Julian Assange | Sam Adams Awards | Oxford Union
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Published on Jan 25, 2013
Julian Assange gives his address live via Videolink to the Oxford Union Society.
SUBSCRIBE for more speakers ► http://is.gd/OxfordUnion
Facebook @ http://fb.me/theoxfordunion
Twitter @ http://www.twitter.com/OxfordUnion
Oxford Union Website @ http://www.oxford-union.org/
Julian Assange begins his address by saying that in 2007-08 he was looking at what was happening in Iran. He says that a lot of people did good work, especially Thomas Fingar in:
Trying to correct the movement towards war with Iran based on lies.
He says one of the worst modern deceptions of the western world happened only in 2003 where we went to war with Iraq based on lies where over 100, 000 people were killed and millions of Iraqi refugees displaced as a result.
In 2008 WikiLeaks published Iraq's classified rules of engagement for the US army. In those rules there was a section that permitted a border skirmish to start up that allowed US troops to go into Iran under a variety of circumstances. Because of the leak Iran held a press conference saying that in no way are the US allowed into their territory. After this a second rules of engagement was published omitting the border skirmish. Between 20% and 50% of all wars have started as a result of these border skirmishes. 45 hostile military bases surrounds Iran's borders, because of this there is a constant fear of being invaded making for a very tense atmosphere in the country.
He makes the point that WikiLeaks is not against intelligence agencies but mentions that corruption within intelligence agencies is born out of secrecy.
Intelligence analysts mustn't be held responsible to the public through cultural bias but must be responsible to historical record.
He mentions the WikiLeaks movie saying that it's a mass propaganda attack against the WikiLeaks organisation, also it fans the flames for war on Iran as is demonstrated in the opening scene of the film that is read out by Assange who has the script. The movie shows Iran as having an active nuclear program when intelligence reports have revealed in high confidence that this is not the case.
Filmed on Wednesday 23rd January 2013
ABOUT JULIAN ASSANGE:
Known worldwide as the founder and public face of WikiLeaks, Julian Assange has made headlines across the world by exposing government misconduct. He has championed the principle of freedom of information, yet some have criticised his activities as reckless and dangerous. Under Assange's leadership, WikiLeaks has published innumerable classified diplomatic cables and played a crucial role in shaping the international political landscape. He is currently living as a fugitive in the Ecuadorian Embassy in London
ABOUT THE OXFORD UNION SOCIETY:
The Union is the world's most prestigious debating society, with an unparalleled reputation for bringing international guests and speakers to Oxford. It has been established for 189 years, aiming to promote debate and discussion not just in Oxford University, but across the globe.
Standard YouTube License
- 1:21:06 The Julian Assange Show: Cypherpunks Uncut (p.1)by RT Featured 43,983
- 7:47 Julian Assange | George Galloway | Oxford Unionby OxfordUnion37,342 views
- 26:58 George Galloway | Full Address | Oxford Unionby OxfordUnion37,087 views
- 16:04 Dr Michael Shermer | God does NOT existby OxfordUnion53,754 views
- 7:08 Iran | George Galloway | Oxford Unionby OxfordUnion27,712 views
- 1:56:37 WikiLeaks : LEAKED - U.N. Briefing On Alien God Arrivalby EmpiricalData757,436 views
- 2:21 George Galloway Accused of Being a Racist by Israeli Student | Oxford Unionby OxfordUnion44,482 views
- 13:12 Julian Assange on Bill Maherby kingflurkel158,619 views
- 6:11 Fifth Estate Revealed! | Julian Assange | Oxford Unionby OxfordUnion7,027 views
- 59:29 BBC - WikiLeaks: The Secret Life of a Superpower (Ep. 1)by mmcetera1,066,004 views
- 13:03 JULIAN ASSANGE vs ERIN BURNETTby MOXNEWSd0tC0M82,957 views
- 50:55 The Wikileaks Documentary -- Full Versionby seattle4truth752,945 views
- 12:38 Linda Yeuh | The 21st Century Belongs To Chinaby OxfordUnion3,094 views
- 36:52 Sir Patrick Stewart | Full Address | Oxford Unionby OxfordUnion9,193 views
- 28:01 Julian Assange's The World Tomorrow: Slavoj Zizek & David Horowitz (E2)by RT276,430 views
- 10:26 Cornel West | Occupy Wall Street Debate | Oxford Unionby OxfordUnion30,506 views
- 30:39 Thomas Fingar | Sam Adams Awards | Oxford Unionby OxfordUnion748 views
- 8:01 Palestine and Al Qaeda | George Galloway | Oxford Unionby OxfordUnion26,422 views
- 13:49 Mehdi Hasan | Islam Is A Peaceful Religion | Oxford Unionby OxfordUnion1,131,009 views
- 12:56 (FULL/UNEDITED) Julian Assange Christmas Address from Ecuador Embassy in Londonby LeakSourceTV10,810 views
- Loading more suggestions...