The Ascent of Money: A Financial History of The World by Niall Ferguson Epsd. 1-5 (Full Documentary)
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Uploaded on Nov 7, 2011
Niall Ferguson follows the money to tell the human story behind the evolution of finance, from its origins in ancient Mesopotamia to the latest upheavals on what he calls Planet Finance.
Bread, cash, dosh, dough, loot, lucre, moolah, readies, the wherewithal: Call it what you like, it matters. To Christians, love of it is the root of all evil. To generals, it's the sinews of war. To revolutionaries, it's the chains of labor. But in The Ascent of Money, Niall Ferguson shows that finance is in fact the foundation of human progress. What's more, he reveals financial history as the essential backstory behind all history.
Through Ferguson's expert lens familiar historical landmarks appear in a new and sharper financial focus. Suddenly, the civilization of the Renaissance looks very different: a boom in the market for art and architecture made possible when Italian bankers adopted Arabic mathematics. The rise of the Dutch republic is reinterpreted as the triumph of the world's first modern bond market over insolvent Habsburg absolutism. And the origins of the French Revolution are traced back to a stock market bubble caused by a convicted Scot murderer.
With the clarity and verve for which he is known, Ferguson elucidates key financial institutions and concepts by showing where they came from. What is money? What do banks do? What's the difference between a stock and a bond? Why buy insurance or real estate? And what exactly does a hedge fund do?
This is history for the present. Ferguson travels to post-Katrina New Orleans to ask why the free market can't provide adequate protection against catastrophe. He delves into the origins of the subprime mortgage crisis.
Perhaps most important, The Ascent of Money documents how a new financial revolution is propelling the world's biggest countries, India and China, from poverty to wealth in the space of a single generation—an economic transformation unprecedented in human history.
Yet the central lesson of the financial history is that sooner or later every bubble bursts—sooner or later the bearish sellers outnumber the bullish buyers, sooner or later greed flips into fear. And that's why, whether you're scraping by or rolling in it, there's never been a better time to understand the ascent of money.
Standard YouTube License
- 10:38 Lauren | Season 2, Ep. 1 of 12 | Feat. Troian Bellisario & Jennifer Beals | WIGSby WIGSFeatured 490,640
- 3:29:21 The Money Masters ~ Full Movieby Bliu Nineleven 190,128 views
- 2:10:23 97% Owned - Economic Truth documentary - Queuepolitely cutby QueuePolitely 342,228 views
- 1:28:00 History of the World in Two Hoursby Bashkiria Today 208,620 views
- 1:16:29 The One Percentby WarZalez 841,550 views
- 46:22 Overdose: The Next Financial Crisisby Journeyman Pictures 1,307,199 views
- 19:01 WORLD BANKER MAKES STUNNING CONFESSIONby PremierLegend 1,307,566 views
- 58:48 Restoration Home - Big House - Episode Sixby brigadeir998 118,046 views
- 59:05 The Last Days Of Lehman Brothers [ENG sub] FULL MOVIEby demonaz28121985 338,126 views
- HISTORY 761 videos1M
- 1:30:38 The True Story of Che Guevara - The Documentaryby E3lamelMokawama 606,235 views
- 48:08 The Ascent of Money: A Financial History of The World by Niall Ferguson Epsd. 6 (Full Documentary)by DayInTheLifeOfRTB 43,503 views
- 1:00:34 History of the Bible (Full Documentary)by kytekuttertv 476,355 views
- 2:31:33 *AGE OF DECEIT* (FULL) Fallen Angels and the New World Orderby FaceLikeTheSun 2,012,973 views
- 46:57 Money As Debt - Full Length Documentaryby paagleTV 151,331 views
- 1:23:03 While You Were Sleeping (Full Documentary) HDby TRUTHABOUTSUNDAY 829,681 views
- 49:43 The Biggest Bank Heist Ever! | HDby IsuruFoundation 221,645 views
- 1:29:23 The Venus Project - Future By Design - Full documentaryby 3onlinedocumentaries 219,630 views
- 49:43 Goerings Last Secret : Revealed 2011by Tony West 51,320 views
- 2:18:16 Class Conflict, Inequality, the 1% - Ralph Nader, Niall Ferguson, Charles Murray, Lewis Laphamby SiebelScholars 14,725 views
- 10:02 Niall Ferguson: "The "age of debt" has come to an end."by GalneGunnarTV 15,855 views
- Loading more suggestions...