The Waiting Room | Trailer | Independent Lens | PBS
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Published on Jun 19, 2012
Premiering this fall on PBS!
Highland Hospital, a vital part of the city of Oakland, California and the surrounding county, is stretched to the breaking point. It is the primary care facility for 250,000 patients of nearly every nationality, race, and religion, with 250 patients crowding its emergency room every day.
The Waiting Room is an immersive documentary film that weaves together several stories that unfold in surprising ways in the ER waiting room. It is an intimate rendering of the story of our health care system at a moment of great change told through the eyes of people stuck — sometimes for up to 14 hours — in the waiting room. The film tells the story of a remarkably diverse population -- as well as the hospital staff charged with caring for them -- battling their way through the seismic shifts in the nation's health care system, while weathering the storm of a national recession. It is a film about one hospital, its multifaceted community, and how our common vulnerability to illness binds us together as humans.
In a purposefully fragmented style, the film will follow young victims of gun violence, artists and small business owners who lack insurance, steel workers, taxi cab drivers and international asylum seekers, as well as the young doctors, nurses and hospital executives struggling to keep the hospital running smoothly.
Against this backdrop, the film will follow Highland Hospital CEO Wright Lassiter as he struggles to run this complex yet vital institution at a moment of extraordinary change. With the swelling ranks of the uninsured exerting unprecedented pressure on public hospitals, the state budget crisis undermining social service and medical funding, and the current health care reform package threatening to gut public hospitals, Highland faces extinction. Meanwhile, it's just another day in waiting room.
Learn more about "Independent Lens":
Watch "Independent Lens" films online:
Standard YouTube License
- 1:16 the Waiting Room ft. Jasonby ilPOWA! Minecraft Animations & Art!Featured 767,872
- 2:14 Independent Lens | Seeking Asian Female | Clip 2 | PBSby IndependentLens 6,655 views
- 3:04 Independent Lens | Strong! | Trailer | PBSby IndependentLens 9,686 views
- 4:06 Independent Lens | Soul Food Junkies | Clip | PBSby IndependentLens 3,224 views
- 5:01 Independent Lens | Left by the Ship | Video Extra | PBSby IndependentLens 3,128 views
- 1:16:11 Bellevue Inside Outby oPossum5150's channel 133,479 views
- 1:34:43 Making a Killing: The Untold Story of Psychotropic Drugging - Full Movie (Documentary)by derekw6826's channel 372,318 views
- 54:03 Canadian Caper: 6 Americans escape from Iran with the help from the CIA and the Canadian Embassy.wmvby usmc7242 53,215 views
- 1:55:06 Andrew Jackson - Good Evil & The Presidency - PBS Documentaryby Truther Shirts TV 47,961 views
- 7:58 Independent Lens | Do Asian Women Have "White Fever"? | Seeking Asian Female | Video Extra | PBSby Independent Lens 2,048 views
- 2:21 Independent Lens | Left by the Ship | Clip 1 | PBSby IndependentLens 1,063 views
- 24:46 Public Domain Documentaries: The People and the Police: Oakland (1974)by secabol 353 views
- 1:49 Independent Lens | Hell and Back Again | Trailer | PBSby IndependentLens 6,718 views
- 2:28 Independent Lens | The Island President | Trailer | PBSby IndependentLens 465 views
- 0:59 Big Alaska: Modern Day Pioneers " PBS" Documentary "by paulhemann's channel 8,478 views
- 5:54 Emergency Room Video: Good Samaritan Hospital Dayton,OHby Stonegate Communications 36,174 views
- 1:35 [Trailer] The Storm That Swept Mexico PBS Documentaryby Cuauhtli021's channel 9,113 views
- 7:08 Independent Lens | What about Interracial Marriage? | Seeking Asian Female | Video Extra | PBSby Independent Lens 976 views
- 6:57 Educhild Sierra Leoneby Jacob Conteh 757 views
- 9:51 Sounds of Nature: Bird Songs (No Music)by Jessica's Weight Loss Journey!! 609,913 views
- Loading more suggestions...