Off-grid float cabin: retirement tiny dream home in BC wilderness
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Published on Jul 2, 2012
Margy and Wayne Lutz were camping in Coastal British Columbia when they discovered their dream home: the float cabins of Powell Lake. They're not houseboats, but "float cabins", that is, they're permanently anchored to shore.
Float cabins were first built on Powell Lake as inexpensive and portable homes for loggers and fishermen. Since then they've become regulated and the 200 float cabin owners here these days lease their water lots from the BC government for $500 per year.
The Lutz's bought their retirement home in 2001 for 35,000 Canadian dollars (about $25,000 USD, at the time), what they considered worth the risk if their experiment in off-grid living didn't workout.
A few years later they retired early from their school district jobs in Los Angeles, anxious to start living their dream, and moved into their small (420 square feet, plus a 200-square-foot sleeping loft) floating home. At the time it didn't have indoor plumbing so they hiked 4 flights of stairs up the granite cliff to an outhouse (they've since installed a composting toilet indoors).
Today, the Lutzs live completely off-the-grid. There's no water heater (they boil it on the wood stove as a luxury) and no plumbing. They hand-pump water from the lake (for washing dishes, they remove most food first and use only biodegradable soap and the water is returned to the lake).
There's no trash pickup. They compost nearly everything. For their energy uses, the Lutzs rely on solar, wind, and thermoelectric power. For heat, they rely on a wood stove (fueled mostly with driftwood) that has been rigged with an experimental thermoelectric system generating a trickle charge to their batteries.
Their buoyant home doesn't make gardening easy, but Margy has found a way to provide much of the summertime produce. In addition to a hillside potato garden, she created a floating vegetable garden.
More info on original story: http://faircompanies.com/videos/view/...
The Lutzs' blog: http://powellriverbooks.blogspot.com.es/
"Coastal British Columbia Stories" by Wayne Lutz: http://www.powellriverbooks.com/
Standard YouTube License
- 17:56 Debt-free boat tiny home for family of 3 on Portland islandby Kirsten Dirksen Featured 64,616
- 9:50 Heating Seattle backyard studio with soda cans as solar panelsby Kirsten Dirksen145,440 views
- 10:41 Mortgage-free, tiny home on a housekeeper's salaryby Kirsten Dirksen374,901 views
- 16:08 Abandoned stable becomes off-grid, luxurious family dream homeby Kirsten Dirksen475,727 views
- 14:11 Doug Getgood - A Year in the Northern Wildernessby sitwcanada94,378 views
- 5:37 A Zeer Pot - Off Grid Refrigerationby CrypticCRICKET168,091 views
- 18:13 School bus becomes off-grid, transformable, tiny homeby Kirsten Dirksen637,102 views
- 9:44 Solar System for a Small Log Cabin.wmvby TheNorthwoodsman1117,904 views
- 6:46 Thoreauvian simple living: unelectrified, timeless tiny homeby Kirsten Dirksen299,834 views
- 8:40 Tiny Homes: Mortgage-Free And NO Utility Bills - Off The Grid, Self Sufficient Living!by athatcher85152,584 views
- 12:30 Micro-tiny homes as freedom from codes & loansby Kirsten Dirksen404,271 views
- 3:51 2013 BEST SMALL HOME - Fine Homebuilding HOUSES Awardsby finehomebuilding382,709 views
- 19:44 Off Grid Cabin 12 Volt Appliancesby solarcabin115,545 views
- 11:19 Frodo's simple living: Hobbit Holes for tiny homes & shedworkingby Kirsten Dirksen228,285 views
- 9:17 Late Winter Camping: 1 dumb mistake & 1 good habitby PineMartyn26,348 views
- 9:41 SKS RIFLE - THE BEST KEPT SECRETby Armed Defender Videos352,265 views
- 7:25 Conjoined Twins: Twin Girls, A Medical Wonderby ABC News7,144,652 views
- 1:00:27 Off the Grid - Documentary 2012 Dutch subs.flvby Gozo Green Hope181,693 views
- 8:08 Keith Thompson: Totally Off The Gridby RyanIsHungry349,860 views
- 11:04 Vehicles as housing: 27-sq-ft bike home + rowboat shelterby Kirsten Dirksen127,597 views
- Loading more suggestions...