Return of Influenza - A "Microbes After Hours" Series - Tuesday, October 9, 2012
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Published on Oct 10, 2012
Fall is on the horizon, bringing with it freshly-sharpened pencils, vibrantly-colored leaves, and of course - the annual influenza season. In this video you will learn about the microbiology of this fascinating virus and why vaccination not only protects ourselves but higher-risk individuals all around us.
Guest speakers include...
Dr. Jeff Taubenberger, NIH/NIAID
Jeffery K. Taubenberger, M.D., Ph.D., is Chief of the Viral Pathogenesis and Evolution Section in the Laboratory of Infectious Diseases, National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases. Prior to coming to NIAID in 2006, he served as Chair of the Department of Molecular Pathology at the Armed Forces Institute of Pathology. Dr. Taubenberger received a B.S. in Biology from George Mason University in 1982, and his medical degree in 1986 and Ph.D. in 1987 from the Medical College of Virginia, where he was elected into the Alpha Omega Alpha Medical Honor Society. He did his residency in pathology at the National Cancer Institute and he holds dual board certifications in Anatomic Pathology and in Molecular Genetic Pathology. He was elected into the Association of American Physicians and into the American Academy of Microbiology. He has published over 175 papers in such journals as Science, Nature, and the New England Journal of Medicine. Dr. Taubenberger's research interests include influenza virus biology, pathophysiology, and clinical research. Among his key contributions to the field was the characterization of the virus responsible for the 1918 influenza pandemic, which killed approximately 50 million people worldwide.
Dr. Kristin Nichol, University of Minnesota
Dr. Nichol is Associate Chief of Staff for Research at the Minneapolis VA Health Care System and Professor of Medicine at the University of Minnesota. Dr. Nichol's research has focused on issues relating to adults vaccines with a special emphasis on influenza and pneumococcal vaccination. She has pursued observational studies and clinical trials in such areas as successful delivery strategies, determinants of vaccination behavior, side effects associated with vaccination, and the clinical efficacy and cost effectiveness of vaccination. Dr. Nichol has authored more than 100 publications in these areas and has given presentations at numerous national and international meetings. Dr. Nichol is Chairperson of the Minnesota Coalition for Adult Immunization -- a position she has held for 20 years. This group provides leadership for enhancing adult vaccination for the entire state of Minnesota. She also served for 15 years as the Department of Veterans Affairs ex officio member of the US Advisory Committee on Immunization Practices (ACIP). Dr. Nichol received her MD and MPH degrees from the University of Minnesota and her MBA from the University of St. Thomas. She pursued her internal medicine training at the University of California in San Francisco and the University of Minnesota. Dr. Nichol is boarded in Internal Medicine and Preventive Medicine.
Standard YouTube License
- 57:21 BBC Secret Universe: The Hidden Life of the Cellby SchoolHelper94173,750 views
- 54:50 Interview - John M. Barry - The Great Influenzaby talkingsticktv8,678 views
- 56:49 We Heard the Bells: The Influenza of 1918by PublicResourceOrg28,212 views
- 3:59 Hydrogen Peroxide - Simple Trick to Treat the Cold or Fluby Mercola552,045 views
- 56:50 We Heard the Bells: The Influenza of 1918 (full documentary)by betterthantv I Melissa Brewer18,267 views
- 9:23 Reconstructing The 1918 Flu Virus PART 1/4by FluTracker3,061 views
- 7:48 DNA Replicationby CoolScienceVideos478,449 views
- 1:12:58 The Microbiology of the Bioeconomy - ASM's "Microbes After Hours" Seriesby American Society for Microbiology504 views
- 10 videos Play all ICAAC 2012by MicrobeWorld
- 1:49:39 Influenza Viruses and Pandemicsby StanfordUniversity6,846 views
- 11:18 Meeting Housekeeping Items / Points of Interest - Lita Proctor and Owen Whiteby GenomeTV301 views
- 8:23 Hospitals "Full-Up": The 1918 Influenza Pandemicby upmcbiosecurity131,205 views
- 11:59 The First Thing to do When a Cold or Flu Strikesby Mercola146,944 views
- 7:19 Reportaje influenza AH1N1by Tabasco HOY2,719 views
- 12:17 Dr. TV Perú (23-07-2013) - B1 - Tema del día: Gripe H1N1by Doctor TV6,555 views
- 5:27 Bacteria and Viruses: Scienceby BIGNFLUFFY677,339 views
- 2:39 Focus on Bonnie Basslerby embomeeting1,251 views
- 4:09 Influenza 2012-2013by vito lavolpe872 views
- 12:34 NOVA scienceNOW : 25 - 1918 Fluby araniel16,592 views
- 3:21 Virus Infects A Cell on Vimeoby Jami Bebout3,189 views