This video is unavailable.
Carl Sagan - You Are Here (Pale Blue Dot) [Sagan Time]
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Uploaded on Jul 19, 2011
This excerpt from A Pale Blue Dot was inspired by an image taken, at Carl Sagan's suggestion, by Voyager 1 on February 14, 1990. As the spacecraft left our planetary neighborhood for the fringes of the solar system, engineers turned it around for one last look at its home planet. Voyager 1 was about 6.4 billion kilometers (4 billion miles) away, and approximately 32 degrees above the ecliptic plane, when it captured this portrait of our world. Caught in the center of scattered light rays (a result of taking the picture so close to the Sun), Earth appears as a tiny point of light, a crescent only 0.12 pixel in size.
Music: Ludovico Einaudi with a track titled, very fittingly, "The Earth Prelude"
Initial clip collection: HottiesInc
Ending scene: The intro from "Contact", the motion picture based on Carl Sagan's novel by the same name
I take no credit for anything in this video.
For audio download/more, visit www.sagantime.com
Update: I agree that the inclusion of Ronald Reagan and Mikhail Gorbachev when Carl said "corrupt politicians" is unfortunate. I did not mean to insinuate that either of them were corrupt, nor to make some partisan jab. It is merely meant as an image of politicians.
Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam.
The Earth is a very small stage in a vast cosmic arena. Think of the rivers of blood spilled by all those generals and emperors so that, in glory and triumph, they could become the momentary masters of a fraction of a dot. Think of the endless cruelties visited by the inhabitants of one corner of this pixel on the scarcely distinguishable inhabitants of some other corner, how frequent their misunderstandings, how eager they are to kill one another, how fervent their hatreds.
Our posturings, our imagined self-importance, the delusion that we have some privileged position in the Universe, are challenged by this point of pale light. Our planet is a lonely speck in the great enveloping cosmic dark. In our obscurity, in all this vastness, there is no hint that help will come from elsewhere to save us from ourselves.
The Earth is the only world known so far to harbor life. There is nowhere else, at least in the near future, to which our species could migrate. Visit, yes. Settle, not yet. Like it or not, for the moment the Earth is where we make our stand.
It has been said that astronomy is a humbling and character-building experience. There is perhaps no better demonstration of the folly of human conceits than this distant image of our tiny world. To me, it underscores our responsibility to deal more kindly with one another, and to preserve and cherish the pale blue dot, the only home we've ever known.
-- Carl Sagan (1934-1996)
Standard YouTube License
- Buy "The Earth Prelude" on
Next in Sagan Time
- 4:45 Carl Sagan destroys creationist in debateby tehjowFeatured 438,259
- 3:13 Neil DeGrasse Tyson Destroys Bill O'Reillyby Hydrohaxx 2,255,634 views
- 3:06 Carl Sagan: We Humans Are Capable Of Greatnessby WesTCoastiNTwo 57,097 views
- 4:55 Humility - Carl Saganby Nefzeni 108,776 views
- 4:26 The Detailed Universe: This will Blow Your Mind.by PureEducation 1,810,944 views
- 5:37 Neil deGrasse Tyson schools former GM exec Lutz on climate changeby 1michelemichele1 179,696 views
- 0:29 Carl Sagan-Cosmos edited for rednecksby chrispalfie 1,032,906 views
- 10:00 Carl Sagan's last interview, part 1 of 3by bishop8000 496,103 views
- 10 videos Play all Carl Saganby curtissthompson
- 31:47 The Full Sagan Series 1-9 HDby joshblain72 40,980 views
- 5:22 On The Day Carl Sagan Diedby midhrifs 765,836 views
- 2:33 Carl Sagan - Profound Words of Wisdomby godisafrauddotcom 120,885 views
- 3:16 Neil Degrasse Tyson talks about religionby chingisxani 103,983 views
- 1:33 Largest star ever discovered, compared to our Sunby LumpyChiPmunk 2,674,649 views
- 5:32 Stephen Hawking and Brian Cox discuss mind over matterby mp3talon 258,373 views
- 5:59 We Are Here: The Pale Blue Dot (HD)by Durfan 184,326 views
- 2:33 HBO Band of Brothers: German General's speechby KrewArmyAirsoftCo 2,089,745 views
- 10:00 Wanderers: Carl Sagan on human evolution, exploration [Carl Sagan Tribute Series]by Callum C. J. Sutherland 147,512 views
- 3:03 EARTH - One video you NEED to seeby DaveandNic4eva 5,135,453 views
- 1:37 Carl Sagan's influence on Neil Tyson.by Reuven Goldstein 177,291 views
- 7:00 James Randi Speaks: Carl Saganby JamesRandiFoundation 216,215 views
- Loading more suggestions...