President Salvador Allende: The Last Speech
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Uploaded on Mar 23, 2009
A brief history of Chile. The story of Dr. Salvador Allende and General Pinochet.
Surely this will be the last opportunity for me to address you. The Air Force has bombed the antennas of Radio Magallanes.
My words do not have bitterness but disappointment. May they be a moral punishment for those who have betrayed their oath: soldiers of Chile, titular commanders in chief, Admiral Merino, who has designated himself Commander of the Navy, and Mr. Mendoza, the despicable general who only yesterday pledged his fidelity and loyalty to the Government, and who also has appointed himself Chief of the Carabineros [paramilitary police].
Given these facts, the only thing left for me is to say to workers: I am not going to resign! Placed in a historic transition, I will pay for loyalty to the people with my life. And I say to them that I am certain that the seeds which we have planted in the good conscience of thousands and thousands of Chileans will not be shriveled forever.
They have force and will be able to dominate us, but social processes can be arrested by neither crime nor force. History is ours, and people make history.
Workers of my country: I want to thank you for the loyalty that you always had, the confidence that you deposited in a man who was only an interpreter of great yearnings for justice, who gave his word that he would respect the Constitution and the law and did just that. At this definitive moment, the last moment when I can address you, I wish you to take advantage of the lesson: foreign capital, imperialism, together with the reaction, created the climate in which the Armed Forces broke their tradition, the tradition taught by General Schneider and reaffirmed by Commander Araya, victims of the same social sector who today are hoping, with foreign assistance, to re-conquer the power to continue defending their profits and their privileges.
I address you, above all, the modest woman of our land, the campesina who believed in us, the mother who knew our concern for children. I address professionals of Chile, patriotic professionals who continued working against the sedition that was supported by professional associations, classist associations that also defended the advantages of capitalist society. I address the youth, those who sang and gave us their joy and their spirit of struggle. I address the man of Chile, the worker, the farmer, the intellectual, those who will be persecuted, because in our country fascism has been already present for many hours -- in terrorist attacks, blowing up the bridges, cutting the railroad tracks, destroying the oil and gas pipelines, in the face of the silence of those who had the obligation to act. They were committed. History will judge them.
Surely Radio Magallanes will be silenced, and the calm metal instrument of my voice will no longer reach you. It does not matter. You will continue hearing it. I will always be next to you. At least my memory will be that of a man of dignity who was loyal to his country.
The people must defend themselves, but they must not sacrifice themselves. The people must not let themselves be destroyed or riddled with bullets, but they cannot be humiliated either.
Workers of my country, I have faith in Chile and its destiny. Other men will overcome this dark and bitter moment when treason seeks to prevail. Go forward knowing that, sooner rather than later, the great avenues will open again and free men will walk through them to construct a better society.
Long live Chile! Long live the people! Long live the workers!
These are my last words, and I am certain that my sacrifice will not be in vain, I am certain that, at the very least, it will be a moral lesson that will punish felony, cowardice, and treason.
Santiago (Chile), 11 September 1973
(thanks to Wikipedia)
Background Music: The National Anthem of Chile
Standard YouTube License
- Buy "La Historia Es Nuestra, y los Hacen los Pueblos" on
Daniele Sepe, Daniele Sepe
- 2:55 DISCURSO QUE MATO A SALVADOR ALLENDE 1972by Nicolas UfoFeatured 195,435
- 10:45 9-11-1973: Chile coupby CTV911 8,263 views
- 1:39:48 SALVADOR ALLENDE (CILE, 11 SETTEMBRE 1973...)by etruscanwarrior 81,102 views
- 4:38 Salvador Allende (Chile) El mejor discurso de la Historia. Universidad de Guadalajara (Méxicoby xabiapineda 30,149 views
- 3:51 SALVADOR ALLENDE Y SU MANDATO COMO PRESIDENTEby PartisanoAKA 2,453 views
- 3:24 Visión 7: Chile: A 39 años del golpe a Salvador Allendeby TVPublicaArgentina 2,210 views
- Salvador Allende 3,957 videos56
- 5:45 La última decisión de Salvador Allendeby Miguel Angel Angulo 85,785 views
- 103 videos Play all chileby InBonobo
- 2:02 Don Francisco Cerdo Oportunista Manipulador al Lado del Imperialismo y los Ricos - 13/09/2011by VideotecaLucianoCruz 434,928 views
- 10:45 CIA and Chilean dictator Pinochetby AkliSelim34 16,298 views
- 1:32 Salvador Allende, UNOby elcantor 116,424 views
- 7:32 SALVADOR ALLENDEby benitopablojuarezg 7,445 views
- 21:17 Documental: Salvador Allende parte 2 de 3by MariscalVoroshilov99 12,775 views
- 6:17 Últimas palabras de SALVADOR ALLENDEby PartisanoAKA 5,023 views
- 6:56 Chile 1973 - The "First" 9/11 [English]by bronwaaann1 14,746 views
- 1:37:39 1/2 Documental golpe de estado en Chile/La Batalla de Chile - Patricio Guzman (Parte 1)by RevolutionZGZ 445 views
- 3:52 Último discurso de Salvador Allendeby chemota69 3,155 views
- 9:29 The Fascist History of Chileby MrSovetski 2,496 views
- 7:13 Eleccion de Salvador Allendeby jbeth53 23,874 views
- 6:10 Discurso de Salvador Allende en la ONU en 1972by Jorge Fernandez-Canales 38,999 views
- 2:56 Salvador Allende en la ONUby CANAL DE HDTVLAT 80,007 views
- Loading more suggestions...