildaroo 4,756 views
- Loading more suggestions...