How to Put Out a Grease Fire
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Uploaded on Apr 27, 2010
See what you can learn on the go with the new Howcast App for iPhone and iPad: http://bit.ly/11ZmFOu
Watch more Home Security & Safety videos: http://www.howcast.com/guides/154-Hom...
Subscribe to Howcast's YouTube Channel - http://bit.ly/uLaHRS
A grease fire can escalate quickly. Follow these safety steps to douse the flames.
Howcast uploads the highest quality how-to videos daily! Be sure to check out our playlists for guides that interest you: http://bit.ly/ytmainplaylists
Subscribe to Howcast's other YouTube Channels:
Howcast Dance & Entertainment Channel - http://bit.ly/vmB86i
Howcast Family Channel - http://bit.ly/16dz9oH
Howcast Food & Drink Channel - http://bit.ly/umBoJX
Howcast Personal Care & Style Channel - http://bit.ly/vbbNt3
Howcast Sports & Fitness Channel - http://bit.ly/vKjUjm
Howcast Tech Channel - http://bit.ly/rx9FwR
Howcast Video Games Channel - http://bit.ly/tYKKrk
Howcast empowers people with engaging, useful how-to information wherever, whenever they need to know how. Emphasizing high-quality instructional videos, Howcast brings you experts who provide accurate information in easy-to-follow tutorials on everything from makeup, hairstyling, nail art design, and soccer to parkour, skateboarding, dancing, kissing, and much, much more.
Grease fires can be very dangerous. Call 911 as soon as you suspect you cannot control the fire.
Step 1: Initiate an evacuation
Turn off the burner and get everybody out of the kitchen. Have your phone at the ready in case you need to call 911.
Step 2: Avoid water
Steer clear of water. Pouring water on burning grease will cause the superheated water to splatter, spreading the fire.
Do not carry the burning pan outside. The grease will splash and spread the fire.
Step 3: Cover with the lid
Cover the fire with the pan lid. Avoid using glass lids since they can shatter from the heat.
Step 4: Smother with baking soda
Smother the fire with baking soda. This method works if a large amount of baking soda is quickly accessible.
Stop, drop, and roll if your clothes catch on fire.
Step 5: Douse with fire extinguisher
Douse the fire with a dry chemical fire extinguisher. Store a Class B kitchen fire extinguisher within easy reach.
Step 6: Call 911
If the flames aren't out, call 911 immediately and get out of the house.
Did You Know?
Approximately 3,660 people are injured in cooking equipment fires each year.
Standard YouTube License
- 2:45 How to Pull Someone out of a Burning Carby Howcast Featured 9,743
- 1:29 How to Start a Fire with an Aluminum Can and a Chocolate Barby Howcast1,447,751 views
- 1:34 How to Deter Burglarsby Howcast89,442 views
- 1:12 How to Hide Things from Burglarsby Howcast343,415 views
- 1:57 How to Score Higher on the SAT / ACTby Howcast27,414 views
- 7:07 How to start a fire without matchesby Kelly Alwood1,643 views
- 4:04 Putting out kitchen grease firesby ABC2 News | WMAR-TV Baltimore2,345 views
- 124 videos Play all Fire Trainingby ledrman
- 11:23 Bob Novandy - plastic bottle recyclerby gorbi2k787,686 views
- 12:21 How To Grow Orange Trees From Seed - The EASY Way!!!!by athatcher85219,466 views
- 10:58 Building a fire with no matches, or even no wood, The Brigham Tea co, survival skills,by Paul Bowerman150,879 views
- 10:51 bfp fire safety tips videoby allan floresca6,955 views
- 1:55 How to Put out and Prevent a Kitchen Fireby SCDFvideos70,414 views
- 0:57 How to Get Your Child to Stop Biting Peopleby Howcast129,122 views
- 3:09:08 ♥♥ The Best Fireplace Video (3 hours long)by MoneySavingVideos1,658,446 views
- 1:53 How to Protect Yourself from Stingraysby Howcast183,709 views
- 2:09 How to Give Your Dog a Pillby Howcast96,661 views
- 5:39 NBC TODAY Show: Kitchen Fire Safety, Apr. 23, 2007by homesafetycouncil54,164 views
- 1:49 How to Summer-Proof a Carby Howcast14,680 views
- 5:13 Water Mist Fire Demonstrationby BREVideoUK109,894 views