euronews le mag - Moscow exhibition asks how you perceive women in the world
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Published on Dec 6, 2012
http://www.euronews.com/ Women in the world, at the Moscow Museum of Modern Art. It is a major exhibition that depicts the complex image of a woman in our world today. The colours are dominated by black and white with drawings, paintings, marble sculptures, and even video.
It is the work of Moscow based artist Aidan Salakhova. She depicts women using Oriental stereotypes such as long black veils in an attempt to address political, social, psychological, and spiritual dimensions in both the Islamic and Orthodox worlds.
"This exhibition is about a woman, about her inner world. At first glance it may seem that it is about an Oriental woman, but it's just about a woman. And I chose a veil as just some kind of a beautiful shape and a form that presents some sort of self-censorship that a woman puts upon herself in our patriarchal world and doesn't completely understand what her wishes are and where her comfort zone is," explained Aidan Salakhova.
Salakhova divided the exhibition into three sections: the body, the hands, and the objects.
The idea is to depict systems that manipulate and exploit the female body as an object of voyeurism, pleasure and narcissism.
Although Muslim themes are clearly identified, the artist insisted that she only used the images because of the strong feelings of mystery and closeness they evoked.
"For example, for European women, a woman in a veil is a woman who is not free. And in reality if you put a veil on you feel absolutely different emotions. Being closed from the outside you're absolutely free inside. And with European openness all the ladies put masks on anyway and don't feel free. So why do I cover the images of women in the exhibition with a veil? When you wear a veil you feel inner freedom. So I want women to feel this inner freedom," said Aidan Salakhova.
She has exhibited her artworks at major international art fairs and since the late 1980s has been one of the strongest influences on the development of contemporary art in Russia.
Find us on:
Next in euronews le mag: Season 2 Episodes
- 0:21 Global warming opens new shipping lane through Arcticby Euronews 1,004 views
- 5:11 euronews Life - Moscow by metroby Euronews 17,011 views
- 0:54 Germany moves to ban neo-Nazisby Euronews 1,638 views
- 1:54:52 Gregg Braden - Deep Truth - Conferenceby laurent puechguirbal 34,713 views
- 4:15 Women in Combat - Getting Blocked by GOP?by TheYoungTurks 32,145 views
- 5:33 Tupolev 154 and 134, Yakovlev 40, Ilyushin 18 - Loudby LarusMarinus2000 8,745 views
- 1:44 25.000 Guests At Jewish Orthodox Weddingby VideoNewsPortal 1,202 views
- 29:19 Стекло / The Glass / Stekló (101)by Acte de Sabotage 5,058 views
- 1:22 Veiled Bride on the Belt: Ultra Orthodox Jews Wedding in Jerusalem, Israelby Ana Bella 2,691 views
- 6:47 Один В Один Финал 26 05 2013 Юлия Савичева - Людмила Гурченко! Самая Популярная Русская Песняby Vfkus 69,350 views
- 6:45 Jewish Burqa Trend: The Frumka - pt 1 of 2by oclandestin 29,384 views
- 4:47 Семён Слепаков: Секс с женойby Семен Слепаков 1,470,704 views
- 18:26 If Women Are So Intelligent, Then How Come....?by 6oodfella 8,404 views
- 2:23 Modern Architecture in Iran - Pouya Khazaeli Parsaby pouyakhazaeli 9,961 views
- 4:11 Ustad Sarahang - Shad Kon Jon Manby wahidjon 166,611 views
- 3:00 Christian Royalty Women Dressed Like Muslim Women In Afghanistan, Austria Vienna 1916.mp4by ARSHAIKH12 1,740 views
- 3:55 What are you wearing?by David Withun 8,729 views
- 2:37 Семён Слепаков: Саунаby Семен Слепаков 72,131 views
- 3:47 Семён Слепаков: Палевоby Семен Слепаков 585,851 views