Adafruit Internet of Things - TI CC3000 series
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Published on Oct 17, 2013
For years we've seen all sorts of microcontroller-friendly WiFi modules but none of them were really Adafruit-worthy. Either they were too slow, or too difficult to use, or required signing an NDA, or had limited functionality, or too expensive, or too large. So we shied away from carrying any general purpose microcontroller-friendly WiFi boards.
The CC3000 hits that sweet spot of usability, price and capability. It uses SPI for communication (not UART!) so you can push data as fast as you want or as slow as you want. It has a proper interrupt system with IRQ pin so you can have asynchronous connections. It supports 802.11b/g, open/WEP/WPA/WPA2 security, TKIP & AES. A built in TCP/IP stack with a "BSD socket" interface. TCP and UDP in both client and server mode, up to 4 concurrent sockets. It does not support "AP" mode, it can connect to an access point but it cannot be an access point.
We wrapped this little silver modules in a tidy breakout board. It has an onboard 3.3V regulator that can handle the 350mA peak current, and a level shifter to allow 3 or 5V logic level. The antenna layout is identical to TI's suggested layout and we're using the same components, trace arrangement, and antenna so the board maintains its FCC emitter compliance (you'll still need to perform FCC validation for a finished product, but the WiFi part is taken care of). Even though it's got an onboard antenna we were pretty surprised at the range, as good as a smartphone's.
Each order comes with one fully assembled and tested breakout and a small stick of header you can use to solder in and plug into a breadboard. We don't have a detailed tutorial yet but to get you started, we've got a fully working Arduino library that is based off of TI's codebase but adapted for use with the AVR. We also have example code showing how to scan the SSID's, connect to your access point and run DHCP, do a DNS lookup to IP address, ping a site and connect to a remote TCP socket such as a website and print out the page.
Subscribe to Adafruit on YouTube: http://adafru.it/subscribe
Join our weekly Show & Tell on G+ Hangouts On Air: http://adafru.it/showtell
Watch our latest project videos: http://adafru.it/latest
New tutorials on the Adafruit Learning System: http://learn.adafruit.com/
Music by bartlebeats: http://soundcloud.com/bartlebeats
Video by Andrew Baker: http://www.airfieldfilms.com
Standard YouTube License
- 1:11:50 Daily Blob - Oct 16, 2013 - How the NSA TOR Hack Workedby Eli the Computer Guy Featured
- 15:06 PCB Ruler & More! New Products 10/12/2013by Adafruit Industries4,816 views
- 10:53 New Products 10/5/2013by Adafruit Industries8,530 views
- 1:01:42 ASK AN ENGINEER! LIVE on YouTube! 10/12/13by Adafruit Industries2,060 views
- 2:06 Adafruit's BLUEFRUIT - Easy Bluetooth for makers!by Adafruit Industries7,091 views
- 10:08 Monitor your home remotely using the Arduino WiFi Shieldby Open Home Automation21,055 views
- 4:55 How Its Made - Rubber Bandsby 1001HowItsMade13,411 views
- 41:43 Brian Ford: Is Node.js Better?by JSConf16,616 views
- 30:37 Tested In-Depth: Getting Started with Arduinoby Tested96,638 views
- 10:04 Everything You Need To Know About Arduinoby The Ben Heck Show258,990 views
- 11:23 Arduino Servo Tutorial 1 of 2by John NYCCNC164,324 views
- 37:26 Arduino Tutorial #1 - Getting Started and Connected!by mjlorton105,223 views
- 27:14 EEVblog #180 - Soldering Tutorial Part 1 - Toolsby EEVblog222,667 views
- 6:32 TI CC3000 Out-of-Box Demo Applicationby Kenneth Finnegan2,286 views
- 3:42 How-To: Shrinkify Your Arduino Projectsby MAKE526,914 views
- 2:14 Internet of Thingsby deusto33,625 views
- 16:46 CC3000 TI module enabled by SmartConfigby Texas Instruments532 views
- 2:01 LED Strip Arduino Wiringby NUIM Makers Club7,873 views
- 5:45 Arduino Quadcopter - Phase 2 (Mobile Control)by Kyle Fieldus122,103 views
- 2:50 Meet Limor "ladyada" Fried at Adafruit Industries!by Adafruit Industries66,781 views
- Loading more suggestions...