How To Choose Paint
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Uploaded on Mar 30, 2009
Nothing transforms a home more than changing the color of the walls. Paint gives a strong visual impression and reflects your personality in your home. You don't have to be a designer to choose the right paint for your home either. All it takes is a little planning and knowledge. From light sources to paint finishes, we will show you how to choose the perfect type and shade of paint to help set the perfect mood in any room of your home.
The best part about paint is that it is subjective and there is no right or wrong paint. Everyone's style is different so be sure to pick the colors that you like and that show your personality. Observing nature can help as well. See what colors flow together to pick different palates. Choose color cards as well to see how different colors sit with the wood work, furniture and curtains in a home. Picking similar colors to keep continuity will help the flow throughout the house. Painting neutral or lighter shades around a home allows for heavy accents and will allow you to easily mix and mach accessories.
Once you have chosen several colors to paint, test the colors in the room. Create a sample board to figure out how the colors blend together. A very important tip is to paint a 2'x2' test area on a wall. Different times of the day can change the entire hue of a color. Perception can also change between natural and artificial light, so be sure to test the colors with different lights.
Ceilings are another factor to consider. They can make the paint a different color depending on their shade. They should always be lighter than the paint. White ceilings make a room look bigger, while a dark ceiling can make a room feel smaller and more condensed. The room size is important too. Lighter colors make a room appear larger and bright colors can scale down a room.
When choosing colors consider the color wheel. Using colors that are cool or warm can change the whole tone of a room. Warm colors that scale from red to yellow green symbolize strength and passion and are typically used in kitchens and children's play rooms. Cool colors that scale from green to red violet symbolize calmness and peacefulness and typically are used in bathrooms and living rooms. Always think about complimentary colors, analogous colors and monochromatic colors and how they blend together.
Choosing the type of paint is important when it comes to the finish. Latex based paint drys quicker and cleans with soap and water. Sheen is the glossiness of the finish. Types of sheen are gloss, semi gloss, satin, eggshell and flat.
Finally figure out how much paint you will use. Use the paint calculators Lowes.com/calculators. Usually a gallon covers 400 square feet. For more helpful tips like these, visit https://www.Lowes.com/Videos.
Subscribe to Lowe's YouTube for great how to videos and home improvement tips: http://www.youtube.com/subscription_c...
Or head to our channel: http://www.youtube.com/Lowes
Standard YouTube License
- 9:20 How to Prep Surfaces Before You Paintby Lowe's How To Videos 258,569 views
- 6:28 How to Paint: Basic Latex Painting Techniquesby Lowes 73,147 views
- 4:50 How to Improve Curb Appeal and The Value of Your Homeby Lowes 93,638 views
- 2:21 Kitchen Remodeling Ideas on a Budgetby Lowe's How To Videos 131,739 views
- 1:32 Big Bold Stripes - Living Room Painting Techniquesby Lowe's How To Videos 11,335 views
- 2:07 How to Paint Door and Window Trim - Home 101by Lowe's How To Videos 66,047 views
- 3:25 Lowe's Creative Ideas: Building an Outdoor Privacy Screenby Lowe's How To Videos 221,294 views
- 1:40 Creative Interior Design Ideas to Add Natural Beauty to Your Homeby Lowes 28,083 views
- 3:32 The Laundry Room - Armstrong Exquisite Vinyl Plank Flooringby Lowes 43,674 views
- 4:47 How to Help Control Mold and Mildew in Your Homeby Lowes 109,292 views
- 5:36 How to Install Cabinet Organizers for Pots, Pans and Trash Cansby Lowes 124,975 views
- 4:40 Install a Pebble Tile Accent Wall: Installationby Lowe's How To Videos 435,933 views
- 3:58 How To Install A Ceiling Fanby Lowes 254,474 views
- 3:05 Rate My Space - Living Room Makeoverby Lowe's How To Videos 32,074 views
- 5:21 How to Install Wire Shelves for a More Organized Closetby Lowe's How To Videos 102,139 views
- 5:31 How To Install A Solid Hardwood Floorby Lowe's How To Videos 311,041 views
- 6:52 Installing a Vanity and Sinkby Lowe's How To Videos 248,111 views
- 5:21 How to Hang Pictures on a Wallby Lowe's How To Videos 192,633 views
- 5:20 How to Replace and Install Your Kitchen Faucetby Lowe's How To Videos 428,787 views
- 2:32 Shur-Line's Teflon Paint Brush Demonstrationby Lowe's How To Videos 7,045 views