The Ascent of Money: A Financial History of The World by Niall Ferguson Epsd. 1-5 (Full Documentary)
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Uploaded on Nov 7, 2011
Niall Ferguson follows the money to tell the human story behind the evolution of finance, from its origins in ancient Mesopotamia to the latest upheavals on what he calls Planet Finance.
Bread, cash, dosh, dough, loot, lucre, moolah, readies, the wherewithal: Call it what you like, it matters. To Christians, love of it is the root of all evil. To generals, it's the sinews of war. To revolutionaries, it's the chains of labor. But in The Ascent of Money, Niall Ferguson shows that finance is in fact the foundation of human progress. What's more, he reveals financial history as the essential backstory behind all history.
Through Ferguson's expert lens familiar historical landmarks appear in a new and sharper financial focus. Suddenly, the civilization of the Renaissance looks very different: a boom in the market for art and architecture made possible when Italian bankers adopted Arabic mathematics. The rise of the Dutch republic is reinterpreted as the triumph of the world's first modern bond market over insolvent Habsburg absolutism. And the origins of the French Revolution are traced back to a stock market bubble caused by a convicted Scot murderer.
With the clarity and verve for which he is known, Ferguson elucidates key financial institutions and concepts by showing where they came from. What is money? What do banks do? What's the difference between a stock and a bond? Why buy insurance or real estate? And what exactly does a hedge fund do?
This is history for the present. Ferguson travels to post-Katrina New Orleans to ask why the free market can't provide adequate protection against catastrophe. He delves into the origins of the subprime mortgage crisis.
Perhaps most important, The Ascent of Money documents how a new financial revolution is propelling the world's biggest countries, India and China, from poverty to wealth in the space of a single generation—an economic transformation unprecedented in human history.
Yet the central lesson of the financial history is that sooner or later every bubble bursts—sooner or later the bearish sellers outnumber the bullish buyers, sooner or later greed flips into fear. And that's why, whether you're scraping by or rolling in it, there's never been a better time to understand the ascent of money.
Standard YouTube License
- 3:38 tyDi - Nothing Really Matters ft. Melanie Fontanaby tyDiVEVOFeatured 197,708
- 2:10:23 97% Owned - Economic Truth documentary - Queuepolitely cutby queuepolitely.com 317,784 views
- 1:28:00 History of the World in Two Hoursby Bashkiria Today 160,277 views
- 1:16:29 The One Percentby WarZalez 784,504 views
- 46:22 Overdose: The Next Financial Crisisby journeymanpictures 1,237,235 views
- 59:07 Our history is not what we think!by SouthSomewhere's channel 504,112 views
- 59:05 The Last Days Of Lehman Brothers [ENG sub] FULL MOVIEby Canale di demonaz28121985 314,024 views
- 3:29:21 The Money Masters ~ Full Movieby Bliu Nineleven 176,849 views
- 1:17:30 The Crisis of Civilization - Full Length Documentary Movie HDby thecrisisfilm 242,748 views
- 1:00:34 History of the Bible (Full Documentary)by Jesus Christ is King of kings 459,840 views
- 49:43 Goerings Last Secret : Revealed 2011by TNSL1111's channel 42,174 views
- 1:23:03 While You Were Sleeping (Full Documentary) HDby Depths of Yah 2.0 809,126 views
- 2:31:33 *AGE OF DECEIT* (FULL) Fallen Angels and the New World Orderby FaceLikeTheSun 1,886,754 views
- HISTORY 745 videos998K
- 7:08 The First 12 Hours of a US Dollar Collapseby freehotmarketingtips 415,972 views
- 1:29:23 The Venus Project - Future By Design - Full documentaryby 3onlinedocumentaries 208,056 views
- 49:43 The Biggest Bank Heist Ever! | HDby IsuruFoundation's channel 211,610 views
- 26:50 Niall Ferguson: Empire: the Rise and Demise of the British World Orderby Allan Gregg In Conversation 29,820 views
- 10:02 Niall Ferguson: "The "age of debt" has come to an end."by GalneGunnarTV 15,211 views
- 58:58 RBS - Inside The Bank That Ran Out Of Moneyby thefrockdoctrine 104,644 views
- 23:19 Europe on the Brink -- A WSJ Documentaryby The Wall Street Journal 96,123 views
- Loading more suggestions...