Elephant chewing palm stalks, Kochi!
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Published on Jul 9, 2012
A palm-leaf eating elephant in Kerala! I guess the elephants have adapted to their south Indian habitat!
The majestic elephants are the largest mammal on land yet they are peaceful and gentle creatures. There are two types of elephant species, Asian (Indian Elephants) and African. Asian Elephants are easily distinguishable from the African tuskers by their smaller size and ears, more rounded back and fourth toenail on each of their hind feet. They have thick, dry skin with a small amount of stiff hair, and are grey to brown in colour. The current worldwide population of Asian elephants is estimated at between 41,410 and 52,345 individuals. Listed as an endangered species, its the only remaining species of the genus Elephas mainly distributed in Southeast Asia from India in the west to Borneo in the east.
Generally Elephants have poor eyesight, but they possess a very good sense of hearing and smell. The lifespan of Elephants is awesome, having bigger brains and an amazing memory. They rarely live on isolation but mostly stay together. So when one animal detects danger, the whole herd is alerted. The major regions where elephants are found in India include the forests of Karnataka, Tamilnadu, Kerala, Uttara Pradesh, Orissa, and Assam. It is estimated that there are over 28,000 Indian Elephants in India, including zoos and animal parks. The Indian Elephant is found across India in protected forests and in Nepal, Bhutan, Bangladesh and Myanmar. Famous Indian Elephant reserves in India includes Periyar Widlife Sanctuary, Bandipur and Nagarhole National Parks.
On an additional note Kerala has an area of 38,863 km2 and is bordered by Karnataka to the north and northeast, Tamil Nadu to the south and southeast and the Arabian Sea towards the west. Thiruvananthapuram is the capital city. Kochi and Kozhikode are other major cities.
Formerly known as Cochin, Kochi is a major port city on the west coast of India by the Arabian Sea in the district of Ernakulam, Kerala.The city of Kochi is Kerala's second largest city and the most densely populated city in the state. Kochi city is also a part of Greater Cochin region and also the highest graded city in the state. The Outlook Traveller magazine has named Kochi as the sixth best tourist destination in India.
Heralded as the Queen of Arabian Sea, Kochi was an important spice trading centre on the Arabian Sea coast from the 14th century. Occupied by the Portuguese Empire in 1503, Kochi was the first of the European colonies in India. It remained the main seat of Portuguese India until 1530, when Goa was chosen instead. The city was later occupied by the Dutch and the British, with the Kingdom of Cochin becoming a princely state.
The mystical land of Kerala, also known as 'GOD'S OWN COUNTRY' lies between the Lakshadweep sea and the Western Ghats. It has a humid equatorial tropic climate. The eastern Kerala province consists of high mountains, gorges and deep-cut valleys directly to the west of the Western Ghats' rain shadow. The highest peak is Anamudi at an elevated at 2,695 meters. At the west of the mountains lie the midland plains comprising central Kerala, dominated by rolling hills and valleys.
Kerala's western coastal belt is somewhat flat, and is criss-crossed by a network of interconnected brackish canals, lakes, estuaries, and rivers known as the Kerala Backwaters. Around 8% of India's waterways lengthwise are found in Kerala. The most significant of Kerala's forty-four rivers include the Periyar (244 km), the Bharathapuzha (209 km), the Pamba (176 km), the Chaliyar (169 km), the Kadalundipuzha River (130 km), the Valapattanam (129 km) and the Achankovil (128 km). As Kerala's rivers are small and lack deltas, they are more prone to environmental factors.
During summer, Kerala is prone to gale force winds, storm surges, cyclone-related torrential downpours, occasional droughts, and rises in sea level. The mean daily temperatures range from 19.8 °C to 36.7 °C and mean annual temperatures range from 25.0--27.5 °C in the coastal lowlands to 20.0--22.5 °C in the eastern highlands.
This footage is part of the professionally-shot broadcast stock footage archive of Wilderness Films India Ltd., the largest collection of imagery from South Asia. The Wilderness Films India collection comprises of thousands of hours of high quality broadcast imagery, mostly shot on HDCAM 1080i High Definition, HDV and XDCAM. Write to us for licensing this footage on a broadcast format, for use in your production! We are happy to be commissioned to film for you or else provide you with broadcast crewing and production solutions across South Asia. We pride ourselves in bringing the best of India and South Asia to the world... Reach us at wfi @ vsnl.com and firstname.lastname@example.org.
License at http://www.paya.com/videos/807302
Standard YouTube License
- 2:32 Herd of wild elephants go on rampage in Assam village, kill womanby India TV Featured 2,421
- 0:36 Man climbs elephant's leg and gets atop the elephant!by WildFilmsIndia3,611 views
- 1:18 DIY for dressing up an elephant, Kochiby WildFilmsIndia805 views
- 1:06 Mother and baby elephants chewing sugarcaneby WildFilmsIndia2,020 views
- 0:49 Elephant prayer in Kochi, Keralaby WildFilmsIndia535 views
- 18:22 Comedy Festival Team Stars of Cochin old man's Marriage Comedyby Curtain Raiser8,503 views
- 12:05 Bhima Comedy Festival 2 Team Stars of Cochin 9-9-2013 Mazhavil Manoramaby PEEPLITv9,843 views
- 44:59 Wild Lion Ganglands National Geographic Documentaryby sam gaffney3,585,517 views
- 10:28 Sivakumar For Facebookby Dileepkumar Gopalakrishnan1,210 views
- 8:10 Ernakulam Jetty, Cochin Warf, Chinees nets & Fort Kochi Beachby Muhammed Anees2,157 views
- 7:49 Lulu Shopping Mall Kochi Inauguration Highlightsby Shoukath K56,226 views
- 23:12 15 04 2013 Super hero Round Team Stars Of Cochin Shikkari Shambhu Comedy Festivalby ComedyFestivalmmtv27,358 views
- 6:25 ELEPHANT ANANTHAPADMANABHAN "MATHANGAKESARIPATTAM"by Ganesh Ananthasivan3,227 views
- 6:00 Matriarch Elephants Protect Baby Elephant from Crocodile Attackby Preservation Wildlife423,928 views
- 11:02 Celebrity fashion show 2012 Cochinby vadayakshy213,940 views
- 6:07 Central zoo Kathmandu, Nepalby Sander1,828 views
- 3:06 ELEPHANT ANANTHAPADMANABHAN VIDEO SONGby Ganesh Ananthasivan5,285 views
- 30:41 30 minutes movies: The Lion Kingby 30 Minutes movies7,915,973 views
- 8:31 Elephants and Crocodiles at Chobe - Botswanaby rndomn864,136 views
- 27:53 Comedy Festival 10-10-13 Team Stars of Cochinby Mega Malayalam59,406 views
- Loading more suggestions...