This video is unavailable.
Virginia Hawkins Falls
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Uploaded on Jul 16, 2011
Directions - If you are coming from the NC side, take Hwy 178 south from Hwy 64 in Rosman to the South Carolina state line. From there, drive a little under 2.5 miles to a right hand "Y" type turn on to the gravel Horsepasture Rd (the upper road when you make the turn. If you are coming from south, the left hand turn on to Horsepasture Rd is about 8 miles north of Hwy 11 off of Hwy 178. The parking area is about 3.2 miles up Horsepasture Rd at Laurel Gap.
The first part of Horsepasture Rd can be a little rough on a passenger vehicle, but it gets better. Still, it's a forest road, narrow in places, and you should drive slowly in case you meet a vehicle coming from the opposite direction. You will almost immediately pass a parking area on the left for access to the Foothills Trail.. If you want to make the hike to the waterfall a 10 mile round trip hike, park here and follow the Foothills Trail west for 4.7 miles. I haven't done it, so I can't comment on the difficulty, but I'm sure you'll see some nice scenery along the way. Virginia Hawkins Falls will be on the left - you can't miss it. If you want the hike to be a 2 mile round trip, continue driving on Horsepasture Rd to Laurel Gap, passing Eastatoe Creek Heritage Preserve which is also a very nice hike. You'll know you've reached Laurel Gap when the road forks. The left fork is the parking area and dead ends after a short distance. Pull in here and park. Horsepasture Rd is the right fork and continues up and a green gated road turns to the right. The trail to the waterfall begins up here. Horsepasture Rd is green gated beyond this point. Green gates are open to the public at certain times of the year. Jumping Off Rock is another 6 miles up Horsepasture Rd and offers an excellent view of part of Lake Jocassee. From parking area, walk back out to Horsepasture Road and take a left up the hill. You'll come to another fork with Horsepasture Road going left if not green gated and another road going right. Walk straight to the Laurel Forks Heritage Reserve sign. Then walk onto little connector trail immediately beside the right side of the sign. Go down connector to Laurel Forks Creek road and take a right onto the road. Follow this road down and around for about a mile to Laurel Fork Creek. Just before you reach the creek will be primitive camping on the right in the trees. Head into the camp site and take the bridge on the right across Laurel Fork Creek. Walk up the Foothills Trail for a very short distance to the waterfall on the right. It's probably best to see this waterfall after some decent rainfall like in the video.
Standard YouTube License
- 22:26 Virginia Highlands Camping Tripby DarylCincy DW's Southern Cooking 2,286 views
- 9:49 Graveyard Dive @ Lake Jocassee Bobby and The Boysby Dee Shew 4,137 views
- 8:22 Lake Jocassee Historyby SCNaturalResources 7,836 views
- 10:51 ULJC-Horse Pasture 3-31-12by gdrce 251 views
- 9:29 History of Lake Keowee in South Carolinaby ClientVideos45 11,469 views
- 5:29 Welcome to New River Campground!by newrivercampground 4,091 views
- 16:14 Gorges State Park 10.1-10.2.2011 part 1by jmcwatty178 746 views
- 5:06 Kayak camping Multi-day trip Philpott Lake Virginiaby 01Conductor 4,842 views
- 10:08 Camping Shenandoah National Park - GoPro HDby Thy Nguyen 1,639 views
- 2:52 Caboose Camping Adventure in Durbin, West Virginiaby WVisCalling 8,596 views
- 4:32 Family Camping Trip to Blackwater Falls, West Virginiaby Cvillemac 1,571 views
- 6:27 Automated Parking -- a PTV Vissim traffic simulationby ptvvision 137,864 views
- 2:47 AJTR Horse Pasture Trailby Kevin Mcgrey 1,593 views
- 5:12 Horsepasture Riverby GAkayaker12234 285 views
- 4:05 Laurel Fork Falls, Foothills Trail SCby hikerninja 1,017 views
- 9:29 Trout Fishing The Horsepasture River November 2010.wmvby troutuprof 895 views
- 3:41 Wandering Virginia: Hungry Mother State Parkby Lawrence DiVizio 42 views
- 10:26 Gorges State Park 10.1-10.2.2011 Part 2by jmcwatty178 271 views
- 4:30 Lake Jocassee Scuba Divingby David Grubbs 3,389 views
- 4:48 Camp Creek State Park, West Virginia Campsite Photosby campsitephotosdotcom 726 views
- Loading more suggestions...