How to strengthen your knees and treat knee pain
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Uploaded on Mar 7, 2010
Physical Therapist, Clinical Ayurveda Herbalist and Exercise Science Specialist
Hey everyone, so here's a video on knee strengthening exercises in non-weight bearing. I am a firm believer in letting the body do its job and giving it the right environment to heal. I find most of the time people don't listen to their body or let it do it's job. It will heal itself, you just have to let it.
So I firmly believe that it is important to start with non-weight bearing exercises when recovering from a knee injury or surgery. The knee is a weight bearing joint and it doesn't like to be loaded or compressed when injured. So I tell my patient to first focus on strength and flexibility exercises in sitting or laying down. Once the joint can tolerate more standing and walking, swelling is down, strength is better, they can start exercises in standing.
I am going to go over some basic yet powerful knee strengthening exercises in this video. I am focusing on strengthening above and below the joint. Main focus is on quadriceps, hamstrings and glutes.
Strengthen Quadriceps by quad squeeze, knee extensions and quad leg lifts.
Strengthen Hamstrings by bridging on exercise ball and hip extensions.
Strengthen Gluteal muscles by bridging, hip extension and hip abduction
Regular massage of the joint with Mahanarayan oil or warm sesame oil for pain, improving circulation and lymphatic flow. Also helps clean out metabolic byproducts formed following injury.
Herbal Supplements for healing knee:
Oral herbal supplements like Yograj Guggulu, Kaishore Guggulu, Punarnavadi Guggulu, Ashwagandha, Musta, Boswellia, Shilajit are also very helpful for healing the joint.
Hope you enjoyed the video. Don't forget to leave a comment or question.
Follow Me On Facebook
Follow Me On Twitter
Share the video if you found this info helpful.
Manu Kalia Youtube Channel: http://www.youtube.com/ayurvedichealing
REMEMBER: Please subscribe to my channel to stay up to date and get more of these tips on natural health and fitness.
This video is for educational purposes only. Please consult with you physician, physical therapist or health practitioner before starting any exercise program or trying any of the herbal therapies/recommendations mentioned in this video.
Standard YouTube License
- 10:04 How To Get Flat Abs (weird exercise that works!)by strengthcamp Featured 828,860
- 7:18 Tai Chi HowTo: Quick & Easy Way to Treat Knee Pain or Stiffness - from www.InternalGardens.comby Internal Gardens Tai Chi46,002 views
- 7:50 Injury Prevention: 6 Moves to Protect Your Kneesby MTSRyanHall63,174 views
- 3:09 Knee Pain Treatmentby FreeSpinalExam51,514 views
- 5:22 Knee Exercises to Strenghen Muscles around the Patella to Avoid Knee Painby Centerworks Pilates974,280 views
- 4:04 Knee Massage: Do It while You View It by Rich Poley572,698 views
- 7:55 How to treat knee pain - Treat knee pain permanentlyby Manu Kalia37,476 views
- 7:10 Knee Pain Stretches & Exercises - Ask Doctor Joby AskDoctorJo97,317 views
- 5:05 Knee Pain Treatment Patellar Tendonitis Massageby Manu Kalia129,428 views
- 5:00 Easy Exercises for Knee Pain.wmvby PrimeofLifeFitness186,082 views
- 30 videos Play all Knee rehabilitationby Paskov85
- 6:10 Lower back pain exercises for core stabilization and preventing lower back painby Manu Kalia26,765 views
- Mike Chang's Six Pack Shortcuts 248 videos2M
- 6:21 Knee Strengthening Exercises & Stretches - Ask Doctor Joby AskDoctorJo22,672 views
- 9:18 3 Best Exercises for: Chondromalacia Patella & Patellofemural Pain (Knee Pain)by Todd Durkin141,473 views
- 4:42 Knee Pain , common causes- Everything You Need To Know - Dr. Nabil Ebraheimby nabil ebraheim210,114 views
- 8:59 Reduce Knee Pain With These Exercises! (Part 1 of 2)by Mercola263,031 views
- 5:01 Knee Strengthening Exercisesby NoLimitAthlete67,064 views
- 4:53 Best Knee Pain Exerciseby PhysicalTherapyTV297,612 views
- 2:12 How to Strengthen Your Kneesby Howcast431,003 views