Police remove Praying Christian from the step of St Paul's - Occupy LSX - February 28
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Uploaded on Feb 27, 2012
Video by Jamie Kelsey Fry - http://yfrog.com/jtldkxz
OCCUPY LSX - http://occupylondonsos.org + http://www.occupylsx.org
A promise from Occupy London: this is only the beginning
The last thing to go were the kitchen shelves. Around a dozen occupiers peacefully resisted to the last; a short distance away a vigil continued on the Cathedral steps as others observed, supported, prayed and remembered. The police cordons made the groups seem further apart than they actually were.
On the steps, a mini GA discussed events as they were happening around it -- and in particular the collusion of Saint Paul's Cathedral in the eviction they had previously said that they did not want to see. At around 2am in the morning, the floodlights which illuminate the neoclassical edifice of that great building were turned off. When the lights returned, four policemen could be clearly seen on the balcony, in silhouette.
Not long afterwards, police were given leave to clear the steps themselves, the site of former Canon Chancellor Giles Fraser's famous intervention of 16 October, when he asked the police to leave and recognised our right to assemble. Giles Fraser, who is so much a part of this story, was prevented from crossing the police lines to reach the Occupy London Stock Exchange site tonight. We would have liked to see him there.
This morning, the City of London Corporation and St Paul's Cathedral have dismantled a camp and displaced a small community, but they will not derail a movement. The attention given to the final hours of the Occupy London Stock Exchange site is testament to that. We would like to thank all those who got the word out on social and traditional media overnight. We are deeply appreciative of the sustained attention we have received; it's all the more precious at absurd hours of the morning.
The natural question to rush to in these moments is "what next?" In the short term, there will be a GA at 7pm on Tuesday by the steps of St Paul's. In the medium term, it is only right that people will need time to rest, reflect and recharge, to take stock and learn the lessons of the past four and a half months. But be assured that plans are already afoot: plans of some ambition, employing a diversity of tactics and delivered with the aplomb you would expect from us. All will be revealed in time. May is one of our favourite months.
This morning also saw the eviction of the Occupy London School of Ideas in Islington in, to say the least, somewhat unorthodox circumstances, while their case was still progressing through the court system. We trust that occupiers will be able to fully retrieve their belongings before what sounds like a hastily brought forward demolition is enacted. What happens to Southern Housing Group's planning application this week deserves careful examination, as do the views of local people living near Bunhill Row.
We'll miss Occupy London Stock Exchange but not because of the tents, or even the kitchen shelves: it was a makeshift, loosely cooperative, occasionally quarrelling and fiercely idealistic group of people who came together to achieve something extraordinary. The relationships forged during these strange and beautiful four and a half months still have much further to run. This is only the beginning.
Occupy London Press Team
Standard YouTube License
- 1:48:29 Peter Schiff at Occupy Wall Street: Full Version, Almost 2 Hours Long!by ReasonTV155,075 views
- 53:08 Diamond Jubilee - National Service of Thanksgiving, St Paul's Cathedral - Part 1 of 2by RedSquirrelCrossing49,845 views
- 15:26 police harass occupy allentown 02 17 2012by Edward Beck Jr1,164 views
- 8:57 The Baboonery Of Occupy Wall Street And Its Real Intentions Part 5by James Ambas129 views
- 14:06 OCCUPY LSX ST.PAULS being evicted live on BBC news - 100% copyright infringement (Part A)by mORGANICo1,178 views
- 3:39 Occupiers Not Sure if Al Qaeda Worse than Evangelical Christiansby Dan Joseph1,711 views
- 6:18 Occupiers Confront Christian Fundamentalists at the Steps of City Hallby Charlie Kaijo2,276 views
- 29:06 The 99 Percent - Worldby Journeyman Pictures20,216 views
- 6:05 Police move behind the Occupy London protesters in St Paul's, Londonby videobeat096,360 views
- 2:22 St Paul's protest Occupy London camp evicted 28th Feb 2012by Spab Mendez1,214 views
- 1:47 Occupy London Eviction: James Whale Returns Post-Evictionby LBC 97.31,881 views
- 3:24 The Newsroom - Occupy Wallstreet Interviewby Josh O'Driscoll25,232 views
- 1:04 Police at Occupy eviction 28th February 2012 say St Paul's gave permission to clear the stepsby Ekklesiavision5,388 views
- 9:32 Why Occupy Christianity is importantby The Big Picture RT2,292 views
- 6:00 George Galloway speaks to Occupy London defacto leaderby taldari646 views
- 4:11 Occupy London (Occupy LSX) - St Pauls 15 October 2011 - A short filmby ConCollectiveNet13,063 views
- 3:52 Dumb Liberal Hippies Don't Know Why They're Protestingby UFPnews585,228 views
- 25:44 Organ/orgel Grand_Organ_of_St Paul's Cathedral,London demo en uitlegby Wim Groen81,300 views
- 9:59 Occupy London's Xmas Party with 3D and Thom Yorkeby Brass Moustache69,609 views
- 6:36 OCCUPY LSX ST.PAULS being evicted live on BBC news - 100% copyright infringementby mORGANICo1,004 views
- Loading more suggestions...