This video is unavailable.
(4of5) The Machine that Changed the World: The Thinking Machine. 1992 Documentary
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Uploaded on Jan 14, 2011
(4of5) The Machine That Changed the World: The Thinking Machine. (1992) (Documentary)
The Machine That Changed the World is the longest, most comprehensive documentary about the history of computing ever produced, but since its release in 1992, it's become virtually extinct. Out of print and never released online, the only remaining copies are VHS tapes floating around school libraries or in the homes of fans who dubbed the original shows when they aired.
The history of artificial intelligence, from Minsky to neural networks.
The fourth episode of The Machine That Changed the World covers the history of artificial intelligence and the challenges that come from trying to teach computers to think and learn like us.
Jerome B. Wiesner, Marvin Minsky, John McCarthy, Oliver Selfridge of Lincoln Labs, Claude Shannon, Freddy Robot at the University of Edinburgh, Sir James Lighthill, Terry Winograd's SHRDLU, Edward Feigenbaum's work on expert systems, Doug Lenat's Cyc project, Oliver Sacks, neural networks, NETtalk
Marvin Minsky (MIT), Hubert Dreyfus (UC Berkeley), Edward Feigenbaum (Stanford University), Hans Moravec (Carnegie Mellon Robotics Institute), Doug Lenat (University of Texas, Austin), Dean Pomerleau (Carnegie Mellon Robotics Institute), Terrence Sejnowski (Salk Institute)
Watch Part (1of5)
Watch Part (2of5)
Inventing the Future
Watch Part (3of5)
The Paperback Computer
Watch Part (5of5)
The World at Your Fingertips
Standard YouTube License
- 46:11 The Day We Learned To Think (Documentary)by EducationalChanneIFeatured 106,063
- 56:53 (5of5) The Machine that Changed the World: The World at Your Fingertips. 1992 Documentaryby TTVRewind 21,319 views
- 55:41 (1of5) The Machine that Changed the World: Giant Brains. 1992 Documentaryby TTVRewind 111,928 views
- 58:29 The Age of Transitions (full length documentary)by Aaron Franz 317,849 views
- 50:13 (1of3) Triumph of the Nerds: Impressing Their Friends. 1996 Documentaryby TTVRewind 171,110 views
- 34:16 50 Renowned Academics Speaking About Godby LibertarianSara 12,217 views
- 26:05 Hackers & Phreakers (Walk on the Wildside ~ Channel 4)by djhailon 28,087 views
- 1:06:38 Polyworld: Using Evolution to Design Artificial Intelligenceby GoogleTechTalks 117,344 views
- 57:29 (2of5) The Machine that Changed the World: Inventing the Future. 1992 Documentaryby TTVRewind 43,053 views
- 53:21 Dr. Eric Horvitz and Dr. Peter Norvig: The Challenge and Promise of Artificial Intelligenceby ComputerHistory 2,971 views
- 28:26 The Strange Life and Death of Dr Turing - Part 1 of 2by Christopher Sykes 35,750 views
- 1:12 Marvin Minsky - Making the most useless machine [video]by webofstories 5,889 views
- 1:17:40 The Challenge and Promise of Artificial Intelligence, a Bay Area Science Festival Wonder Dialogby ComputerHistory 10,513 views
- 1:30:17 David Dalrymple guest lectures in Marvin Minsky's classby davidadMIT 4,951 views
- 8:17 The Hard Problem of AI: Selection from Matrix Science Documentary Part 1 of 2by LogosSteve 10,067 views
- 7:49 Intro to Neural Networksby Jesus Suarez 69,911 views
- 43:54 How to Hack a Web Site - Dr. Susan Loveland - Lunchtime Talks in Science and Mathematicsby AdamsState 611,676 views
- 59:23 The Next Generation of Neural Networksby GoogleTechTalks 285,734 views
- 15:30 Edward Feigenbaum & Penny Nii: Expert Systems (excerpt): Thinking Allowed w/ Jeffrey Mishloveby ThinkingAllowedTV 2,707 views
- 50:21 (2of3) Triumph of the Nerds: Riding The Bear. 1996 Documentaryby TTVRewind 70,997 views
- Loading more suggestions...